HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 3:18 AM

From Zero to Hero. Best building renovation since the OPO itself next door. I love the lobby as well.

https://www.scb.com/project/canal-station/

The paint job is brilliant. 333 S Wabash vibes. The paint job was not in the design renderings and is a surprise.

But is there some kind of conspiracy to paint this town orange???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
September 19, 2023

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
If it's a conspiracy, then it's Chicago's worst kept secret. . . I think it's just a design trend that references the legacy brick warehouse buildings. . . maybe not, but that's just my opinion on it. . .

. . .

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 2:32 PM

My render studio did all the visualizations for the project. I'm surprised SCB hasn't had them updated on their website as those ones are 4 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
From Zero to Hero. Best building renovation since the OPO itself next door. I love the lobby as well.

https://www.scb.com/project/canal-station/

The paint job is brilliant. 333 S Wabash vibes. The paint job was not in the design renderings and is a surprise.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 6:34 PM

What I like is it will create a pop of color in that direction of the skyline much like the old CNA building does from the lakefront.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 5:14 AM

Oh nice work! Actually now these do ring a bell - I believe I remember you sharing them but I forgot about the paint. Now we just need to get them to update their site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
My render studio did all the visualizations for the project. I'm surprised SCB hasn't had them updated on their website as those ones are 4 years old

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 2:11 PM

1700 S Wabash got construction permits. Has anyone passed by 1630 S Wabash to see if they've broken ground for the highrise there?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 7:32 PM
Chicago

1630 S Wabash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
1700 S Wabash got construction permits. Has anyone passed by 1630 S Wabash to see if they've broken ground for the highrise there?
September 5, 2023

I haven't been past the site recently, but earlier this month there was no activity.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 2:16 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
If it's a conspiracy, then it's Chicago's worst kept secret. . . I think it's just a design trend that references the legacy brick warehouse buildings. . . maybe not, but that's just my opinion on it. . .

. . .
Maybe, but I think most of these architects are skilled enough to know the difference between a muted brick tone and a bright orange.

I think that S Canal area is just a very drab part of town, with wide roads and a lot of very gray, low-slung buildings. A pop of color is a breath of fresh air over there.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 3:17 PM

Post Saving Century & Consumers Buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
got this in the mail

I signed up to attend virtually and testified via public comments yesterday afternoon. I'm glad I did. I almost didn't, thinking there would be plenty of residents or folks from sites like this that would interject. But I was 1 of only about 10 or less who made comments. All public comments were strongly in support of preservation.

I'd encourage everyone here to submit written comments by October 31 to:

Written comments should be submitted via electronic comment form, mail or email. By electronic comment form: https://tinyurl.com/GSADEISComment By email to StateStreet@gsa.gov, and by mail to Joseph Mulligan, General Services Administration, 230 S. Dearborn Street, Suite 3600, Chicago, IL 60604

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
I signed up to attend virtually and testified via public comments yesterday afternoon. I'm glad I did. I almost didn't, thinking there would be plenty of residents or folks from sites like this that would interject. But I was 1 of only about 10 or less who made comments. All public comments were strongly in support of preservation.

Written comments should be submitted via electronic comment form, mail or email. By electronic comment form: https://tinyurl.com/GSADEISComment By email to StateStreet@gsa.gov, and by mail to Joseph Mulligan, General Services Administration, 230 S. Dearborn Street, Suite 3600, Chicago, IL 60604
I went in person. I'd say close to 30 people made comments. I also urge people here to send in written statements. Chief Judge of the Northern District of Illinois US Court (who is also chair of the security committee of the Dirksen Building) spoke, and she pushed a lot rhetoric about the 'security issue' of the State Street block vis a vis the Dirksen, including supposed threats to visiting schoolchildren. It would be great if people wrote in and indicated (or explicitly expressed) that their intelligence will not be insulted regarding such claims.

There are 9 sites of original Chicago School buildings in Chicago being proposed as UNESCO World Heritage sites, and I believe the Century and Consumers are direct descendants of the 9 buildings in the proposal. Chicago's architectural and cultural story, from the Chicago School to the present day, is discontinuous without the Century and Consumers. Not to mention the other more immediate deleterious effects of demolition. I believe the Century building, in particular, is singular in its architectural, historical, and civic value.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:47 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

thanks, ended up not being able to make it myself. I'll write some written comments...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:48 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I went in person. I'd say close to 30 people made comments. I also urge people here to send in written statements. Chief Judge of the Northern District of Illinois US Court (who is also chair of the security committee of the Dirksen Building) spoke, and she pushed a lot rhetoric about the 'security issue' of the State Street block vis a vis the Dirksen, including supposed threats to visiting schoolchildren. It would be great if people wrote in and indicated (or explicitly expressed) that their intelligence will not be insulted regarding such claims.

There are 9 sites of original Chicago School buildings in Chicago being proposed as UNESCO World Heritage sites, and I believe the Century and Consumers are direct descendants of the 9 buildings in the proposal. Chicago's architectural and cultural story, from the Chicago School to the present day, is discontinuous without the Century and Consumers. Not to mention the other more immediate deleterious effects of demolition. I believe the Century building, in particular, is singular in its architectural, historical, and civic value.
Perhaps the court should move to the Block 37 cavern.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 8:45 PM

Quote:

Am surprised preservation advocacy groups haven't generated more comments. They have mailing lists, etc. They should be active in this.

Regarding Alternative B Reuse, does anyone know if is there a specific proposal put forth or are there simply guidelines for how the reuse would be managed?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Am surprised preservation advocacy groups haven't generated more comments. They have mailing lists, etc. They should be active in this.

Regarding Alternative B Reuse, does anyone know if is there a specific proposal put forth or are there simply guidelines for how the reuse would be managed?
Ward Miller, president of Preservation Chicago, spoke in person. As did someone from Landmarks Illinois. As did someone from Preservation Futures. Joe Antunovich (of Antunovich Arch.) spoke from Zoom (Joe and co. restored the Reliance building back in the day -- a good analog for the Century Building).

The GSA did not present a specific restoration/rehabilitation proposal at the hearing. The final Environmental Impact Statement is scheduled to be released early next year; decision on that made public the following Spring.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Joe Antunovich (of Antunovich Arch.) spoke from Zoom (Joe and co. restored the Reliance building back in the day -- a good analog for the Century Building).
Joe's company was also the architect selected by CA Ventures to convert these buildings residential before the Feds sunk the deal and CA walked:

https://www.multifamilyexecutive.com...ment-project_o

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Ward Miller, president of Preservation Chicago, spoke in person. As did someone from Landmarks Illinois. As did someone from Preservation Futures. Joe Antunovich (of Antunovich Arch.) spoke from Zoom (Joe and co. restored the Reliance building back in the day -- a good analog for the Century Building).

The GSA did not present a specific restoration/rehabilitation proposal at the hearing. The final Environmental Impact Statement is scheduled to be released early next year; decision on that made public the following Spring.
Good to see groups involved. If they can demonstrate some additional grassroots enthusiasm, that might exert a little more pressure on the feds - and local leadership - to come up with a better solution.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 12:58 AM
Chicago

Damen Green Line Station - Lake Street and Damen Avenue

September 25, 2023

Also posted in the CHICAGO: Transit Developments thread.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...01657&page=814

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 12:59 AM
Chicago

151 N Michigan

September 26, 2023

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 1:00 AM
Chicago

Canal Station - 801 S Canal

September 28, 2023

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 1:01 AM
Chicago

Chicago Riverwalk - The Boardwalk between Franklin and Lake (The Confluence District)

October 2, 2023

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development