HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 10:29 PM
surely you agree with me

expanding and improving the crap u of m arena is a good idea....it's not good enough for my beer league.

I still think it's a lot of money for a risky investment, but it's definitely fewer tens of millions....and maybe connecting to university opens up access to some kind of funding.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 1:34 AM

The Ice are 47-7-1.

They have won 10 in a row.

They are the #1 ranked Junior hockey team in the country.

Will they win the Memorial Cup?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:08 AM

Seattle will be a tough opponent (especially w Brad Lambert being thete) but definitely possible.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 3:57 PM

Geekie and Benson both with hat tricks yesterday vs. Edmonton. The ICE are rolling to an extent that probably no prominent Winnipeg hockey team has since maybe the Jets of the 70s when they were winning championships. They are an absolute force.

The ICE are head and shoulders above everybody else in the Eastern Conference, for a while it looked like Moose Jaw and Saskatoon could roll with them but that's not the case anymore based on recent games. The Western Conference has Seattle, Portland and Kamloops as legitimate contenders. But even the main contender Seattle doesn't look like an invincible opponent the way the Oil Kings were last season.

I am feeling very, very good about the ICE's chances this season. This is going to be one hell of a playoff run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
expanding and improving the crap u of m arena is a good idea....it's not good enough for my beer league.
If it's good enough for Zach Benson, it's good enough for the Broken Rubbers!!!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

I still think it's a lot of money for a risky investment, but it's definitely fewer tens of millions....and maybe connecting to university opens up access to some kind of funding.
Chipman and True North really screwed over the funding side of things as their agreement basically blocks anything that could compete with their arena from getting government funding if it has a roof.

There is no reason the U of M Bisons need to play their games on the Fort Garry campus. As I suggested in a previous post the Bisons, Ice and Red River Ex pooling their combined resources to make a new arena happen to meet all their needs and located at the Ex site it what makes the most sense.

The reality here is the Ex generates enough year round income to self-fund improvements to their grounds including the expansion of their current Exhibition Hall which includes the plans to eventually add an arena. Adding the Ice as a lead sports tenant paying rent there there to get more days use of the facility makes sense too.

As of U of M, there is a long established precedent that U of M is not limited to the boundaries on the current Fort Garry campus, even if you include the former golf course within that. Having a separate venue to host the limited number of games, 14 for the men (6 not played on campus this season) and womens 14 games (4 not played on campus). Even counting the 34 ICE home games that is at best 62 event evenings out of the full year, that is a lot of dark nights for a fairly costly 4,000 seat venue. For perspective the Red River Ex has plans on their books for at least 14 event nights and that is without them even having a venue to start booking from. Considering how busy they were keeping the Exhibition Hall before the pandemic they definitely know how to be out there creating or finding events.

All things considered it is the best way to leverage the resources of the community instead of building something that is going to sit mostly unused on the Fort Garry campus. And is the Bisons themselves have proven this year their home games do not need to be played on campus.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:42 PM

^ I can see the merits of the U of M joining forces with the RREX, but by the same token the U of M doesn't really need to make that kind of sacrifice either. Their existing building is fine for Bison Sports needs now that it has a new ice plant, new scoreboard, new boards (all installed in the last few years). All it needs from their perspective is a few minor improvements to meet U Sports standards like maybe better dressing rooms/team facilities. The U of M isn't going to move out to the Downs when they have a suitable building of their own. I think the U of M sees value in developing their campus and the community that generates... don't forget, the arena isn't only for elite sports, it is also used extensively as a campus recreation facility as well.

That's why I liked the idea of the ICE joining forces with the U of M to expand Wayne Fleming Arena by adding seats, washrooms and WHL team facilities. Any such expansion would be driven by the ICE's needs, but the U of M would still benefit from it. That might also provide a way of circumventing the persnickety TNSE funding agreement restriction on subsidized facilities.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:47 PM

If they were going to build an new facility @ 4000 or so capacity I wonder if they could lure the Sea Bears. They are scheduled to play 2023 at Canada Life and the season usually starts after the WHL Finals would be played.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatmak View Post
If they were going to build an new facility @ 4000 or so capacity I wonder if they could lure the Sea Bears. They are scheduled to play 2023 at Canada Life and the season usually starts after the WHL Finals would be played.
I think it's a fair bet that if there was a midsized facility, the Sea Bears would be playing there. I suspect the Sea Bears product will suffer due to CLC... a crowd of 3,000 just gets lost in there. If you go to a Moose game you will see what I mean. 2,000 at Wayne Fleming is great atmosphere, the place is rocking and rolling, by contrast 3,000 at Canada Life Centre feels pretty dead and lifeless.

The trouble is there is nowhere else to play. I was at the Bison basketball game on Saturday and with a sellout crowd of 3,300 the lobby and concourses are uncomfortably crammed. It's not really ideal. Although it may have been a better option to create some energy and excitement than CLC.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatmak View Post
Having the Sea Bears play out of Wayne Flemming is just a no all around. They would move to Investors Group Athletic Centre before that but IGAC isn't well suited to events that size and really lacks the sort of amenities a team like the Sea Bears wants to offer their fans.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Having the Sea Bears play out of Wayne Flemming is just a no all around. They would move to Investors Group Athletic Centre before that but IGAC isn't well suited to events that size and really lacks the sort of amenities a team like the Sea Bears wants to offer their fans.
Yes, it is basically just a gym with a lot of seats and it totally lacks the types of things that a pro team would be looking to deliver.

IGAC is a great place to watch a university basketball game but I doubt it would meet the needs of a pro team.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think it's a fair bet that if there was a midsized facility, the Sea Bears would be playing there. I suspect the Sea Bears product will suffer due to CLC... a crowd of 3,000 just gets lost in there. If you go to a Moose game you will see what I mean. 2,000 at Wayne Fleming is great atmosphere, the place is rocking and rolling, by contrast 3,000 at Canada Life Centre feels pretty dead and lifeless.

The trouble is there is nowhere else to play. I was at the Bison basketball game on Saturday and with a sellout crowd of 3,300 the lobby and concourses are uncomfortably crammed. It's not really ideal. Although it may have been a better option to create some energy and excitement than CLC.
They really need to make sure they keep the seating directly around the court in the rink.

Really the seating should be on the floor and the sides really no wider than the hockey penalty boxes. Curtain off the ends. From their website looks like they just have seating behind the one hoop and 4 sections on each side so they are on that track.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 2:01 PM

^ The Sea Bears are basically just closing off one end of the lower bowl. You can see it in this diagram:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 2:35 PM

Well, you can cross Chilliwack off the list of potential destinations for the ICE

https://greggdrinnan.com/2023/02/27/...-in-moose-jaw/

Quote:
Brian Maloney, the general manager and head coach of the BCHL’s Chilliwack ChilliwackChiefs, says his club isn’t going anywhere and the WHL isn’t moving into the Chilliwack Coliseum.

He should know, too, because he also is the building’s GM.

“I’ll clear the air right now,” Maloney said in a post-game interview on Friday after a 4-3 OT loss to the visiting Nanaimo Clippers. “I’ll clear the air right now. The Chilliwack Chiefs aren’t going anywhere. The WHL’s not coming here. We’ve tried that song and dance before.
Chilliwack was one of the more appealing destinations being thrown around by pundits. So what's left? Wenatchee? Nanaimo (where the arena isn't much bigger than Wayne Fleming)? Back to Cranbrook where I'm sure they'll be met with open arms? Maybe Teulon? /s

In the meantime, the ICE are still going hard with season ticket renewals and summer sports programs for kids as in past years. They sure aren't acting like a team that's getting ready to leave town. I can't imagine that a last minute midnight move at this point (it's March) would likely result in a smashing success.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So what's left? Wenatchee? Nanaimo (where the arena isn't much bigger than Wayne Fleming)? Back to Cranbrook where I'm sure they'll be met with open arms? Maybe Teulon? /s
I hear Tempe (Phoenix) AZ has a new world class arena that seats about 5000 spectators. /s

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 8:20 PM

I am moving to Winnipeg next year and am thinking about getting tickets for the Winnipeg Ice games. I know the arena is small and the team could move etc. but I am wondering if the team will be any good next year after being so strong these last two years? I know they have top-end young players who are still 18 but will they be headed to the NHL next year, or traded to rebuild? Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkc90 View Post
I am moving to Winnipeg next year and am thinking about getting tickets for the Winnipeg Ice games. I know the arena is small and the team could move etc. but I am wondering if the team will be any good next year after being so strong these last two years? I know they have top-end young players who are still 18 but will they be headed to the NHL next year, or traded to rebuild? Thanks!

My guess is that the Ice will be a mediocre team next year, considering they are going "all in" now. Edmonton did the same thing last year, defeating the Ice to win the WHL title. Today, they are the worst team in the league, as all their players are now in the pros.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkc90 View Post
i'd say middle pack team. they will be losing a few guys to NHL but some of their best talent will only be drafted this year. Hauser the goalie is there still and quite a few others. Moore plays with my kid in u18AAA and I've known him since 6 yrs old, i think he'll be a force not as much next year, but definitely the years after that. the biggest thing that will hurt them is there lack of draft high round picks for coming 3 years.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 4:18 PM

Pretty strong rumors floating around MJHL that Wpg Freeze is folding and Wpg Blues are purchased by wealthy owner of WHL Wheat Kings and WCHA (Brandon hockey academy). Blues would play out of J&H homes arena (2 yr old arena). 1st class production facility.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 6:14 PM

The WHL Season has wrapped up, and the Winnipeg Ice have won home ice advantage throughout the playoffs, with a record of 57-10-1. The Ice went 9-1 in their last 10 games, and will battle Medicine Hat in the first round, starting friday in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 2:35 AM

The Ice defeat the Medicine Hat Tigers 5-3, to go up 1-0 in their playoff series.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan