HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 4:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisniel View Post
Also from the executive committee meeting:

http://reginask.iqm2.com/Citizens/Fi...79&Inline=True

This will certainly have an effect on residential construction and potential buyers if approved.
Probably a good thing to have considering the recent apartment fire in Saskatoon. I'm surprise insurance companies aren't pushing this more.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
No mention of public transportation or mention of any evidence of how increasing capacity would reduce collisions. Yet another useless study making up stuff to justify its cost.
It will be really sad if these so called improvements come at the expense of a future BRT route on Arcola. The land is there now.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 7:47 PM

There was discussion on this site several years ago when they failed to widen the bridge when they completely replaced the deck a few years ago. This is 90% of the bottleneck on Arcola and could have been added to that project for far less than this price.

An expansion to the Arcola Avenue interchange to six lanes as well as improved pathways and sidewalks: $20.2 million.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
The company I work for did the mechanical rough in for that place, after we weren't paid, we went back in and cut it all out. Lots of work to do on the inside. I swear it would almost be better to demo it and start fresh, save the foundation perhaps
If you actually did that, it was totally illegal. The other lienholders have a claim against you.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 12:21 AM

Tender out for a new path from Hillsdale to Arboretum park along 23rd Ave. Being done by Wascana Park not the city. And a few short ones for access to new picnic sites and exercise equipment.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 3:13 AM

Quote:

This will certainly have an effect on residential construction and potential buyers if approved.
I'm sorry, but this if fucking insane.

It would probably at $20,000+ to every single home in the city. It is completely unnecessary and will only make housing more expensive when we need volume. House fires have dropped dramatically over the past decades and this is bananas. Call your councillor to vote no on this rent seeking nonsense.

I'll give you one hint as to why Councillor Mohl promoted this: blantant conflict of interest from being a damn sprinkler installer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 4:22 AM

Quote:

Landon Mohl is a pipe fitter or formally was one, which is the same union as sprinkler fitters and in my opinion is pushing this for the union because there has been a lack of consistent work for sprinkler fitters in the regina area. The cost estimate of 12,000 is an absolute joke, I'd say more like 20,000 to do a house, the builder would obviously just pass that on to the buyer with Mark up, so what, an additional 30,000 on any new home. This will make buying a home new home in regina ridiculous

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Landon Mohl is a pipe fitter or formally was one, which is the same union as sprinkler fitters and in my opinion is pushing this for the union because there has been a lack of consistent work for sprinkler fitters in the regina area. The cost estimate of 12,000 is an absolute joke, I'd say more like 20,000 to do a house, the builder would obviously just pass that on to the buyer with Mark up, so what, an additional 30,000 on any new home. This will make buying a home new home in regina ridiculous
For some reason I thought it was only for wood construction multi-family housing and apartments. Ya, this seems like overkill. Is it even backed by any formal studies on fire safety?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I'm sorry, but this if fucking insane.

It would probably at $20,000+ to every single home in the city. It is completely unnecessary and will only make housing more expensive when we need volume. House fires have dropped dramatically over the past decades and this is bananas. Call your councillor to vote no on this rent seeking nonsense.

I'll give you one hint as to why Councillor Mohl promoted this: blantant conflict of interest from being a damn sprinkler installer.
Finally something so obvious we ALL agree....?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 2:41 AM

Ceres announced the cancellation of their $350M canola crushing plant yesterday. Have to wonder if Cargill and Viterra are still so sure about their plans.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Ceres announced the cancellation of their $350M canola crushing plant yesterday. Have to wonder if Cargill and Viterra are still so sure about their plans.
That one was going in the absolute middle of nowhere and was a weird project from the get go. The other ones here are getting built.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I can't speak for the Viterra plant, but take a drive out by the GTH and you can see the Cargill plant is well underway. Ton of workers from out of province working on that Cargill one. I've talked with a few.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 5:34 PM

I am 100% in favour of strong safety regulation for home construction (and also efficiency regulation)...but sprinklers in detached homes aren't the answer. High rise blocks? Absolutely, since the risk of fire spreading between units is so high.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 9:11 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/06/27/f...rch-at-u-of-r/

Feds contribute $28.2 million for PTSD research at U of R

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 9:26 PM

Quote:
I'm just picturing the damage claims for accidently bumping one when moving furniture or something and setting it off.

The water in commercial/industrial sprinkler systems is rancid, black, putrid water and not clear, pristine drinking water often seen in movies. It would be a disaster.

Observationally, this does nothing to save lives like Mohl says. Hard-wired smoke detectors that all go off when one device detects smoke is a much, much better solution than this. The flames have to be nearly licking the ceiling (obviously an exaggeration but Google says they go off around 74°C)

Edit: Apparently there are various types of sprinklers that are "hidden" but I still think this is not the way to go about this. Mohl should have abstained due to the potential for conflict.

Last edited by TMB14; Jun 27, 2022 at 9:32 PM. Reason: More info

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 10:41 PM

So much to unpack here! Exciting to see prelim designs for both the New Arena, aquatics facility as well as baseball stadium study.

Arena

Aquatics Facility

New Build

Reno + Addition

http://reginask.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=4591&Inline=True

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Jun 28, 2022 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 11:12 PM

What am I even looking at in these pictures?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 11:18 PM

It’s about time I love the look of the New hockey arena and the aquatic centre and the baseball diamond hopefully everything goes through as planned

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:43 AM

Why does everything have to be built adjacent to north Central? It's one of the worst neighbourhoods in Canada?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:10 AM

The notion of a trail along the railway is probably another lie just like the one that was supposed to be part of the stadium build.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan