HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 10:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
As montrealiste pointed out, there’s several distinct segments; they probably mean the Verdun section south of the expressway, but by not mentioning it, show they’re pretty clueless.

My sis lives in Verdun, couple blocks off Wellington. My best friend when he moved to MTL ended up in Verdun too; my memories of these days was cheap junk food places serving hot dogs and fries at the lowest possible prices.

If you want to talk about that street, you say “Wellington in Verdun”, not “Wellington in Montreal”. That’s if, of course, you know what you’re talking about - which the intern who put that list together clearly does not
Yep, I used to head out to Wellington in Verdun for the cheapest Montreal-style steamies and poutine. Usually the morning (afternoon) after a long night out. Breakfast of champions.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Yep, I used to head out to Wellington in Verdun …
You were a pioneer of cool, doing that ~25 years before it got deemed cool!

Speaking of which, very easy question: what’s the most cool street in Verdun?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 12:32 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm cool. Been to that spot in Montreal.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 3:56 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
If I were to nominate somewhere in my city it would be Harringey Green Lanes, the roaring nexus where Turks, Greeks and Kurds meet in one street and get it on, packed with independent businesses and it's fair share of 'edge'. Architecturally it's a dreamboat, but it's vibe on the street is completely different, very vibrant and mixed:

It's been close to a decade since I lived (briefly) in London, so my references are no doubt out of date, but I loved Green Lanes. It wasn't what I would describe as conventionally cool, but it was definitely interesting, vibrant, and attractive - a perfect neighbourhood high street. Also loved Peckham Rye, amongst many more.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 1:40 PM
if I sang out of tune

Yep, there are pa-lenty of conventionally 'cool' streets in the city, populated by fashionistas but look closer and they're all chains or upmarket boutiques, underneath the indy second-hand vibe, where the prices are no different from posho West London. Typical example would be places like Broadway Market St or Exmouth St, famous for their hopping vibe but also very expensive, and hyped. Despite being in the heart of working class areas, you'll rarely see any members of that class represented. Still great to hang out in, with good food:

https://www.ec1echo.co.uk/wp-content...754105930.jpeg

Peckham is still going strong, and very in with the hipsters for the nightlife and Bussey Building, though its sister block went the way of the redevelopers (there are even two skyscrapers planned). Lots of great independent food options still, the cheapest cinema in the city and local markets -it'll be very hard to erase the 'edge' the area has too, no matter how many council blocks you populate with middle class flat-white drinkers.

Last edited by muppet; Aug 28, 2022 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:31 PM

Choosing MacDougal Street as NYC's "coolest" has the vibes of a late-40s Gen-Xer that hasn't lived in the city since the mid 00s. I'm a a late-30s millennial who is probably also a little too old to be deeming what's "cool"... but anyway, here's my take:
  • St. Marks Place - This street has a talent for recalibrating itself to the 18-25 crowd. Contrast that to MacDougal Street, which has gradually evolved from a nightlife destination for the early 20s crowd, to a date night destination for married suburbanites.
  • Ludlow Street - After decades of heavy gentrification Ludlow is starting to show signs of going down the path of MacDougal, but the street still has some of its edge left. It is probably still the king of Manhattan nightlife for the 21-30 y/o crowd.
  • Wyckoff Avenue, Bushwick - Bushwick is the coolest neighborhood in NYC nowadays, and I think Wyckoff is probably the heart of it.
  • Tompkins Avenue, Bedford-Stuyvesant - Bed Stuy is probably the second coolest neighborhood in NYC right now. I would nominate Tompkins as the "coolest" street there.
  • Franklin Avenue or Nostrand Avenue , Crown Heights - Crown Heights is probably the third hottest neighborhood in NYC right now and Franklin and Nostrand Avenues are anchoring the scene in the neighborhood. Franklin Avenue got a head start in the gentrification of Crown Heights, but Nostrand Avenue is hot on its tail.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:41 PM

Augusta Street in São Paulo has gentrified a bit, but it could easily make to this list. Maybe it will feature on the next editions.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Yep, there are pa-lenty of conventionally 'cool' streets in the city, populated by fashionistas but look closer and they're all chains or upmarket boutiques, underneath the indy second-hand vibe, where the prices are no different from posho West London. Typical example would be places like Broadway Market St or Exmouth St, famous for their hopping vibe but also very expensive, and hyped. Despite being in the heart of working class areas, you'll rarely see any members of that class represented. Still great to hang out in, with good food:

https://www.ec1echo.co.uk/wp-content...754105930.jpeg

Peckham is still going strong, and very in with the hipsters for the nightlife and Bussey Building, though its sister block went the way of the redevelopers (there are even two skyscrapers planned). Lots of great independent food options still, the cheapest cinema in the city and local markets -it'll be very hard to erase the 'edge' the area has too, no matter how many council blocks you populate with middle class flat-white drinkers.
Come on Eileen

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 10:12 PM

Wasn't MacDougal street cool in like 1955? That's where the Beats hung out, in coffeshops, in the postwar era, when the Central Village was bohemian. Kinda weird to throw it out as cool in 2022. Maybe their grandkids are Making MacDougal Cool Again.

The only notable thing I can think of on MacDougal is Mamoun's Falafel, which is kind of a NY institution.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Wasn't MacDougal street cool in like 1955? That's where the Beats hung out, in coffeshops, in the postwar era, when the Central Village was bohemian. Kinda weird to throw it out as cool in 2022. Maybe their grandkids are Making MacDougal Cool Again.

The only notable thing I can think of on MacDougal is Mamoun's Falafel, which is kind of a NY institution.
On the Street View, it looks cute, not cool.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 11:07 PM

You know what makes a street cool? Twenty-something crowds sitting directly on the disgusting pavement with or without shoes on in front of perfectly good seating. That is the true barometer of coolness.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
You know what makes a street cool? Twenty-something crowds sitting directly on the disgusting pavement with or without shoes on in front of perfectly good seating. That is the true barometer of coolness.

That’s what it used to be on Jacques-Cartier Square, Old Montreal when I hung out there 45 years ago. Today, even the homeless have better pods to protect their fannies.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 2:59 PM
Explorateur urbain

A few pics of Wellington street ("la Well") in Verdun, taken from this Twitter post. It was a bit quiet when these pics were taken : it's packed with people all summer long, until late in the evening.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
I wouldn't consider 8th St to be close to the top coolest streets in Miami much less the world. I mean there's not a lot to it. I guess you could take it from Downtown Miami to Naples, so there's that. Even the part through Little Havana is not what is once was. Too many vacant lots as developers try to piece together properties to build large donut apartment buildings.
Yeah... there's more going on there now than there was say, 10 years ago, but it's really just a handful of pockets of activity separated by a total auto-oriented environment. I like it, but as you mentioned, not a lot to it and definitely cooler streets in Miami.

Much of Calle Ocho is this stuff... which in a lot of ways is much more authentic than the "cool" sections.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, MacDougal St is where the comedy clubs are located on the show Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The street is actually still a hub for comedy clubs to this very day.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
You were a pioneer of cool, doing that ~25 years before it got deemed cool!

Speaking of which, very easy question: what’s the most cool street in Verdun?
No one has managed to answer that yet?!? Hint, it connects de l’Église to Hickson …

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 3:55 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
No one has managed to answer that yet?!? Hint, it connects de l’Église to Hickson …
Cool street, contrarily to what its name suggests, isn't the coolest street in Verdun...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:08 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Wentworth Ave. in Chicago is a pretty long street... I'm assuming they're referring to the section of it that weaves through Chinatown? While interesting, I'm not sure I'd call it "cool" by any means, although that word is obviously a very subjective one. I don't know. Chinatown has just always been there... always a mainstay... a place I have been going to for decades now and feel very comfortable, so maybe that's why I don't see it as "cool."
Yeah, if you click through they explain they mean through Chinatown. It's cool enough and I guess they didn't want to list the obvious streets like Michigan or Milwaukee or Clark...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 9:01 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah... there's more going on there now than there was say, 10 years ago, but it's really just a handful of pockets of activity separated by a total auto-oriented environment. I like it, but as you mentioned, not a lot to it and definitely cooler streets in Miami.

Much of Calle Ocho is this stuff... which in a lot of ways is much more authentic than the "cool" sections.
I was underwhelmed by Calle Ocho. Not sure what i was expecting but Havana with perhaps more Starbucks and cars built after the Nixon era...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 9:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Cool street, contrarily to what its name suggests, isn't the coolest street in Verdun...
Haha, I momentarily forgot about this street. It has been close to 20 years since I was a regular Verdun flaneur.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions