HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:12 PM

It’s good to see a sizable project like city club midtown planned for the east side of Woodward not only as a catalyst for the continued redevelopment of Brush Park but also adding some balance to the “fox row” of the westside.

This is very exciting proposal knitting in Richard Hubbard, Woodbridge & Downtown with the Corktown not to mention building a strong central foundation for North Corktown.

By the way if anyone knows how to resize images can you send me a message or post it?

Quote:
Crain’s Detroit Business
Kirk Pinho
November 11, 2020

Ford Motor Co. is being wrangled into the city of Detroit's application for a $30 million federal grant for at least 750 new mixed-income housing units in and around the Corktown neighborhood.

The Dearborn-based automaker — which did not respond to requests for comment — is gearing up to transfer some of the parcels an affiliate, 20th Street Properties LLC, owns in the neighborhood west of downtown to Boston-based The Community Builders Inc. so the developer can build about 150 residential units on them, according to Detroit City Council briefing memorandums.

A city spokesperson said there were 26 parcels involved in the transfer for property west of Cochrane Street bounded by the I-75 service drive and Rosa Parks Boulevard but they did not know the total acreage.

Those 150 units would be part of a broader 750-unit, $180 million-plus vision across seven phases over several years for the area, said Julie Schneider, deputy director of Detroit's Housing and Revitalization Department.

And that's part of an even broader framework plan for the neighborhood, which anticipates a mixed-income housing need of 1,100 new units in the next seven to 10 years.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...housing-vision

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 11:21 PM
somewhere in-between

One easy way to resize images manually (assuming you have a PC) is to

1. Save the image to your computer.
2. Open the image in Paint.
3. Select the "Resize" button in the toolbar (shortcut: ctrl + w)
4. In the Resize window that opens, select Pixels (as opposed to Percentage)
5. Change the pixel size. I usually use 1024 Horizontal Width x whatever resultant vertical. 1024 × 768 is a very common display resolution that keeps the images small enough to avoid horizontal scrolling and large enough to still get some clarity & detail resolution on a typical screen. As long as the "Maintain aspect ratio" box is checked, this keeps the proportions correct.
6. Save the resized image and upload it to whatever online platform you use to host embedded images.
7. Embed the image, being sure to cite the original source if it is not your own image.

And voila, that's it. Now, if you need help on how to embed images that you have resized, that's another process, with multiple ways to go about it, depending on what you use. I host images on my OneDrive and my Dropbox accounts. Both let you generate embedded urls (OneDrive will even give you several resize options for the images when generating a url, so you can skip the above steps). There are many other options out there too.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 3:16 PM

Thanks I appreciate it unfortunately I’m in the process of replacing my pc at the moment (only apple products currently). I was hoping there was a way to resize like skyscrapercity has that can be added into the post that I couldn’t find, oh well it’ll be useful information in a month or so when I get around to getting a new pc.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen Mile View Post
Thanks I appreciate it unfortunately I’m in the process of replacing my pc at the moment (only apple products currently). I was hoping there was a way to resize like skyscrapercity has that can be added into the post that I couldn’t find, oh well it’ll be useful information in a month or so when I get around to getting a new pc.
On macOS:

1. Copy image to clipboard or save image.
2. Open the image in Preview.
3. Go to Tools > Adjust Size and then follow the rest of deja vu's instructions.

If you're using iOS/iPadOS, just search the web, plenty of step-by-step guides.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:14 PM
somewhere in-between

Yeah, unfortunately, the old-school interface on Skyscraperpage is not nearly as user-friendly as the newer one at Skyscrapercity. Although I've heard complaints on there too.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 9:28 PM

Lets get back on topic, guys.

The Obama Building opens its doors in historic Old Redford

Quote:
The painting of former President Barack and Michele Obama hung at the corner of Grand River Avenue and Lahser Road for several years, a graceful portrait of the Obamas dancing in tuxedo and ball gown by Detroit artist Chazz Miller.

Colloquially, one might tell their friend to turn right at the Obama building when giving directions to meet at the Redford Theater or Sweet Potato Sensations just around the corner, staples of the Old Redford neighborhood. The Obama building itself, an old bank-turned-department store, had sat vacant for years.

A $3.6 million renovation of the historic bank building, originally built in 1917, brings four loft-style apartments and 8,800 square feet of retail space to Old Redford. The name of the development? The Obama Building, as selected by members of the community themselves.

A celebration was held on Thursday, Nov. 14, to commemorate the opening of The Obama.

Ground breaks for Detroit Shipping Co.'s sister project Complex 444 next month

Quote:
There's a new development in the works by the same people behind the popular Detroit Shipping Co., the Midtown food hall and entertainment venue built from repurposed shipping containers that opened in 2018.

Dubbed "Complex 444," the $6 million, 21,000 square-foot mixed-use space will be located just east of the food hall at 444 Peterboro St., with ground expected to break in December.

The Platform Completes $40M Restoration of Former Cadillac Sales Center in Midtown

Quote:
The Platform, a multi-faceted real estate development firm in Detroit, today announced the completion of a $40-million renovation of the historic, Albert Kahn-designed 6001 Cass building in the Midtown district near Tech Town.

As part of today’s announcement, company officials unveiled one of the largest vertical blade signs in the city. The four-story sign, standing 44 feet tall and 12 feet wide, replicates a Cadillac LaSalle sign that once adorned the building more than 75 years ago.

The sign highlights two of the building’s largest tenants. In October 2019, Tata Technologies relocated its North American headquarters to the top floor of 6001 Cass, occupying 20,000 square feet and adding 150 jobs.

Detroit Riverfront Conservancy and Metroparks to Partner at Wilson Centennial Park

[QUOTE]The Detroit Riverfront Conservancy and Huron-Clinton Metroparks announced Thursday a multi-year, pilot partnership that focuses on new programs and recreation opportunities for city and suburban families at the future Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Centennial Park on the West Riverfront.

Through the partnership, Metroparks will establish a physical presence in Detroit and contribute $6 million over seven years to the conservancy for expanded programs and operations at the new park, slated to open in 2023.

The agreement begins immediately with two years of combined programming and joint outreach efforts leading up to the opening of Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Centennial Park along the Detroit Riverfront. Once the park is open, the agreement includes another five years of partnership that leverages the strengths of each organization.[QUOTE]

New development in Detroit will bring trade school to neighborhood

Quote:
A new trade school and company headquarters are coming to a neighborhood off Livernois in Detroit.

The Black-owned construction engineering firm Gayanga Co. has purchased four parcels of land in the Hope Village neighborhood and plans to build training facilities at 14584 Livernois and a headquarters building at 14400 Wildemere.

The training facility will teach trade skills to Detroiters and will include a full-service garage.

"This neighborhood is a strong neighborhood," said Brian McKinney, CEO and founder of Gayanga, known in the city for many demolition projects.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:40 AM

Ford unveils Michigan Central site plan for Corktown
Quote:
Ford Motor Co. on Tuesday unveiled its site plan for Michigan Central, the project to transform the area around the historic former train depot in the city's Corktown neighborhood into a campus focused on the mobility and transportation methods that will define the future of the automotive industry.

At a virtual community meeting, the Dearborn automaker revealed its vision for the four-building, 30-acre campus, which it is in the midst of redeveloping via a $740 million project that aims to connect to the surrounding neighborhood. Ford described the planned campus as an "inclusive, vibrant and walkable innovation district."

The proposed site plan will require approvals from several city departments, a process Ford has begun.

East of the station, Ford plans to build a parking garage and mobility hub with 1,250 parking spots for workers. The hub will feature exterior artwork, two new public plazas, green spaces, and a tree canopy. It will offer electric charging, smart parking and payment systems, space utilization sensors and smart lockers.
Aerial view:

Plan:

Book Depository:

Platform & Vernor Plaza:

Bagley Parking:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:35 PM
homesick alien

Where the fuck are the high speed trains

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:11 PM

Not all that nice looking is it.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Where the fuck are the high speed trains
When Canada gets it's shit together and starts work on the Detroit/Windsor-Toronto corridor.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:23 AM

Thanks on the input I got spoiled with ease of just googling related images and picking the size I wanted, I’ll get around to editing my previous post the next I’m not just making a quick post from my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
When Canada gets it's shit together and starts work on the Detroit/Windsor-Toronto corridor.
They’re just being polite and waiting for Moroun and Co to finalize their plans to bring in private and public entities on a Michigan Ave light rail line.

Like the north one said it really does make all too much sense to plan in some way shape or form for potential future high speed commuter usage with how much promise this corridor holds and half the work is nearly done on the much less train friendly US side. Perhaps once Rob Ford is out of office, either way FoMoCo’s purpose for this campus is R&D on future of transportation some kind of a intermodal hub worked into the public space would be a great way to demo how their technology can fit into a much less 2 car in every garage friendly era.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 1:19 PM

It is crazy that between GM, Ford, and FCA the Detroit area could be a Mecca for electric and autonomous vehicles, obviously it wouldn't compete with Silicon Valley but the amount of start ups and OEMs that could move into the area, as well, as larger companies looking to invest could be a huge bright spot for Detroit. Electric is the way of the future.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:12 PM

The Metro area and increasingly as of late the city itself has always been a tech center the automation ally boom in the 90’s is perhaps the most well known iteration of the regions tech continued prowess.

However following the economic recovery after the 2008 recession Metro Detroit became one of the leading producers of tech jobs as many entrepreneurs who diversified away from the automotive industry during the recession saw huge gains as the regional economic ecosystem flourished with the auto industry with its best years since the boom of the 90’s. In 2011

This article from Forbes on the leading tech economies for 2017 sums it up well.

Quote:
Easily the biggest surprise on the list is Detroit, which improved its position to ninth, a remarkable 30-place jump from the last edition of this list in 2015. It generated 26% growth in high-tech jobs and boosted its STEM employment by 8.4%. Despite the decline of the central city, the Detroit metro area has never faded as a technical center; due largely to the auto industry its per capita STEM employment has long been above the national average. This is reflected in a post-recession boom in engineering services in the region – some 14,000 new jobs since 2006 – leaving Detroit with a concentration of engineering services more than three times the national average. Its percentage of STEM workers is 50% above the U.S. norm, roughly equivalent to that of Raleigh-Durham, Boston and Denver.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...53D%253D#ampf=

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambe160 View Post
It is crazy that between GM, Ford, and FCA the Detroit area could be a Mecca for electric and autonomous vehicles, obviously it wouldn't compete with Silicon Valley but the amount of start ups and OEMs that could move into the area, as well, as larger companies looking to invest could be a huge bright spot for Detroit. Electric is the way of the future.
Never say never this report by the Anderson group comparing S.E. MI & Silicon Valley shows Detroit not only competing with SV in job creation and STEM grads. It also shows that Detroit Region had the 2nd greatest concentration of tech jobs outside of Silicon Valley. Granted this is a snapshot in time when the SV was in the tech recession but it shows the fundamentals of the regional economy have the resources to compete with the best.

Disruption is the name of the game during the 2010’s the region was able come off from arguably one of its lowest points and compete at the top of the nations 15 big tech hubs. Who knows what the future will bring with the future of transportation as we know it in the infancy of being redefined. At the very least Detroit is well positioned to compete as the “new” economy evolves.

Quote:
- Tech industry employment in metro Detroit is up 15 percent from the previous year’s study, while Silicon Valley shows a 4 percent drop.
Metro Detroit’s technology sector added more than 30,000 jobs, while Silicon Valley’s technology sector lost 10,000.

- Schools in metro Detroit graduated more students in the areas of engineering and engineering technology than any other region in the study, with more science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) and computer-science graduates than Silicon Valley.

- Detroit had the highest concentration of tech jobs in the Midwest and was second nationally to Silicon Valley.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...han-in-silicon

Speaking of innovation and tech ... innovation and tech are being suggested for long stalled Herman Kiefer complex redevelopment.

Quote:
Herman Kiefer developer touts site for innovation hub, medical technology complex

Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News
Nov. 19 2020

A developer for the former Herman Kiefer hospital site is marketing the sprawling grounds for a potential innovation hub, garment manufacturing or medical technology complex.

Ron Castellano, managing member of Herman Kiefer Development LLC, on Thursday shared his vision for a "commercial, job-generating campus" across the 11 buildings on the 860,000-square-foot site.

During an annual update on the planned $143 million, eight-year project, Castellano touted the concept of an International Center for Automobile Innovation, adding he's brought on a brokerage firm to help market the campus to attract tenants.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne..._medium=UpNext

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 4:47 AM

About time! Crazy to think this project was first announced in 2013:

Work begins on 204-unit Woodward West on long-vacant land in Midtown

Quote:
A large, long-vacant lot on prime real estate along Woodward in Midtown is about to be transformed into a five-story apartment building with ground-level retail.

The Detroit-based developers, Queen Lillian and The Platform, announced Thursday that work has begun on the $60 million project called Woodward West, which is slated to include 204 apartments and nearly 25,000 square feet of ground level retail on Woodward at Stimson, just south of Martin Luther King Boulevard.

Center for LGBTQ+ youth breaks ground 'in the heart of the city'

Quote:
The Ruth Ellis Center and City of Detroit broke ground Friday on a $15 million new permanent housing development along Woodward for LGBTQ+ youth.

Called the Ruth Ellis Clairmount Center, the ground-up 43-unit, 44,000-square-foot mixed-use project at 61 Clairmount St. will have housing, a health clinic and community space.

Capital Stone Hand Carved for Ford’s Michigan Central

Quote:
A new 11,500-pound replica of an original capital stone has been created and installed in the waiting room façade of Ford Motor Co.’s Michigan Central Station in Detroit’s Corktown neighborhood.

The replica is part of Ford’s efforts to restore the building to its original grandeur as it turns the station into the centerpiece of its soon-to-be mobility innovation district.

John Goodrow Sr. of Capital Stoneworks Inc. in Bridgeport, Mich. spent 428 hours carving the stone from a 21,000-pound limestone block. He started the project Sept. 1 and completed it in late October.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:04 PM

I'm sure most of you guys have seen this already, but it could be another step in actually establishing "The District" after all these years.

Ilitch Company Plans Big Residential Redevelopment Near Arena

Quote:
The Ilitch family organization says it intends to renovate six historic Detroit apartment buildings that it owns near Little Caesars Arena and rent them out as a mix of affordable and market-rate housing, a turnaround from its earlier plans for demolishing some of the buildings. The buildings date from the 1900s to the early 1920s and are situated side-by-side along a block at Cass and Henry Street. Two of the buildings currently house tenants; the others are shuttered and vacant.

The $60 million project would create 170 newly renovated apartments, with 84 of the units reserved at lower rents for income-qualified tenants — including the existing renters, said Keith Bradford, vice president of the organization's Olympia Development. In addition, a seventh and smaller former commercial building on Henry also would be renovated and turned into "community space."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations