HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 12:56 AM

Great pictures! I especially liked the contrast between the snow and when the storm passed, from the same spot in consecutive pictures.

I remember two blizzards down here in Delaware: 1993 and 1996. One of those two (1993, I think) was notable because I missed a week of school. We got "only" a foot of snow, and they were plowing the roads to stay on top of things, and then we got an inch of ice on the tail end of the storm. So all the plowing meant that the ice stuck to the road surface, instead of resting on top of the snow.

The most snow we ever got in 24 hours in Delaware was 29 inches, in 2010.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 2:38 AM

Roof structure must be extremely strong in that area. It certainly should be. When San Antonio had 13.2 inches of snow in the 80s (January 12, 1985), there was a lot of roof damage, since even an inch of snow is rare that far south.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Roof structure must be extremely strong in that area. It certainly should be. When San Antonio had 13.2 inches of snow in the 80s (January 12, 1985), there was a lot of roof damage, since even an inch of snow is rare that far south.
Ww do not hear much about roof damages during winters here. Bigger issue can be snow and water intrusion, particularly during freeze-thaw cycles than can allow water into and around shingles and flashing if there is inadequate pitch or if roofing is improperly installed. After the storm I also saw wind damage to some metal trim and siding, likely due to poor installation as it only affects a few structures, like the same house down the block that had the problems previously. Where weight of snow had been an issue is in older buildings with flat roofs that were already had compromised due to previous leakage.

Also, during this blizzard, unlike other storms, the dendrites were fractured by the strong winds into fine particles that found their way into small cracks in uninsulated attics and windows that sometimes resulted in enough accumulation to cause minor staining and water damage to some home's ceilings. My home was fine. Here you can see how the snow was driven through the fine cracks around the outside storm window and accumulated in the gap between the storm window and the inside double-hung windows.

Outside, the snow in the drifts was so tightly packed that it could be cut out into blocks and stacked, and had to be broken apart to pass through my snowblower.
Kind of like a meringue cookie consistency, lightweight but solid, though easily broken. You can kind of see that in this picture from my garage door.

Last edited by benp; Jan 9, 2023 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:02 AM
them bones

That last picture is staggering. I’ve lived where it snows, but even S.E. Michigan doesn’t get anything like that. Not that I ever experienced anyway.

Like Sopas, I don’t particularly care for snow, except when it’s on the mountains or for like a few hours to play in. It’s better than rain though and does make for nice padding when skating on a frozen lake.

Amazing photos.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:30 AM

Every year ... State of New York yo

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos