HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
We have a tower crane base! It is next to the larger of the two massive parking garages so it looks like they will be starting on one of the high rises as soon as the garage is done. Sorry I couldn't snap a picture, rainy days and PATCO windows don't make for great pictures.
Glad to hear that. I've beaten the dead horse on this issue but what's built is so jarring, seeing more square footage of parking garage than office buildings is really bizarre. These continuing phases will start to overcome that, which is great.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Glad to hear that. I've beaten the dead horse on this issue but what's built is so jarring, seeing more square footage of parking garage than office buildings is really bizarre. These continuing phases will start to overcome that, which is great.
If you look at the shorter building's renderings, the bottom looks to be a parking garage. Is it possible thats why it's so huge?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 10:55 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
We have a tower crane base! It is next to the larger of the two massive parking garages so it looks like they will be starting on one of the high rises as soon as the garage is done. Sorry I couldn't snap a picture, rainy days and PATCO windows don't make for great pictures.
Nice! IIRC the next two buildings due to go up are a hotel and an apartment building.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:31 PM

Tower Crane Going on as I type, will get a photo later. Guess this can be moved to U/C?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieman View Post
Tower Crane Going on as I type, will get a photo later. Guess this can be moved to U/C?
Awesome!!! Yes, as long as the tower crane is for the first tower, this thread would be moved to U/C.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Awesome!!! Yes, as long as the tower crane is for the first tower, this thread would be moved to U/C.
The tower crane is for the 11 stories of steel going on top of the larger parking garage. They are supposed to start erecting steel this week.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:55 AM

Someone get a photo!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:02 AM

Steel erection has started. Not sure why this hasn’t been in the UC section since the base of the 18 story building started in October when the garage started.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
Steel erection has started. Not sure why this hasn’t been in the UC section since the base of the 18 story building started in October when the garage started.
We didn't have any confirmation that they were going to move straight into it. Personally I've grown up waiting for towers at 15th and Race.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Someone get a photo!
I second this. When was the last time we had word of construction with no photos?

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 11:15 PM

Photos (note the Eagles flags on both cranes) ...

Ventured to beautiful downtown Camden. Just imagine if these were both 500 ft. towers.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:18 AM

^^Amazing seeing a tower crane up in Camden. Pumped for this project!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 4:03 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
^^Amazing seeing a tower crane up in Camden. Pumped for this project!
This and Schuylkill Yards combined will help make Philadelphia a more interesting destination.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
This and Schuylkill Yards combined will help make Philadelphia a more interesting destination.

Ok here's another one that no-one is going to like but ..... after a cursory examination of Camden with Google Earth , I believe I
counted something like three dozen vacant or parking lots between Erie st. and Spruce , running from the Delaware river out to
Rt. 676 ...... and I might have missed a few dozen.
Not to down play the current development taking place at the water front but , most of the decayed waste land in the down town
section has been there for fifty or more years . So IMHO the delay in development might have been politically motivated by our
Trenton and northern neighbors .
Nothing from nothing , my demented theory persuades me to think the most robust injection of funds ( state , private , local or
other wise ) are a separate issue from SY's development and are eons behind being of any help at all .....

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Ok here's another one that no-one is going to like but ..... after a cursory examination of Camden with Google Earth , I believe I
counted something like three dozen vacant or parking lots between Erie st. and Spruce , running from the Delaware river out to
Not to down play the current development taking place at the water front but , most of the decayed waste land in the down town
section has been there for fifty or more years . So IMHO the delay in development might have been politically motivated by our
Nothing from nothing , my demented theory persuades me to think the most robust injection of funds ( state , private , local or
other wise ) are a separate issue from SY's development and are eons behind being of any help at all .....
Not sure what you are saying, but this development in Camden has nothing to do with Schuylkill Yards and will do little to nothing for Philadelphia besides create a nicer place to look at the skyline and something of architectural interest from Penn's Landing Park. Certainly in the near term. Down the line, it might help boost Camden's profile into somewhat of a satellite city and create more of a synergistic relationship with Philly. Whether it actually improves Camden rather than just making it into an Edge City remains to be seen. A lot will depend on whether they can make the residential and retail components of these Waterfront projects a success and get people to live there.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 7:49 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Camden's parking crater was awarded the worst in the country a couple of years ago. It is ginormous. It'll take a generation to infill, easy.

Other than that ... no idea what you're saying.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Hammer , sorry if I was not more concise ......

I am trying to say , yes SY will definitely be an enormous plus for the city and
hopefully it will generate a plus factor beyond our imagination . I am also saying
I don't see Camden being of any benefit to Philly .... Maybe to Camden a dozen
years or so but not to Philly ..... me thinks .

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Hammer , sorry if I was not more concise ......

I am trying to say , yes SY will definitely be an enormous plus for the city and
hopefully it will generate a plus factor beyond our imagination . I am also saying
I don't see Camden being of any benefit to Philly .... Maybe to Camden a dozen
years or so but not to Philly ..... me thinks .
I think most here would agree with you.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:01 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
I don't see Camden being of any benefit to Philly
Camden is a satellite city of ours. Our satellite cities doing well is symptomatic of our core doing well. It's the same dynamic as Jersey City or Newark have with NYC.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Camden is a satellite city of ours. Our satellite cities doing well is symptomatic of our core doing well. It's the same dynamic as Jersey City or Newark have with NYC.
I would have to disagree with this. I think Camden could be a satellite city, but it has not functioned as one to date in any traditional sense of the word notwithstanding its geographical proximity. And the development we are seeing there now is not a function of its proximity to Philly. I do think Camden could function as a integrated, synergistic satellite city down the line if Philly develops as we hope it will and it is shaping up to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive