HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:30 AM
你的媽媽

San Francisco: Chinatown and the Central Subway

Just some shots of the oldest and most vibrant traditional Chinatown in the US, and the one that has been able to most retain its original customs, language, and identity.

Despite being a major tourist attraction, and many residents moving to the Richmond, Sunset, and Visitacion Valley neighborhoods, and beyond to the East and South Bay, it's still densely populated (62,500 per sq mi) almost entirely by Chinese speaking only Asians. And many that moved away still come back frequently to visit relatives and shop and eat and walk around. There are still many operating associations, temples, schools, mahjong parlors, herbal shops, dim sum and roast duck shops, bakeries, and other small businesses. There's even a Chinese Hospital where Bruce Lee was born. Many mistake Chinatown for a tourist trap, but simply walk Stockton instead of Grant, and many of the side streets in between, and you'll notice a huge difference. More recently, there have been a few higher end developments and upscale restaurants and food hall to help spur further interest in Chinatown, guiding it towards the future while still showing appreciation for its roots.

The development and opening of the Central Subway in late 2022 has been an excellent addition to improve connectivity to this historic and still thriving neighborhood that has been marginalized and has constantly battled discrimination since its origin. It is projected to be the Muni Metro line with the highest ridership by 2030. The total final cost of the Central Subway extension (1.7 mile subway with 3 subway stations and 0.4 mile surface track with 1 surface station) came out to $1.95 billion.

In this thread, I will share photos of current and future events of SF Chinatown (and some of the immediately adjacent neighborhoods, and maybe the Richmond/Sunset/Vis Valley as well), and also take you on a tour of the new Central Subway, which currently stretches from Chinatown, through downtown, SoMa, Mission Bay, Dogpatch, Bayview/Hunters Point, and ending in Vis Valley. Future plans include an extension to North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf, and possibly the Marina/Presidio.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:47 AM
你的媽媽

Chinatown Station

The main entrance on Stockton and Washington

Transit usage is very high among Chinatown residents and visitors

Aside from the main signage on the station, there's also this little sign on the street

There's a little rooftop deck on the station

Little Chinese pavilion with bench seating for gambling aunties and uncles

A grandma watching the Muni workers reattach the trolley pole to the overhead wires

Immediately inside the station

After descending the first short set of escalators/stairs, there is this beautiful artwork

A look back up at the stairs

Upon descending the second longer set of escalators/stairs, there is an even larger art piece. The jade colored tile on the walls is a really nice complimentary touch.

The gates to go into the station

A look back up at the escalators. You can see how deep the station is.

The area where you can purchase tickets or add fare

The elevators

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:07 AM
你的媽媽

After going through the gates, you are greeted by some more artwork

The elevators to go down to the platform level

You can get a glimpse of the tracks beyond the station

Some more artwork about the history of Chinatown and Muni

The escalators to go down to the platform

And the view from the bottom of the escalators

Some of the signage. The Chinatown station also shares its name with Rose Pak, a local Chinatown political activist, who has done some great work in the community. Keeping the Chinese Hospital open, organizing the Chinese New Year Parade, and advocating for the Central Subway project.

The perforated paneling is really well done aside from this part. Would've liked to see more of the piping covered up with the paneling here, similar to how you'd cut up backsplash tile for a power outlet. Probably some cost cutting/savings at play here.

Chinatown is currently the terminal station. You can see the end of the tunnel here. Hopefully funding is secured for future extension towards North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf soon.

It may not look like it in these photos but Chinatown is easily the busiest station of the Central Subway from what I've seen. I'd say about 90% of the people I've seen riding it are Cantonese speaking aunties and uncles, which isn't too surprising given the demographics above ground.

The other improvement I'd like to see is shorter wait times in between trains. 10 min intervals can be a bit long. 5 min would be much more reasonable but that'd probably increase operational costs, especially with staffing. Other than that, travel time from Chinatown to SoMa is super fast and efficient.

The stairwell on the other end of the platform

Lots of employees around, I'm guessing since it just opened so they're conducting some studies or surveys

That's a wrap for Chinatown station

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:53 AM
你的媽媽

And some photos of Chinatown before moving on to the next stop on the line, Union Square/Market Street.

Not just a hole in the wall restaurant, but a hole in the ground

The stairs leading down to the restaurant

Seafood crispy noods

The Chinatown side of the Stockton Street Tunnel. The Central Subway is underneath this.

I usually opt to walk on top of it for the views

This is where Chinatown borders Nob Hill, looking towards the FiDi down the California Street canyon

The quintessential California Street shot

Some nice looking Nob Hill residential. Behind me is the Ritz-Carlton

Here's the view towards Union Square and Market Street.

The Ritz and one of my favorite buildings in SF, 555 California

The Pine Street canyon, looking towards Market Street (Market is a diagonal street so you can actually be looking both to the East and South and still be looking at Market)

I'll end this portion with this although it's technically in the Union Square neighborhood. This is 450 Sutter, a Neo-Mayan art deco masterpiece completed in 1929, which interestingly served as inspiration for Pietro Belluschi to incorporate a similar facade to 555 California.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:29 PM

Great photos! And I've also always loved 555 California. For the era it was built, I thought it was kind of ahead of its time. It's almost proto-Post-Modern, being it was built during the heyday of the glass box skyscraper era.

We're planning on going to San Francisco in June. We'll definitely make it a point to ride the Central Subway, too.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:13 PM
你的媽媽

On the way to the Union Square/Market Street station. The Siemens S200s are well lit, spacious, and clean.

And fast. Probably about a minute to the next stop.

This station is unfortunately a lot less interesting. Apparently it was a design choice to leave the walls barren like that. At least the ceiling has some designs.

The escalators leading up to the main concourse

The walls here are glad with some sort of glassy tile and the pipes are also wrapped in a similar material

Another deep station

A light show on the ceiling

The temporary signage showing how to get to the Powell Street station to transfer to the Bart/Muni Market Street subway. Not super intuitive. Hopefully they install more permanent and clear wayfinders for more smooth and efficient transfers, especially for tourists/visitors.

Some more signage and a closer look at the controversial bare concrete walls

The underground connection to Powell Street station is actually pretty quick. Takes under 30 seconds to get from the Muni exit gates to Powell Street station gate area.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:34 PM
你的媽媽

A quick peep around Union Square

A short set of stairs/escalators to get from the concourse to the street level

Here's the entrance/exit to the station itself

Not super inspiring design but it blends in well with the rest of Union Square, as if it has always been there.

This is the roof of the station. Not sure if they plan to add benches or something here at some point

And back down we go. This art installation is called Lucy in the Sky by Erwin Redl and consists of hundreds LED-array-illuminated translucent panels on the ceiling, programmed to change colors, display patterns, and animations.

Tap your phone or Clipper card to enter

A bit of a boring station but at least the benches are nice

The tunnel back towards Chinatown station

Next stop Yerba Buena/Moscone

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:59 PM
你的媽媽

This station is certainly more interesting than Union Square, but overall nothing particularly ground breaking. Chinatown is definitely the star of the subway and where it seems most of the budget went as far as thoughtful design, materials, and artwork.

At the mezzanine level inside of the faregates

Some artwork above the faregates and the elevators off to the side

And the station entrance

Would've been better to have this entrance either at 4th & Howard or a second entrance at 4th & Howard, so it could be closer to the actual entrance of Moscone Center and Yerba Buena Gardens. The current location is kind of in no man's land.

Time to head back down and check out the next stop

Some folks waiting to board the train to Chinatown

We're headed towards Mission Bay/Sunnydale

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:32 PM

Wow, that Chinatown station is stunning. Good job SF!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:39 PM
你的媽媽

And finally this is the last of the new stations as part of the Central Subway/T Third extension.

Fourth/Brannan

This station is built with the same design as all the other surface level stations on T Third, so nothing new here other than it's a newly built station.

Not much else interesting about this station, but I will add that this station is actually probably one of the more exciting ones given the amount of development it will likely spur. Here's an example of one currently under construction, a 501 unit residential building.

What it'll look like when completed, courtesy of SF YIMBY. SSP build thread here.

Headed towards Fourth/King. In this shot, there's a few 400+ ft residential towers (636 4th St and 655 4th St) totaling about 1600 units being planned, right next to that brick building at 4th & Bluxome. If these can be completed, it'll really help level up this area and provide some nice density.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:56 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Great photos! And I've also always loved 555 California. For the era it was built, I thought it was kind of ahead of its time. It's almost proto-Post-Modern, being it was built during the heyday of the glass box skyscraper era.

We're planning on going to San Francisco in June. We'll definitely make it a point to ride the Central Subway, too.
Thanks! Hope you enjoy your visit! There's still a lot of protective tape and rough edges and temporary signages laying about that need to be cleaned up, but overall the subway is very user friendly and an efficient way to get around.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 7:23 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Wow, that Chinatown station is stunning. Good job SF!
Agreed, love the Chinatown design. Vibes perfectly and pays homage to the local community. The other stations are just okay, if not slightly underwhelming especially when compared to the Chinatown station. Would've liked to see them incorporate some type of continuity or design elements relative to their respective locations. But overall still a great project and hopefully things run smoothly.

I'll also add that my only other gripe is that only the Union Square station has two entrances. I think the Chinatown and YB/Moscone stations could've benefited from two entrances as well, although I understand that gets tricky with eminent domain especially in an area that is already as densely populated and rooted as Chinatown.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 8:44 PM

Looking on Google it appears this line goes all the way to Visitacion Valley. Did the line formerly terminate at San Francisco Station and this new extension brings it from there to Chinatown?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 9:30 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Looking on Google it appears this line goes all the way to Visitacion Valley. Did the line formerly terminate at San Francisco Station and this new extension brings it from there to Chinatown?
Yeah pretty much. The previous T Third line went from Vis Valley up to 4th & King, which is right across from the San Francisco Caltrain station I think you're referring to. And the old route turned onto King/Embarcadero and curved up to feed into the Market Street Subway. Essentially there was no direct connection via Muni Metro to downtown or Chinatown.

The new T Third proceeds straight along 4th, feeding into the new Central Subway extension, going downtown under the Market Street subway, making a slight turn under Stockton and straight to Chinatown.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 9:37 PM
你的媽媽

Another way to visualize the before and after:

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 9:59 PM

Thanks for posting the before and after routes! I was trying to remember where the T Third line originally ended on the northern end. I knew I wasn't losing it... I remember my partner and me catching the T line from the Embarcadero, and we headed south to where it ends at the Sunnydale Station some years ago. I'm thinking of riding it end to end on our next trip to SF, for a slightly different experience, catching it from Chinatown.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 10:45 PM

Those visualizations are very helpful, thanks! And thanks for sharing the photos!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:15 AM
Community Guy

This shot never gets old.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:39 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
How long is the walkway from Powell to Union Square?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:22 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I have yet to take Muni since I've been here...need to remedy that. Great tour.

Quote:
Future plans include an extension to North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf, and possibly the Marina/Presidio.
This would be fantastic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos