HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:00 PM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
From an article published today in ChicagoMag:

“[One Bennett Park] is our signature development and will be for the foreseeable future,” Bailey says. “It’s a building that will mark the eastern edge of the Chicago skyline in perpetuity.”

Those bolded words, emphasis mine, don't inspire confidence in the height of whatever Related plans for the Spire site. If Bennett Park is to mark the eastern edge "in perpetuity," then let's just give up our dreams of a giant development at 400 N LSD.
I think Magellan also deflected on the topic of the remaining sites at LSE for the sake of Vista's sales, so I don't think there's much weight in that statement. Other than the actual remark that it will be around for quite some time at quite a noticeable height.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:11 AM

Related, occasionally with Stern, do pretty high quality development in New York. Maybe they've figured Chicago isn't enough of a competitive market to warrant higher quality.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:36 AM

Just curious: does anyone know what kind of money Related might be saving by not doing the bronze?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:54 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
From an article published today in ChicagoMag:

“[One Bennett Park] is our signature development and will be for the foreseeable future,” Bailey says. “It’s a building that will mark the eastern edge of the Chicago skyline in perpetuity.”

Those bolded words, emphasis mine, don't inspire confidence in the height of whatever Related plans for the Spire site. If Bennett Park is to mark the eastern edge "in perpetuity," then let's just give up our dreams of a giant development at 400 N LSD.
It's a marketing ploy. It wont help them sell condos at OBP if they hint that they will build an even taller tower in the neighborhood in a few years time. I wouldn't be too worried.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 1:16 AM

02/06/18

02/08/18

Last edited by BVictor1; Feb 10, 2018 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:15 AM

^^ those are some very nice shots

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:37 AM
Small but Mighty

For some reason, I can't bring myself to dislike it. The setbacks are just killer!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:57 AM

If you want classic, throwback architecture, then Robert AM Stern is about 30x the architect that Lucien Lagrange is.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:34 AM

I cant believe im saying this but i kinda wish the other towers around this were shorter so obp would look taller.

Or, oh I dont know, slap another 10 floors on top of OBP.
I guess what I'm getting at is I thought this one would soar well above all those other streeterville towers, more than what it appears to in these pictures. Great set by the way bvic.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
I cant believe im saying this but i kinda wish the other towers around this were shorter so obp would look taller.

Or, oh I dont know, slap another 10 floors on top of OBP.
I guess what I'm getting at is I thought this one would soar well above all those other streeterville towers, more than what it appears to in these pictures. Great set by the way bvic.
It actually does stand above most buildings in the immediate area and it's just that the(excellent) pics are from street level and makes it hard to see it!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:54 PM
1st Ward

I'd say its a good problem to have when an 800+ footer doesn't stand out as much as we'd like in the skyline.

In a lot of other US cities, this building would be their tallest.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:48 PM

The shape of the building has turned out very pleasing and balanced. The setbacks allow your eyes to visually climb its length.

The arch details on the ground floor are excellent too. This is a building that conveys solidity while soaring.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 6:53 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

The tower has a nice silhouette, but it's missing something. Great Art Deco towers mix limestone (in this case, pre-cast concrete) with metal panels. The renderings indicated there would be some copper colored metal panels, but they VE'd that out.. So it's a nice tower in many ways, but it appears a little off. Some metal would go a long way!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 1:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
02/06/18

Now that I can see it, I really like the massing on this one. I can easily see it on the canyons of Manhattan.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 12:48 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
This is a good point...bronze is very pricey, so if you gotta VE, why not go w a less expensive metal? As beautiful as the form is here, it is in dire need of some contrasting elements
There's a building on wacker that gave up its aluminum panels so maybe use those?

And I thought they were going to paint bronze color onto this building though.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:29 PM

Bronze or no bronze, it’s still better than Lagrange.

In all seriousness though, I’m sure they’ll eventually do something for the “bronze” bits. If not real bronze then perhaps some other type of metal colored to resemble bronze, similar to the window frames.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 6:26 PM

I like the massing on this tower but... this tower does not belong in Chicago I don't think it fits in, it belongs somewhere in the lines of new york. I'm not complaining though 800 footer in Chicago! Just look at the vibe Chicago gives, it really does not fit in.

Last edited by 230Roberto; Feb 11, 2018 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 7:24 PM

What about just the lantern covered in Stainless steel or Copper?

I could dig that!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:12 PM

any darker color at top would be good.

next test is the park

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:40 PM

If you look at the mockups the panels were probably not bronze but some kind of colored aluminum. Maybe they had doubts about how the facade would hold up to the elements, especially considering it's lakeside.

Also, there was a recent rendering showing that the lantern wouldn't get any metal paneling, so we better get used to the idea that it's going to be the austere, unadorned facade. Maybe if this project is a success, Related and Stern will have another project in a blue chip location that will get more ornamentation.

The park should be fine at least, Michael Van Valkenburgh one of the foremost landscape architects practicing right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive