HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
With no rent controls in commercial spaces, why not sign cheaper leases and leave it open for increases later?

I see CRUs all the time that are empty for months and years.
Either holding out for something better or keeping it empty for redevelopment, would be my guess.

Either way, as I said on the Ottawa forum, i'm not sorry to see a glorified department store selling $300 t-shirts go out of business or struggle. Those customers will have no problem finding their wares elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I will say that most of the places with a "for lease" sign are already spoken for, or in some cases under active renovation. Also been a lot of new places open since/during COVID. I know someone looking for space right now - ideally in Parkdale but willing to be anywhere in this part of the West End. It's actually very hard to find space. You do still of course have the weird owners who are asking far too much and seemingly willing to let their place sit empty indefinitely.
I was very recently in my kid's neighbourhood in Montreal. It's not an especially posh area but it's pretty vibrant. The pandemic killed off a number of businesses on the main street, but for some reason I noticed on this particular visit that almost all of the empty storefronts have now been filled. Almost all of the new businesses are food-related in some way.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 2:57 PM

McLaren will be opening a new dealership in Quebec City. A bit of an odd choice to me considering there currently are only two other such dealerships in the country : Toronto and Montreal.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...bec-salon-auto

Quote:
Un premier concessionnaire McLaren ouvrira ses portes à Québec au printemps prochain. L’annonce sera faite pendant le 40e Salon de l’automobile de Québec qui prendra son envol mardi.

C'est le groupe Holand qui en est le propriétaire, qui est aussi propriétaire de BMW à Québec et Lévis. Le groupe a aussi acheté en août le Circuit Mont-Tremblant.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
McLaren will be opening a new dealership in Quebec City. A bit of an odd choice to me considering there currently are only two other such dealerships in the country : Toronto and Montreal.

Groupe Holand also owns Rolls-Royce and Maserati dealerships in Montreal.

They are right at the junction of the A-40 (Métropolitaine) and A-15 (Décarie) and easily visible from the highway. With private security vehicles parked outside 24-7.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post

Strange, there is definitely a McLaren dealership in Vancouver.

https://vancouver.mclaren.com/en

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 11:37 PM

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/new...046326b8e.html

‘To delight your tastebuds and expand your snack horizons’: A new twist on candy coming to Uptown Waterloo
Bill Jackson Waterloo Chronicle March 9, 2023

Quote:
Nerds Gummy Clusters are basically gummy worms with Nerds on them.
“When you run them through the freeze dryer, the gummy puffs up but the Nerds stay on,” according Kyle Foster, who says the result is a colourful, crispy candy with a texture akin to Cheetos that bursts with flavour.
If you think Foster sounds like he has a sweet tooth and a PhD in physics, you’d be accurate, though his decision to open up a new candy shop on King Street with wife Laura comes following a seven-year stint in cannabis production that took the University of Waterloo alumnus to Eastern Canada.
“There will be wall candy, but the rule of thumb is, if you can find it at a gas station, you probably won’t find it here. It has to be more novel or new, interesting, or different than that in order to make the cut here.”
The Fosters are planning a soft opening on March 18, the day after St. Patrick’s Day, so those requiring a sugar fix for the hangover, take heed.
A grand opening is planned for April 1, no joke.
“We'll be offering samples on a very regular basis,” said Kyle.
Address: 110 King St. S., Unit B, Waterloo, ON N2J 1P5
Kyle and Laura Foster hold some of their freeze-dried candy that will soon be for sale. - Bill Jackson/Metroland

Sign guy Trent puts some polish on a new addition to uptown. - Bill Jackson/Metroland

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Ya I've seen it in person. Something like W2nd Ave near Burrard.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:06 AM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 3:17 PM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:51 PM

The infamous McDonald's on Rideau Street has closed. It was an institution for 30 odd years that provided a place where the homeless could sit for a while and have access to washrooms (at least, before the pandemic), along with some affordable -ish food (cheeseburgers and small fries, at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Street groups hold march to commemorate Rideau Street McDonald's

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Published Mar 19, 2023 • Last updated 11 hours ago • 1 minute read

To many people in Ottawa, the Rideau Street McDonald’s restaurant is best known for it’s often-rowdy clientele, and particularly, for a rowdy dustup between groups a few years ago when one man inexplicably pulled a baby raccoon from inside his jacket and waved it around.
Article content

While there has been no specific date for the closing, the realty company that owns the building has confirmed the restaurant franchisee has chosen not to renew the lease that expires this summer.

For many young street people, for all of its problems, the troubled restaurant provided cheap eats and brief shelter.

“I read (about the closing) and I thought somebody ought to make a thing out of this,” said Keith De Silva-Legault, who helped organize a downtown march Sunday to commemorate the closing.

“So I brought it up to some friends at a bar and we decided we were gonna do it.”

The group has organized a non-perishable food drive to benefit the Shepherds of Good Hope, as well as a fundraiser for groups that assists young people in the streets, such as Operation Go Home.

Organizers had provided a number of fundraising incentives. For example, organizer De Silva-Legault agreed to dress as Ronald McDonald if $1,500 was raised.

“I also have to jump into the Ottawa River (but) not today,” he said in the deep cold.

Organizers has intended to leave plush raccoon dolls to commemorate the restaurant’s unofficial mascot.

That plan was inexplicably dropped.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...reet-mcdonalds
Why a raccoon?

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Gotta spend that laundered money somewhere!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Gotta spend that laundered money somewhere!
I see the McLaren's here and I think you hockey players. But if I see a Lambo or something similar I think the Bank of Dad or laundered money.

The Maserati dealer here seems to be doing ok.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:13 PM

The Rideau St McDs always struck me as Ottawa's version of the Queen and Spadina McDs in Toronto. Similar vibes for sure. Even I recall having burgers at the Rideau St location a few times, and I barely ever go to Ottawa haha.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Rideau St McDs always struck me as Ottawa's version of the Queen and Spadina McDs in Toronto. Similar vibes for sure. Even I recall having burgers at the Rideau St location a few times, and I barely ever go to Ottawa haha.
Likewise with the old McD's at Dundas & Richmond in London. That place always had a few interesting characters. I think it closed in 2019, pre-Covid anyways.

Now it's one of billions and billions of vacant Farhi-brand properties.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I see the McLaren's here and I think you hockey players. But if I see a Lambo or something similar I think the Bank of Dad or laundered money.

The Maserati dealer here seems to be doing ok.
They're all targets of laundered money, maybe a Lotus would be less so, seems like a niche enthusiasts' type of car instead.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 9:48 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
They're definitely equivalent. There was a good AMA on Reddit with the manager of the Rideau MacDonald's four or five years ago where they went in-depth in the culture of working there and what typically goes on. One answer I always remember is that the manager thought their quality and work ethic was better than the Elgin location, and based on my recent visits to the latter I can confirm it's not all that great quality-wise.

The MacDonald's at Bathurst/Dundas is equally just as bad, IMO, but seems to escape most of the negative coverage or memes. Broadview used to be not-great as well before it was shuttered.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 11:29 PM

Queen and Church can also be interesting.

Queen and Spadina wins the contest for sure though. Every single time I’ve been in there it’s been an adventure.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 11:35 PM

my friend was at an old Mcdonald's on Granville Street in downtown Vancouver waiting for his order at the counter and a vagrant came in and dropped his pants in the middle of the lobby area and took a big dump. My friend and everyone else just fled the place and he never went back.

Most McDonald's and fast food and coffee places here keep their bathrooms locked, even suburban ones so you need to get a key or buzzed in to use the facilities. Is that pretty standard across the country these days?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Most McDonald's and fast food and coffee places here keep their bathrooms locked, even suburban ones so you need to get a key or buzzed in to use the facilities. Is that pretty standard across the country these days?
Haven’t seen a whole lot of this outside of downtown areas. I remember seeing this at a downtown Hamilton A&W several years before the pandemic though.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 3:14 AM

And the blue lights in the bathrooms. I've seen it in some large urban centres, towns and in remote areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada