HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:13 PM

This was pretty much a given, but Kenney officially on board: “ideal site for a world class sports and entertainment arena.”

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:13 PM

Shifting away from the arena for a quick sec - looks like permits were extended for the Gretz site. I would be so delighted to see these beautiful buildings brought back to life.

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...GIyg&fs=e&s=cl

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:19 PM

I know it's a lot to ask for, but all I want for the Disney Hole is a 1000-footer. Anything over 1000 is fine.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:40 PM

Sixers

ESPN actually has a decent article with some tidbits not in the Inquirer.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-arena-2031-32

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I’d like to see the eastern half of FD demolished as well. Urban enclosed malls are lame. Put a east/west walkway through it like they did with East Market and two towers on each side and boom make it an extension of the Arena District.
Based on the website FAQ it looks like the whole site is going to be repurposed into sports focused space. Would be cool to have something like xfinity live in the rest of the building.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Fashion District remodeling was just done for $400M, and this plan eliminates half of it?

That is on top of the $1.3B it will cost to build the new arena?

What needs to be done is for Comcast to exit the sports business. Sell the Wells Fargo Center, the Flyers, and the land in South Philly to Harris & Co, and place the new arena where the old Spectrum once stood.
Oh Jesus Christ.

This message board is for urbanites.

Go back to Collegeville.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Based on the website FAQ it looks like the whole site is going to be repurposed into sports focused space. Would be cool to have something like xfinity live in the rest of the building.
I'm not going to say I told you so, but that doesn't tell me that the Fashion District is doing well.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:07 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
PREIT filed for bankruptcy. I don't think they have control over FD anymore. They were on a down hill trajectory to begin with, then the pandemic was like the nail in the coffin.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:12 PM

This seems like best case scenario in terms of downtown site. Obviously don’t need to worry about public transit but regardless of our feeling on here, their number one worry needs to be vehicle traffic. This is going to be a mess for cars and I worry there’s going to be a “need” to expand streets around here through Chinatown etc. Could help or hurt Reading Terminal and the idea of a sports designated district here doesn’t need to be forced. A few sports related places sure but continue to allow it to be diverse with shopping, upscale eating, perhaps some kind of outpost for Reading Terminal vendors, connect with Chinatown and Gayborhood businesses. Would love to see stores there now to simply scoot across the street for a nice mixed use avenue. Could be absolutely amazing for the area. Unfortunately the negadelphian in me says if this is even remotely half assed, it could just be an arena surrounded by Market East.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:16 PM

No. Just no. Find an empty lot. Disney Hole or my favorite: "Washington Square Garden" on the side of the Roundhouse and vacant lots behind.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:17 PM

My only concern is truck traffic for non-basketball events, like concerts. Loading dock will most likely be on Filbert Street. If nothing changes, streets-wise, that area will be gridlock city when concerts are loading in/out.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Mostly thrilled about this proposal, but re: Filbert: covered or eliminated? My only reservation.

I haven't been to City Winery, but isn't it on the next block?

I was excited when the AMC was announced, but I despise the the AMC Dine-in thing. I know people love Alamo Drafthouse. Maybe they're just better at it? Personally, I want to see an Angelika as part of a mixed use megaproject at the Disney Hole.
Just tried AMC dine in for the first time recently. A big disappointment compared with Studio Movie Grill in UD. Much better selection and service at the latter.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:30 PM

Would have preferred them stick with tradition in the complex, but understand wanting to break out of the Wells Fargo Center's shadow.

Would have liked them to build over the tracks by 30th Street and really spur development, but could kind of see an argument about cost constraints (especially with no public funding - awesome!).

This location isn't bad, it's central and should improve that stretch of Market. I guess I'm onboard.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Oh Jesus Christ.

This message board is for urbanites.

Go back to Collegeville.
I don't think that will get you drafted by the local debate team.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:51 PM

30th street area has way worse highway access and no train access to NJ (NJ transit has one stop in Pennsauken but it's not a fast or reliable method compared to Patco). Plus surely 95 can handle more traffic better than 76. The Fashion District is the most connected area in the whole city and probably one of the most accessible in the whole country. It's sad but the Fashion District was a mistake from the start. Malls are not coming back, certainly not one in the heart of center city.

As a huge Sixers fan, I've dreamt about this for years. NCAA tournament games, Disney on Ice, Concerts, Big 5 games, etc. this is the future of Market East as a lively area.

This is big opportunity for Septa/Patco. The Chase Center allows all event tickets to be used as Muni train passes which is just genius. A free ticket is built in to all Warriors/concert tickets. I assume Septa will start running some game specific schedules like regional rail trains that leave 20 minutes after the game is over. I'd also love for a Broad Ridge Spur revival for this project. Reopen the old station at Ridge and Spring Garden.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Every post you make is some weird take on why developments will fail. Take a step back, dude.
The one I usually say will not work is the one involving the parking lot at the corner of 34th & Market. Guess what, it's still a parking lot.

I may have also said the tower proposal on East Market right across from City Hall wasn't going anywhere either. It hasn't.

As far as the arena - the best location remains in South Philly, at the former site of Spectrum.

If you are going to try and jam an arena in center city, then it should go above the tracks, north of 30th Street Station. That would generate much more construction - for it would be similar to that of Brooklyn Yards.

Last edited by christof; Jul 21, 2022 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
My only concern is truck traffic for non-basketball events, like concerts. Loading dock will most likely be on Filbert Street. If nothing changes, streets-wise, that area will be gridlock city when concerts are loading in/out.
All the more reason to go slightly to the "fringe" around the Roundhouse. Still right around MFL, BSL spur, and Patco. That could spur development in this quadrant of town that is sorely lacking on the fringes of Chinatown.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:55 PM

Quote:
The one I usually say will not work is the one involving the parking lot at the corner of 36th & Market. Guess what, it's still a parking lot.

I may have also said the tower proposal on East Market right across from City Hall wasn't going anywhere either. It hasn't.

As far as the arena - the best location remains in South Philly, at the former site of Spectrum.

If you are going to try and jam an arena in center city, then it should go above the tracks, north of 30th Street Station. That would generate much more construction - for it would be similar to that of Brooklyn Yards.
36th and Market has buildings on all four corners.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:

Firstly, why would they ever build a new arena next to the Wells Fargo Center? The Sixers have different owners than the Flyers/Wells Fargo Center. They want to compete with the Wells Fargo Center so every concert can book downtown in a brand new arena or 1996 Wells Fargo Center.

Secondly 30th street station is not in Center City. The 30th Street rail yards are directly next to Powelton village and Mantua. This would create an uproar about low density row home communities having an arena built in their front yard blocking the view of the city.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
30th street area has way worse highway access and no train access to NJ (NJ transit has one stop in Pennsauken but it's not a fast or reliable method compared to Patco). Plus surely 95 can handle more traffic better than 76. The Fashion District is the most connected area in the whole city and probably one of the most accessible in the whole country. It's sad but the Fashion District was a mistake from the start. Malls are not coming back, certainly not one in the heart of center city.

As a huge Sixers fan, I've dreamt about this for years. NCAA tournament games, Disney on Ice, Concerts, Big 5 games, etc. this is the future of Market East as a lively area.

This is big opportunity for Septa/Patco. The Chase Center allows all event tickets to be used as Muni train passes which is just genius. A free ticket is built in to all Warriors/concert tickets. I assume Septa will start running some game specific schedules like regional rail trains that leave 20 minutes after the game is over. I'd also love for a Broad Ridge Spur revival for this project. Reopen the old station at Ridge and Spring Garden.
Love the ticket idea, but SEPTA needs to get past the already outdated Key system and go with Apple Wallet and the like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development