HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Don't twist what im saying.
Ah ok you're right, I shouldn't have said "non-resident", e.g. that one lady said that bike lanes would actually be more dangerous could live nearby. I mean, that's obviously not true, but if you can find one lady making up reasons not to make the road safe, there's no reason to judge what the complaints are or if they make sense and "the community" must be against the repaving, right?

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 8:11 PM

There's now a crane at the site of the PMC apartments across from the Riverwalk. Photo from 5/25:

IMG_1087 by Stephen Henry, on Flickr

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 8:28 PM

Nice, it's really cool to see that area get built up. I wonder if the lot at the end of Sansom will get developed. It had that Mandeville proposal years ago.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:52 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
Ah ok you're right, I shouldn't have said "non-resident", e.g. that one lady said that bike lanes would actually be more dangerous could live nearby. I mean, that's obviously not true, but if you can find one lady making up reasons not to make the road safe, there's no reason to judge what the complaints are or if they make sense and "the community" must be against the repaving, right?
Well I just gave the examples to show how everyone views this project clearly we have many for it but there also people like that lady who was in that article that have their opinion on it and its fair for her to have a say as well that's my whole thing.

Also there could be an issue where people view these changes as something that comes with gentrification. Bike Lanes only come around when the new crowd moves in so the reasonings for peoples concerns against any project or proposal are not for no reason people have legitimate concerns and its actually a good thing when a community say something because it shows there are people who care and want to see their community thrive.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:56 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Enough noise or a few business made large enough campaign donations (or worse) to ignore the will of the community. Councilmanic prerogative needs to end.
Isn't it the same thing as the city giving kickbacks for companies to do business in the city?

One company comes to mind I think they built two little skyscrapers or something of of Arch and JFK nothing major

We do want businesses to operate and run in the city right? We should allow some type of enticement to allow shit to get done.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 2:38 AM

I don't think you can compare some building supply or auto body shop (not that we know which if any of these places really care about the proposed plan) to Comcast. But even if we say it's pro business or whatever and give them a pass for keeping a dangerous road dangerous for whatever reason, the thing that bothers me the most is that there is no compromise, no discussion, just whoever's way or the highway. If it is the businesses complaining, what is it they really want? Do they just want loading? Because that can be done. Are three lanes really not enough to get whatever shipment in that they need? I see semi trucks turning down south or 22nd or wherever and they get it done. I just don't see how a road diet is going to kill their business. If it's because they see it of a sign that more residential is going to be built on Washington Ave and they see this as a way to delay rising real estate value so they don't get pushed out, then I understand the concern but I have a problem with that. I don't know what the answer is but you can't make back door deals with some council person who wields control over the land. Not that anything like that is going on.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Isn't it the same thing as the city giving kickbacks for companies to do business in the city?
No.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 3:23 PM
Chris

Great Q&A article about Fry and Drexel's plans. He really is a visionary leader focused on growing the profile and opportunities at the University and city at large. A few summary snippets below.

Drexel’s John Fry talks about nurturing biotech, building University City, and why the school wants to mint more engineers

https://www.inquirer.com/business/jo...-20220530.html

"Built as a factory and financial center, Philadelphia’s economy now relies more on its universities. So it’s no surprise that the Chamber of Commerce of Greater Philadelphia recently picked John Fry, president of Drexel University and an architect of the development around its main campus in University City, for its highest yearly honor, the William Penn Award."

"When I got here, all people wanted to talk about was the future of Drexel in Sacramento. They wanted to build Drexel West! We had a little branch campus there. I looked at the cost. It would have been absolutely prohibitive. We wound it down, and I wanted to focus on University City and Philadelphia."

"I saw that our retention rate was not where it should be. I decided to focus on retaining more students, instead of recruiting more and losing a lot of them, and to double down on experiential learning, our co-ops [six-month paid business internships]. We are a very specific type of university, and I wanted to tell our story to the students we felt would fit best, who would be able to graduate."

"It was clear to me that if we partnered and began to put this all together in one package, we would have something pretty powerful to offer [corporate tenants] devoted to innovation, development, economic opportunity, and economic growth."

"We were lucky to recruit Spark Therapeutics [the gene therapy company started by Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia scientists] as our anchor tenant [at the Evening Bulletin building]. Roche purchased Spark and has expanded beyond its Bulletin building headquarters to also add the Abbott’s Dairy site as a gene manufacturing center. This makes Spark the most important example of a company whose technology was created here in West Philadelphia. Between Gerry Sweeney and Wexford and Drexel, we gave them a place to grow."

"Then the School District closed University City High School at 31st and Filbert. John Grady and Joe Reagan at Wexford Science and Technology set up an innovation district, uCity Square, from Powelton to Filbert. There were already [biotech tenants in University City], but Wexford recruited Cambridge Innovation Center to operate on-site , and we moved our fastest-growing school, the College of Computing and Informatics, to two floors there."

"We want to be in the A league in terms of gene therapy. What I learned from the [2017-2018] effort to bring Amazon here — I was chair of the chamber that year — we made a joint venture bid with PIDC and significant corporate engagement, in a great competition with the best cities in the country. It came out that their team recommended three cities: Philadelphia, Chicago, and Raleigh, N.C. On the merits, we did really well — walkability, transit, great recreation, great restaurants and hospitals, a city with intellectual assets but also a real place full of neighborhoods."

"Of course, they overruled their own committee and went to New York and Virginia. They hammered us mostly on tech talent. Our schools don’t graduate enough engineers. Our students weren’t doing enough computing."

"So we have done something about it at Drexel. We tripled the size of our College of Computing and Informatics since then. We’ve grown health sciences significantly. And we’re doubling down on engineering, [all] to attract future tech talent.

"A biomanufacturing facility that will employ 500 or 600 people, they don’t all need to be baccalaureates. We are missing the infrastructure for preparing a lot of people for these well-paid jobs."

"We are having an intense conversation with Spark about this. Community College of Philadelphia does its best, but it’s overwhelmed. I talked to the president of Thaddeus Stevens [vocational-technical college, in Lancaster] about starting a branch here. We could support that venture in terms of filling the pipeline with talent, so they eventually work at places like Spark."

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 3:56 PM
Chris

Busy June for the city.

Philadelphia businesses should brace for busy June with city set to host more than 360 events

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Well I just gave the examples to show how everyone views this project clearly we have many for it but there also people like that lady who was in that article that have their opinion on it and its fair for her to have a say as well that's my whole thing.

Also there could be an issue where people view these changes as something that comes with gentrification. Bike Lanes only come around when the new crowd moves in so the reasonings for peoples concerns against any project or proposal are not for no reason people have legitimate concerns and its actually a good thing when a community say something because it shows there are people who care and want to see their community thrive.
ok man we're just talking in circles at this point, the point was to make the road less dangerous but it's clear you don't care about actual outcomes and we're not going to see eye to eye on this. so I'm just going to say I don't care that you can find a handful of people making things up or outright lying to prevent the repaving, the city listens to these people and becomes a worse place for everyone.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:

One company comes to mind I think they built two little skyscrapers or something of of Arch and JFK nothing major

We do want businesses to operate and run in the city right? We should allow some type of enticement to allow shit to get done.
A more apt comparison would be if Comcast decided it would be helpful for them and their company if they could unleash a hoard of drones on the city with 5G and Wifi equipment on them. These drones would malfunction from time to time and maim and even rarely kill citizens. And large majorities of effected citizens would request the drones be banned, and experts would be paid to study the issue and conclude they should be banned, but then the city would decide to let Comcast keep their drones because they paid off some councilmembers. And then councilmembers would avoid answering tough questions about why they were apparently willing to sacrifice human lives for the happiness of a few influential people by hiding behind the opinion of a few kooks they dug up who actually support the drones.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 7:17 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
ok man we're just talking in circles at this point, the point was to make the road less dangerous but it's clear you don't care about actual outcomes and we're not going to see eye to eye on this. so I'm just going to say I don't care that you can find a handful of people making things up or outright lying to prevent the repaving, the city listens to these people and becomes a worse place for everyone.
Incorrect to say that when I agreed with the change and you. im just being realistic in the current world we live in.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Great Q&A article about Fry and Drexel's plans. He really is a visionary leader focused on growing the profile and opportunities at the University and city at large. A few summary snippets below.

Drexel’s John Fry talks about nurturing biotech, building University City, and why the school wants to mint more engineers

https://www.inquirer.com/business/jo...-20220530.html
Wow, very interesting article! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 1:12 AM

Yeah, cool article. I'm interested to see where the partnership with community colleges goes in terms of building a talent pipeline. There have been a lot of biotech announcements it seems lately, which is great, just hope we can keep the pace and not miss out on anything. I'm still kind of surprised Brandywine's development isn't moving faster, but maybe it makes sense.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Do you have any tangible evidence that any significant number of residents anywhere near Washington Avenue want the current configuration? Literally every survey or poll I've seen has had some division and different priorities but enormous majorities wanted some type of change to make the street safer.

This is truly a handful of business owners that have Kenyatta's ear that are making this happen.

You seem incapable of understanding that just because a politician was elected, they're not always acting in the interest of their constituents. This may come as a devastating shock to you, but sometimes politicians make decisions based on their own self interest and to enrich those who bankroll their campaigns.
Spare me. There was an article about how there was controversy over the process and the public outreach over the washington ave project. Part of the issue was that the support on the west side of broad was weaker than on the east side of broad. You can google that yourself- instead of me proving that any of that happened, you prove that the actions taken by Johnson were due to him taking bribes. How about that? With Philadelphia's extremely aggressive campaign donation limits its very hard for any individual business to have a ton of influence over any elected official. What I notice on this forum is that when politicians that fit one profile do something its viewed as visionary, thoughtful and earnest- when politicians who fit a different profile do stuff (these would be categories that cover the bulk of City Council) it is always about stupidity, greed, ignorance or flat out corruption. It's very interesting.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Enough noise or a few business made large enough campaign donations (or worse) to ignore the will of the community. Councilmanic prerogative needs to end.
Its not going away. While it may be misused at times, the idea of the elected district councilperson having no ability to act on the behalf of their constituents is not going to go over well. I know people here have trouble looking at things from other angles, but many voters who want or dont want something are in favor of the CP when it means it generates the results they want. Having all decisions made centrally by city council isn't going to happen and it probably wouldn't be good. People here are only for that because they see that as a way to force changes they want down people's throats. Its funny, a whole bunch of people on here have said the overwhelming majority of voters/taxpayers are against what KJ did- but no one has answered how he got re-elected if he is constantly acting against the will of his community as folks here are confidently claiming. If he is doing that he surely will lose next election by a landslide.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 1:03 PM

Just wanted to give a few Brewerytown updates from my quick visit over the weekend:

1.) I saw SEPTA forces working on the trolley tracks near 33rd and Girard. It seems like preparations are under way for the restoration of trolley service!

2.) Construction fencing is now present at the huge lot at 27th and Girard. There has always been fencing at the site, but it is completely sealed off now. It appears that construction is imminent.

3.) The Bordeaux, the new building at the corner of 26th and Girard, looks fantastic!

4.) The former auto shop/garage along 26th Street between Girard and Poplar is currently coming down. At last check, a residential building was planned for the site. I'm looking forward to seeing that one start!

I'm happy to see that the last of the remaining gaps between Fairmount and Brewerytown are filling in, and I'm looking forward to seeing the gaps between Breweytown and Strawberry Mansion fill in throughout the remainder of this decade. Strawberry Mansion and Allegheny West are clearly the next "in" neighborhoods!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 1:21 PM
Chris

Not to be a debbie downer, but this is a disturbing trend. I forget who mentioned it, but PPD needs to invest in a social media taskforce to track those who carjack, rob, etc., and then post about it.

Carjacking continues to plague Philadelphia. Here’s how young carjackers say they get away with it.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/carjac...-20220531.html

"Through May 25 this year, 546 carjackings were reported in Philadelphia — more than in all of 2020. If this pace continues, the city will approach 1,400 carjackings, a 500% increase over 2019."

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Just wanted to give a few Brewerytown updates from my quick visit over the weekend:

1.) I saw SEPTA forces working on the trolley tracks near 33rd and Girard. It seems like preparations are under way for the restoration of trolley service!

2.) Construction fencing is now present at the huge lot at 27th and Girard. There has always been fencing at the site, but it is completely sealed off now. It appears that construction is imminent.

3.) The Bordeaux, the new building at the corner of 26th and Girard, looks fantastic!

4.) The former auto shop/garage along 26th Street between Girard and Poplar is currently coming down. At last check, a residential building was planned for the site. I'm looking forward to seeing that one start!

I'm happy to see that the last of the remaining gaps between Fairmount and Brewerytown are filling in, and I'm looking forward to seeing the gaps between Breweytown and Strawberry Mansion fill in throughout the remainder of this decade. Strawberry Mansion and Allegheny West are clearly the next "in" neighborhoods!
The 15 is slated to return as soon as work on the PCC IIs (now PCC IIIs) is finished. They can only really work on one at a time right now.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
I don't think you can compare some building supply or auto body shop (not that we know which if any of these places really care about the proposed plan) to Comcast. But even if we say it's pro business or whatever and give them a pass for keeping a dangerous road dangerous for whatever reason, the thing that bothers me the most is that there is no compromise, no discussion, just whoever's way or the highway. If it is the businesses complaining, what is it they really want? Do they just want loading? Because that can be done. Are three lanes really not enough to get whatever shipment in that they need? I see semi trucks turning down south or 22nd or wherever and they get it done. I just don't see how a road diet is going to kill their business. If it's because they see it of a sign that more residential is going to be built on Washington Ave and they see this as a way to delay rising real estate value so they don't get pushed out, then I understand the concern but I have a problem with that. I don't know what the answer is but you can't make back door deals with some council person who wields control over the land. Not that anything like that is going on.
One way to deal with the concerns of these businesses is for the city to facilitate the creation of more flex use/warehouse/light industrial space in zones throughout the city. It drives me nuts that every time one of these light industrial businesses shuts down, it moves to Pennsauken or Bensalem, or wherever, when part of the conversation can be...okay, well we have this new space coming on line...move there.

There's thousands of acres of fallow land in the Erie Avenue Industrial corridor, along Packer Avenue, in the Navy Yard, and coming down the pike in the Bellweather District. Let's make something cohesive as a part of the strategy go forward to rehouse these light industrial businesses that making way for residential conversions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development