HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 5:57 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
General perception and cultural differences aside, there's no logical argument to be made for keeping Washington and Baltimore separate if you're willing to group SF-SJ and Boston-Providence. DC shouldn't be "punished" because Baltimore has an older history and was the larger of the two up until the 2020 census, despite DC itself being a pre-war city and clearly the more prominent of the two going back to at least the FDR administration. Baltimore's airport code has been BWI since 1973 — basically since wide-body jetliners were first introduced — serves PG's County. And Anne Arundel and Howard Counties are well within the orbit of DC by virtue of geographic proximity, the farthest locales being only about 25 miles from the District as the crow flies.
Sure there is. SF/SJ is continuously urban. Wa/Bal isn't.

That's just for CSAs which have to follow standard rules.

Get beyond that, into job markets, media markets, culture, etc., and Wa/Bal is completely different.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Sure there is. SF/SJ is continuously urban. Wa/Bal isn't.
If anything, I can more clearly detect the break between SF and SJ than I can between Baltimore and Washington. But I think both have equally strong arguments to be considered a single multi-polar MSA.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 6:35 PM

The thing that really stands out for me is how far and how fast Detroit has dropped in the rankings. As late as 1980 Detroit was the 5th largest metro in the US and now doesn't even crack the top 10 and continues to fall and by 2050 Detroit may not even be in the top 20.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 7:07 PM

CSAs seem murky. If were talking over lapping trade areas, the bay should also include Sacramento. Also the Detroit metro for all practical terms is 7 million people. That would include Windsor, Toledo and Lansing which sends commuters to SE Michigan every day. Also I'm not sure how to classify SE Florida. The cement doesn't end from Key Largo to Jupiter. What is that, 9 or 10 million?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 7:15 PM
Never Dell

I'd love to see this "break" between SF and SJ.

Start with the county line, which runs through a pretty dense area. But any idea would be great to hear.

Then there's the shared media market, shared sports team market, shared job market (with the largest cluster basically in the middle)...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 7:19 PM

Quote:

Start with the county line, which runs through a pretty dense area. But any idea would be great to hear.

Then there's the shared media market, shared sports team market, shared job market (with the largest cluster basically in the middle)...
…and shared commuter rail

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 8:54 PM

Quote:

There feels like a clear break between SF and Silicon Valley on I-280 around here: https://goo.gl/maps/oTEsoigscMVUUo9X6

There's nothing resembling that between Baltimore and Washington. And you can also make all of those points about Baltimore and Washington. Even the shared media market, since as I stated above, the coverage of both markets largely overlap the same geographic area.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
There feels like a clear break between SF and Silicon Valley on I-280 around here: https://goo.gl/maps/oTEsoigscMVUUo9X6

There's nothing resembling that between Baltimore and Washington.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1479...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 8:59 PM

Also, the interstate isn't the correct metric. It could be located outside of urbanity (I-280 kinda is...) and it would be perfectly normal. In fact, a continuous urban area could well NOT even have an interstate going through it or even anywhere near it; see how irrelevant the interstate is to the argument.

Similarly, it's easier to find empty spots on I-95 than it is on US 1.

The emptiest area of the US 101 between SF and SJ looks like what? I'd compare that to US 1 in the Baltwash area.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You think that's similar to this? https://goo.gl/maps/pX8n44LmSapuZrpe7

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 9:12 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
That's funny! And extremely disengenuous.

Go a mile or two out of the hills, directly east: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5329.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 9:16 PM

Quote:
That's funny! And extremely disengenuous.

Go a mile or two out of the hills, directly east: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5329.../data=!3m1!1e3
What about it? You asked me to point to what feels like the break point between SF and SJ and I gave it to you lol. I was never arguing that these were completely distinct places.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 9:32 PM
你的媽媽

I'm not sure how showing screenshots of 280 is evidence that there is a break between SF and SJ. It's a north-south freeway that runs roughly parallel to the ridge of the Santa Cruz Mountains, bordering the fringes of mid-Peninsula development.

It's functionally the same concept as using this road as evidence there is a break between SF and SJ: https://goo.gl/maps/wyTEhUp1mtX77enA6. The Santa Cruz Mountains are permanent open space preserve, so it's functionally as developable as the Pacific Ocean.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
What about it? You asked me to point to what feels like the break point between SF and SJ and I gave it to you lol. I was never arguing that these were completely distinct places.
Smells like damage control. You’re better off saying the towns in Marin County and the North Bay are not part of the MSA or CSA if we’re talking about a break in development. That’s like if a highway went through the Everglades from Miami to get to Fort Lauderdale or Boca Raton and calling it a break between two metros.

Last edited by Cory; Jul 10, 2022 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 10:57 PM

What's the point of this discussion? UAs, MSAs and CSAs have nothing to do with "break in development".

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 1:36 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

Transit is only thing I can think of officially separating the two. SF area has BART, SJ has VTA though I have a card that works on everything in the Bay Area. I live in Fremont which is part of SF metro but am closer to SJ and go there more often. The 49'ers play in Santa Clara (near San Jose). I'm sure there are a of Sharks fans in SF.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Transit is only thing I can think of officially separating the two. SF area has BART, SJ has VTA though I have a card that works on everything in the Bay Area. I live in Fremont which is part of SF metro but am closer to SJ and go there more often. The 49'ers play in Santa Clara (near San Jose). I'm sure there are a of Sharks fans in SF.
Caltrain connects from SF to SJ and hits almost every major employment center in between. It’s what makes living in SF and working in Silicon Valley somewhat doable although I’m sure there are still plenty that work from home now.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 2:36 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
If anything, I can more clearly detect the break between SF and SJ than I can between Baltimore and Washington.
Huh? I have driven between DC and Baltimore at least 20 times and it is not like this at the border at all in my experience...

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/...ghway-101-sili

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The thing that really stands out for me is how far and how fast Detroit has dropped in the rankings. As late as 1980 Detroit was the 5th largest metro in the US and now doesn't even crack the top 10 and continues to fall and by 2050 Detroit may not even be in the top 20.
Detroit dropped to 12th in 2010 and kept its position in 2020.

I only see Seattle and Phoenix overtaking it. Minneapolis and Denver are too far away.

Quote:

There's nothing resembling that between Baltimore and Washington. And you can also make all of those points about Baltimore and Washington. Even the shared media market, since as I stated above, the coverage of both markets largely overlap the same geographic area.
And two miles parallel to it: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5166...7i16384!8i8192

This highway goes through a park. Central Park doesn't mean Midtown and Harlem are two separated urban areas.

It's pretty obvious San Francisco and San Jose are a single urban area. Ditto for Los Angeles and the Inland Empire.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 2:04 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The Bay area has the most balkanized transit. Caltrain, BART, ACE, Muni, SamTrans,VTA, ACTransit, Contra Costa transit (or whatever it's called), Golden Gate transit, to name a few....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions