HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
I think these buildings will be very prominent, especially when viewed entering downtown via University Bridge.

I am not saying these building need to be architectural landmarks; by definition they will be landmarks. Given the choice of "this or nothing" (a false choice BTW) then I say build them. But these will be commie blocks, no doubt about it.

I'll go further... IMHO these are---by far---the ugliest tall buildings proposed or built anywhere in Canada in the last decade (based on browsing this forum); but hey, it's Saskatoon, and City Park to boot!

This concludes my postings re. the architectural merits of these buildings. I've made my position clear (as it it counts for anything haha). Hundreds of people living there should invigorate the neighbourhood. Build away!!
I agree - many of the proponents (defenders?) of these buildings are presenting a false set of alternatives: either it will be world class architecture or we settle for whatever garbage we're left with. There is definitely a middle ground where the city expects decent architecture, especially given the importance and prominence of this development. Let's hope that Baydo is willing to listen to feedback and makes some changes that will make the building less of a dated, heavy structure.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:51 PM

They might not be the best looking but obviously you haven't been to Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver in awhile, they have their share but then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
I agree - many of the proponents (defenders?) of these buildings are presenting a false set of alternatives: either it will be world class architecture or we settle for whatever garbage we're left with. There is definitely a middle ground where the city expects decent architecture, especially given the importance and prominence of this development. Let's hope that Baydo is willing to listen to feedback and makes some changes that will make the building less of a dated, heavy structure.
I live at The View and before I moved in I thought of it as one of the nicest looking condo towers our downtown had. Now that I've been there for a few years now I have come to realize that it looks "ok" on the outside, but is a absolute disaster on the inside. An absolute disaster where the fire department came to evaluate it last year and said it had "the most infractions seen by any building in the province". The amenities being boasted by this new build next door are uncomparable to The View. The board doesn't even want to renovate our gym that is from the original build in the 60's. This building may not be the prettiest on the outside, but with the features boasted and lower level commercial and retail right underneath, it will be the most luxurious apartment building in Saskatoon for the price people will pay - which is hopefully pretty comparable to what you'd pay around both broadway and the downtown vicinity for a condo. From my view, No1 River Landing looks very drab on the inside, along with drab tiny balconies, less the beautiful windows. The rents for that place I've seen are like ridiculous $3,000/month for two bedrooms - I wouldn't even pay that if I won the lottery. The facia may not be the prettiest, but the concept of a very efficient build will definitely move a ton of people from the burbs to downtown and create a more bustling downtown that will spur some more fancy pants No1 River Landing condos that no one but ultra rich inheritance people can afford.

I have nothing against No1 River Landing, I just don't find the cost of those condos along with condo fees attractive in any way psft.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:03 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:08 PM

Re: River Landing rents - I don’t know what happened with the larger two-bedroom units but I know that the more modestly sized ones ended up renting for between $1,700-$2,000/mo. Frankly, I think this is a very reasonable price to pay for what is not arguably the most posh condominium in the city. I’m not suggesting this isn’t expensive, I’m advocating that it’s reasonably priced for the market at hand.

I think it will be a few years before we see another condo that’s so expensive. Highpoint, which is ostensibly as high-end, hasn’t even started construction yet and would have if sales were justified.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:19 PM

edited

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Thank you, my friend for the challenge!

If anyone can find a shittier-looking pile of crap around the same dump-height as this proposal anywhere in Canada within the last ten years, please post your find. I'm actually getting a bit excited and need to visit the john.
Don't have to go far, IMHO. I think the renderings for the Highpoint on Broadway are every bit as ugly as those for the Baydo tower. Yeah, it's got a lot of glass, but clear glass in a white grid doesn't do anything for me. Especially once you add in blinds that may or may not be closed.

I question if people are judging the Baydo Towers on their own merit or are biased by the very basic suburban low rises that Baydo has built here in the past.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:32 PM

yup there are many lol Ricopedra, but it doesn't matter we are just stating our views Alt and we all can choose to agree or disagree, like the man said we don't even know if this is the real render yet. Would be nice to know which company did the drawings, Crisis you always seem to come through with your knowledge and the people you associate with.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:44 PM

edited

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Thank you, my friend for the challenge!

If anyone can find a shittier-looking pile of crap around the same dump-height as this proposal anywhere in Canada within the last ten years, please post your find. I'm actually getting a bit excited and need to visit the john.
Here I am already violating my own vow not to post about this anymore... but what I really meant when I said "based on this forum" is: buildings discussed in forum pages such as "Canadian City Proposals", and other Canadian City Pages, etc. I did not mean every tall building in Canada, although I can see how it reads that way.

BTW, in the last 10 years I have travelled to over 60 countries and every continent multiple times (except Antarctica). I have seen lots of good architecture and even more bad.... that is one reason why I feel strongly we can do better here.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 1:36 AM

$100,000,000 is a lot of money.

Last edited by GTR200; May 11, 2020 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 1:55 AM

1. regarding the person that mentioned the price of rent at no1 river landing - that unit must have been 600 sqft because every single older building downtown is 3x the rent price. Family’s in SK already struggle justifying living in a condo in suburban and widely available 2,000 sqft house Saskatoon with two kids.

2. regarding traveling across the world not seeing drab towers. you must have missed the more suburb areas of every city in the world lol. Toronto for example.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 1:13 PM

Summary of my position:
  • I have seen the awful commie blocks in China, Russia, Europe, South America, Toronto, and many other places with my own eyes
  • Baydo's proposal is just another cheap commie block (in a prominent location).
  • Some small tweaks during planning (i.e., colour, staggered height, 45 degree rotation, etc) could have helped a lot at minimal additional cost but clearly Baydo only cares about the bottom line and it shows
  • For many reasons (mediocrity inspires mediocrity) other Canadian cities have stopped (i.e., discouraged developers from) building these commie blocks in the last decades
  • Saskatoon should too, but...

Last edited by alt_center; May 8, 2020 at 1:49 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:36 PM

Here's a great example of the shallowness outward architecture costs. This unit for rent at No1 RL is 4th floor for $1,700/673 sqft.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-apartments-c...ent/1498038386

My mortgage plus condo fees for my TWENTY floor 1,000 sqft condo is ~1,700/month in my commie block.

These buildings are expensive here because concrete is so expensive here. We have no gravel in Sask to make concrete. My 1965 building was actually quite uglier and more "commie" and then they later added glass balconies and some brighter pizazz to it 20 years ago. It definitely wasn't affordable to add glass.

Anyone that pays $1,700/month in rent for a 1 bed 1 bath is cray imo. I remember back in university myself and 3 other guys paid $1,400/month for a beautiful 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house in Willowgrove in a great neighborhood a 10 min drive from downtown. You have to be pretty superficial and also have very rich parents that also had rich parents to afford No1 River Landing.

There's 20 units for sale on Kijiji at No 1 River Landing. I averaged their prices with their psqft cost and they are ~$700/psqft. My concrete building averages ~$280/psqft right now. I averaged a few condos in willowgrove - a easy ten minute drive to downtown, $150-250/psft.

This is why commie blocks exist. The beautiful buildings are solely for the ultra rich that seem to go beyond doctors and lawyers, because my old building is full of doctors and lawyers.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:45 PM

I am not sure why #1RL keeps coming up in this thread. Its location, not construction or design, has a lot to do with its (perceived) value. Apples / oranges.

To me, "commie-block" means cookie cutter design, multiple buildings built from the same blueprints, no thought of massing and placement. etc. In short, design by the "central bureaucratic committee".

The thing is, I believe that "inexpensive" rental apartments with a bit of mixed use is an excellent use for this location. I think it will appeal greatly to uni students, etc. And it should enhance the neighbourhood. I hope it is a huge success.

As a designer I also believe that with a little bit of care and creativity, inexpensive does not have to equate to "commie block" soul sucking design. With a bit of creativity these buildings could have been improved greatly and still hit their target market and budget. All my humble opinion of course.

I am happy for the project but disappointed that with a 100 mil budget Baydo has missed the opportunity to be just a little bit creative and has instead produced a design that reeks of cutting every possible corner and zero creativity. I am sure the people at the City who prepared the Architectural Controls document we have all hopefully looked at are hugely disappointed too. Baydo may have met the technical requirements but they certainly missed the spirit by a longshot. Again IMHO.

That is all. Debating is fun but this time I mean it.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 7:50 PM

Man, I really like the idea or twisting the buildings 45° as someone mentioned earlier! Such a simple concept that would improve the look a lot on my opinion. And count me as another who thinks the heights should be staggered. In my dreamland I see the taller one come in a shade shorter than the Nutrien Tower as I don't want the claim of Saskatoon's tallest going to this build. But something like 90m that pokes over everything else around would nice!

Of course if nothing changes and it is developed as is I am good with that. This project is a net win!

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:15 PM

Not the prettiest but like someone on the thread said probably really nice inside and that’s a lot of density added to downtown Saskatoon so it is still a really good project for Saskatoon !! 50 floors total is nothing to sneeze at !

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
These buildings are expensive here because concrete is so expensive here. We have no gravel in Sask to make concrete.
Huh?

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
Huh?
3 main reasons we don’t have many high rises in Sask are:
-no population
-flat land that makes it easy to expand suburbs
-lack of gravel / aggregate deposits in SK making concrete extremely expensive

I think Lafarge is doing the concrete for River Landing? Iwould argue that this project wouldn’t even of happened if it wasn’t thanks to LaFarge expanding their operations in Saskatoon thanks to the River Landing project. Hopefully they keep operations steady here and help lower development costs going forward. Gravel is even hard to source for gravel roads in the province let alone for roads and buildings.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
3 main reasons we don’t have many high rises in Sask are:
-no population
-flat land that makes it easy to expand suburbs
-lack of gravel / aggregate deposits in SK making concrete extremely expensive

I think Lafarge is doing the concrete for River Landing? Iwould argue that this project wouldn’t even of happened if it wasn’t thanks to LaFarge expanding their operations in Saskatoon thanks to the River Landing project. Hopefully they keep operations steady here and help lower development costs going forward. Gravel is even hard to source for gravel roads in the province let alone for roads and buildings.
What are you smoking. Have you ever traveled outside of Saskatoon? There is more "gravel" than anything in the hills in Saskatchewan.

Bet you googled it and went off the first hit you found?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan