HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
The current PC government reminds me a lot of the speNDP of the past, throwing money at everything to boost polls. And there seems to be very little coordination with anything from an inter-governmental perspective.

It will be interesting to see if the NDP can sustain this momentum going into this election or whether we see another Murray-type collapse. You can bet the PCs are going to attack Kinew for his past indiscretions much in the same way Murray was attacked.
Well they better. Usually conservatives avoid fighting dirty; and presume they will win on merit and fundamental truth. This is to their own detriment. That’s one area that the left is better at than the right. The left by their nature is more hungry for power, and more willing to go negative. We shall see.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 12:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&M40BELOW View Post
Well they better. Usually conservatives avoid fighting dirty; and presume they will win on merit and fundamental truth. This is to their own detriment. That’s one area that the left is better at than the right. The left by their nature is more hungry for power, and more willing to go negative. We shall see.
If that’s the case in Manitoba, then your province truly is unique because that is absolutely not the case elsewhere. I wish you were right though. The Sask and federal NDPs are feckless and weak, and it’s extremely disheartening.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jan 24, 2023 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Not sure how true that is considering Pallister ordered his senior political staff to hire a private investigator to dig dirt on Kinew.

And what “merits and fundamental truths” do the conservatives stand for that they actually went through with once they got into power?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 2:21 PM

Quote:
I think there is plenty of evidence of both the PCs and NDP "fighting dirty"... I have never seen anything to suggest that the PCs are driven by magnanimity and are in no way driven by hunger for power. It's the nature of electoral politics.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 2:43 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I can't even...

This is sarcasm (I hope)?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
All the left does is hammer home the same left wing talking points, and whether they make sense or not or are realistic people start to believe it!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
All the left does is hammer home the same left wing talking points, and whether they make sense or not or are realistic people start to believe it!
And here I was being accused of derailing things. The open debate didn't even last two pages. Jfc

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Wab Kinew rejects Tory claim he wants to defund police in Manitoba

Kinew, in a year-end interview with The Canadian Press, said he would maintain funding for police services

He says a NDP government would also add funding for mental health supports so that some calls currently being handled by police can be handled by others.

"I do think that we need to invest in mental health supports, we need to invest in social programs so that we can have a future in Manitoba where we have a mental health worker who shows up for a mental health call, a social worker who shows up for a social work call," Kinew said.
Full article:https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-ndp-1.6698261

If elected, we need to hold him to that he won't cut police funding. His plans for mental health supports sound good. My question would be though, when recieving a 911 call, how can we tell what service is needed? In some cases it would be obvious. But how can they tell what is simply a mentral health care call or a social work call, and who gets to make that call and will they face some accountability if a social worker ends up taking a knife to the neck? Sounds good in theory, not sure how that would work in practice though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 8:22 PM

lol most, if not all, politicians of all stripes are willing to fight dirty. It's the nature of the business.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
And here I was being accused of derailing things. The open debate didn't even last two pages. Jfc

They literally jumped straight to divisiveness, slamming the "other side" in a way that's so vague it's meaningless and posting their feelings and opinions as if they were facts lol.

I admit I haven't always been the most civil person here but I have at least tried to make actual points about actual issues other than "OTHER SIDE BAD GRRR"

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
He was at the puck drop, why are you saying he wasn't present? Don't make up shit if you don't know.

I stand corrected. All you had to say was he was there. You didn't have to be a dick about it. The rest of my statement stands. He's not well liked in the towns of the RM, and the issues affecting the ER at Ste Anne hospital are losing support for the PC's in that part of the riding.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Full article:https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-ndp-1.6698261

If elected, we need to hold him to that he won't cut police funding. His plans for mental health supports sound good. My question would be though, when recieving a 911 call, how can we tell what service is needed? In some cases it would be obvious. But how can they tell what is simply a mentral health care call or a social work call, and who gets to make that call and will they face some accountability if a social worker ends up taking a knife to the neck? Sounds good in theory, not sure how that would work in practice though.
The Provinces don't fund policing, it's municipal. The only reason the current government is leaping into the fray is because they have limited the ability of municipalities to tax their own land/residents.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Wow this is a the statement of a delusional person. Are you an old stock Canadian?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Yes like lower taxes, pro business and freedom? You're an idiot and your posting history is damning evidence of your idiocy

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
They literally jumped straight to divisiveness, slamming the "other side" in a way that's so vague it's meaningless and posting their feelings and opinions as if they were facts lol.

I admit I haven't always been the most civil person here but I have at least tried to make actual points about actual issues other than "OTHER SIDE BAD GRRR"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trutherteller View Post
Wow this is a the statement of a delusional person. Are you an old stock Canadian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trutherteller View Post
Yes like lower taxes, pro business and freedom? You're an idiot and your posting history is damning evidence of your idiocy

Why do you lefites always have to insult people and throw ethnicity into this? Seriously get lost guys. You already derailed one thread. SMH

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Why do you lefites always have to insult people and throw ethnicity into this? Seriously get lost guys. You already derailed one thread. SMH
As someone who is left leaning I’ve been guilty of this towards you in the past so I do apologize and have started to have discussions without using insults and focus on rationale and the topic. There’s no need to bring up someone’s character because everyone has different morals at the end of the day and that should be accepted as long as they are not imposed on other people.

But there is a reason why this is occurring at a more frequent rate these days. Cancel culture is reason #1 and as a teenager who grew up with social media this behaviour is much more entrenched and dare I say acceptable from the youth. Kids can be shitty but social media has amplified the toxicity to new levels. This imposing of left/far left culture by the media in the United States has made the toxicity political as well.

I’m trying to avoid social media as much as possible now. I stick to pages like this because I can have honest discussions with quite intelligent individuals and get their perspective which can be a legitimate learning experience.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
As someone who is left leaning I’ve been guilty of this towards you in the past so I do apologize and have started to have discussions without using insults and focus on rationale and the topic. There’s no need to bring up someone’s character because everyone has different morals at the end of the day and that should be accepted as long as they are not imposed on other people.
No need to apologize my friend. I don't recall you ever saying antying rude towards me. In any case it' all good. I'm sorry if I ever said anything rude. I admit i can sometimes get carried away.

Quote:
But there is a reason why this is occurring at a more frequent rate these days. Cancel culture is reason #1 and as a teenager who grew up with social media this behaviour is much more entrenched and dare I say acceptable from the youth. Kids can be shitty but social media has amplified the toxicity to new levels. This imposing of left/far left culture by the media in the United States has made the toxicity political as well.

I’m trying to avoid social media as much as possible now. I stick to pages like this because I can have honest discussions with quite intelligent individuals and get their perspective which can be a legitimate learning experience.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah social media can be pretty toxic. I don't blame you for trying to avoid it. I don't use it anymore either. I don't have FB anymore but I remember things could get really bad on there.

We are living in interesting times.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
I agree that these will be the ridings to watch and will decide on the government. Here’s my opinion:

Winnipeg:

Seine River (PC) - The area lost a lot of its traditional NDP base around the mall and picked up more southern areas near the perimeter.

Southdale (NDP) - Close last time, Gordon has a high profile and the NDP will spend a lot of resources to oust her. The riding has taken on more of the blue collar areas of Windsor Park and lost its traditional PC base in Royalwood.

McPhillips (NDP) - Nail bitter last election. This time with the NDP polling much higher, this will be the most likely urban riding to flip.

Radisson (NDP) - Has been a historically traditional NDP riding. It went PC when they swept the NDP from power. Managed to stay Tory in 2019. This time with an unpopular incumbent and NDP polling higher, it shouldn’t even be close.

Rossmere (Toss-up) - This one is tough. Could go either way.

Assiniboia (Toss-up) - See above.

Kirkfield Park (PC) - Klein is a retail politician and a constituency guy. He has a good ground game. I say PC hold.

Fort Richmond (PC) - Last time the Liberals split the centre-left vote). If the Libs field another strong candidate, I could see the Tories holding it by default.

Riel (NDP) - Despite Squires being a high ranking minister, this riding is the most likely of the south Winnipeg ones to flip.

Waverly (PC) - Traditional Tory leaning area. Suburban and higher income.

Lagimodiere (PC) - See above.

Kildonan-River East (PC) - This riding has seen a large population boom of new, expensive neighborhoods near the Perimeter. Bonnie Mitchelson managed to hold it even when the Tories lost every seat north of the Assiniboine River. Candidacy will matter this time.

Rural Ridings:

Selkirk (NDP) - Strong candidate, traditional urban NDP riding with no PC incumbent.

Dauphin (PC) - Rural MB has shifted more to the right in recent years. The PC’s are still polling well outside of WPG.

Brandon East (NDP) - City splits, with the eastern part going back to its NDP roots.

Brandon West (PC) - It’ll be close but I think the Tories eek out a win here.

Springfield (PC) - Especially if Schuler runs again. Traditional PC rural riding with ex-urbanites in Oakbank who tend to sway centre right.

Curious to see what everyone else thinks. This election will certainly be interesting. I have a feeling that it’ll be close. I would be happy with a minority government of either party with the Liberals holding the balance of power.
*Andrew Smith in Lagimodiere should win his seat in a walk. Great grass roots MLA and hard worker.
* A. Gordon in Southdale will be tough to hold.
* Jon Reyes in Waverley is not unpopular, and probably the most well liked MLA in government. Raises a lot of money for the party through grass roots fundraisers.
Stephenson will hold her seat.
Obby Khan and Klein should retain their seats.
Ron Schuler should win. Has been around for ever.
Add in a few others and the PC’s may surprise.

The NDP has no bench at all and no stars in the group. Will people vote for a Wab? It remains to be seen.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
*Andrew Smith in Lagimodiere should win his seat in a walk. Great grass roots MLA and hard worker.
* A. Gordon in Southdale will be tough to hold.
* Jon Reyes in Waverley is not unpopular, and probably the most well liked MLA in government. Raises a lot of money for the party through grass roots fundraisers.
Stephenson will hold her seat.
Obby Khan and Klein should retain their seats.
Ron Schuler should win. Has been around for ever.
Add in a few others and the PC’s may surprise.

The NDP has no bench at all and no stars in the group. Will people vote for a Wab? It remains to be seen.
This is also a problem for the NDP. No high profile candidates have stepped forward to run in the swing suburban ridings. With Doer/Selinger we had the likes of Erin Selby, Theresa Oswald and Ron Lemieux. They swung traditional PC ridings to the NDP as centrist candidates. I don’t know if we will see that this time around.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:23 PM

another great move by our current Provincial gov't (again shocking many of you NDP'ers that PC do fund social support systems too. they have hearts, not just big bank accounts).

New rapid access to addictions medicine clinic to open in downtown Winnipeg with $893K funding from province The government of Manitoba is spending about $893,000 on a new Indigenous-led rapid access to addictions medicine (RAAM) clinic in downtown Winnipeg, making it the third in the provincial capital.

The clinic will be in the Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centre on Higgins Avenue and will operate five days a week, with some extended hours in the late afternoons and early evenings to increase accessibility

When the clinic opens in spring, it will initially handle to 2,300 patient visits per year, with the potential to expand its capacity in the future

and of course the opposition just can't praise and be pleased, despite community leaders and Drs praising this

Bernadette Smith, the NDP critic for mental health and addictions, says the current government's strategy for dealing with substance use disorders lacks an important piece.

"The health experts are clear: we need a real plan that includes a supervised consumption site and better access to health care and supports for Manitobans struggling with addiction," Smith said in a statement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.6724162

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan