HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 5:05 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ I'd take his word for it, the man's from Texas. Plus he has the math to prove it.
Here's the Appeals Court ruling the Texas Supreme Court let stand.

https://law.justia.com/cases/texas/t...-00297-cv.html

Don't take what I think the ruling meant, read it yourself.
It's not that long, and addresses 4 points of law, all of which were in favor of the Texas Central Railroad.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 5:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

Fella, don't take this the wrong way, but you do not appear to have a sense of humor.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 12:01 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Fella, don't take this the wrong way, but you do not appear to have a sense of humor.
I only laugh at funny jokes.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
I can see Dallas to Houston being a heavily traveled route
Two huge cities. Nothing but flat land in between.

This seems like a slam dunk as far as American high-speed rail goes.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not a naysayer, I just think they will eventually need to accept government support, either direct grants or government-backed loans/bond sales. Once completed, the line can certainly be operated privately and turn an operating profit (if the initial capital costs are not factored in).
They're going to need some kind of support. Building a self-sustaining mass transit system outside of Tokyo or Hong Kong is basically a pipe-dream at this point.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 9:05 PM

Texas Central names Renfe Early Operator for high-speed train between Houston, Dallas

Quote:
Texas Central, developers of the high-speed train between Houston and Dallas, signed a contract with a company to be the Early Operator for the project.

Renfe is one of the world's most significant railway operators. The company runs 5,000 trains daily on more than 7,000 miles of track. Its home base is in Spain, where it handled more than 510 million passengers and moved 17 million tons of freight in 2019.
https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...1-4630040b75fd

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 9:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Good choice. But you have to build it first.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 10:57 AM

Still waiting for High Speed Rail.
Meanwhile in China...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 3:45 PM
Show me the blueprints

Aside from the fact that the Chinese government feels little need to placate land owners and concerned citizens beyond offering their, in many cases, first and last offer of fair compensation - and literally bulldozes most other environmental concerns - the Chinese government approaches their HSR program and other key economic infrastructure initiatives like they are trying to win a war. That is how they approach it, and since it's a one party state, it's pretty universal. That is not how the West works. Not just the deference paid to stakeholders, but more importantly there is no "grand national vision" for high speed rail championed by the majority of politicians on the state and federal level, and of the passionate support it does have it's sort of a peripheral special interest issue that most others either don't share their passion or approach it in an anemic or indifferent way.

If we could convince the population of the benefits of high speed rail and connecting regional economies across North America, yes North America, not just the US, and could convince the political class that it's an extremely important ECONOMIC initiative that will help us stay on an equal playing field with China and southeast Asia, then maybe you could see progress begin to accelerate. I was holding out hope that under this Democratic administration we would see enormous investments to the tune of hundreds of billions into HSR, enabling the completion of CHSR and NEC full modernization, but it's clear that the D party isn't in the majority position needed to be that ambitious. Hopefully next year they add to their majority and Congress doesn't go the other way. Even then, HSR has got to become the kind of issue that most pols can talk about and it connects with the majority of voters. Right now it's limited to a "pet-project" notion and not the kind of near universal enthusiasm that would be needed to push for massive development of HSR in the US like one sees in China.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:12 PM
Houston:Considered Good

I think this project has gone great. They’ve done a great job with design, location choice and funding. I hope it happens.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
Texas Central names Renfe Early Operator for high-speed train between Houston, Dallas

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...1-4630040b75fd
What happened to JR Central? Weren't they supposed to operate the system?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 9:40 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ I think the Japanese association with the Texas Central project had more to do with selling/licensing N Series Shinkansen rolling stock and relayed technology than it was a Japanese entity actually operating the system. I could be wrong though, this project due to its private nature has always been less transparent.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:54 PM

I know that I have praised this project in the past, but I am starting to think that this may not be the best corridor for high-speed rail.

Dallas and Houston are notoriously sprawly, and the distance is large enough that this will be somewhat expensive to build.

If Texas wants to build this with internal money, then I say more power to them. I'm just a little more lukewarm on this project than I was a few months ago.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 1:55 PM

Texas Supreme Court: $30B bullet train project has authority to seize land

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...eme-court.html

Quote:
In a 5-3 decision, the court ruled Texas Central — the company planning to build the Houston-to-Dallas railway — has eminent domain authority.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Texas Supreme Court: $30B bullet train project has authority to seize land

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...eme-court.html
I find that really surprising considering this is Texas.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 3:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

A rare flash of reason from a very unreasonable state - especiallly considering recent events.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 7:36 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
A rare flash of reason from a very unreasonable state - especiallly considering recent events.
I guess the wording of the statute left no room for interpretation. Even judges can only go so far. The arguments of the plaintiff - that Texas Central doesn't have the money to build the project, that they're basically in receivership, etc - are not salient to the question of whether Texas Central qualifies as an "electric interurban railroad". After all, tons of railroads have gone through bankruptcy and they don't forfeit their power of eminent domain.

If the Texas GOP wants to close the door on this project, they'll have to do so through legislation, not through the courts.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
The plot of half of all western movies is greedy private land barons (often railroads) stealing and forcing the sale of private land in advance of huge land value increases due to upcoming rail stations. It feels wrong that the state of Texas and Texas courts have validated that as legal and proper. They are authorizing private land being forced to sell at what they ultimately know will be a discount so that it can later be sold at huge profits and finance the construction of the railroad.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 11:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

You cannot possibly believe that is what is going on here. This has been turned into an ideological culture war issue just like everything else in this bonkers country. If this was a highway the landowners would be lining up to cooperate and sell with every conservative political figure encouraging them to do so.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 1:07 AM

Quote:
You cannot possibly believe that is what is going on here. This has been turned into an ideological culture war issue just like everything else in this bonkers country. If this was a highway the landowners would be lining up to cooperate and sell with every conservative political figure encouraging them to do so.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winner! We have a winner!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation