HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 3:31 PM

I also think they need to make it more clear to (average non-SSP) people which lanes are one-way. Ex: do not enter icons on the reverse side of existing signage. Maybe even directing people to the other side/street to find correct ones. Pembina north of Grant is bad for people going the wrong way.

When Garry/Fort is done next year, put some "NO BIKING ON SIDEWALK – USE GARRY ST" etc. signs up.

And for god sakes, get rid of the BIKE ROUTE signs where there's a diamond bike lane. Diamonds to designate actual separated bike lanes (whether painted, buffered, or protected) and BIKE ROUTE signs on the boulevards or non-bike lane routes. Then, make some actual bike route numbers, with end destination names, just like transit has – just saying "bike route" doesn't help people much.. where is it going?

Austin, TX has bike route numbers/names on all the cycling wayfinding signage. Something like below would be fantastic, and where there's a bike diamond lane, the info goes on that sign (oh and those should use green ink to be different from bus ones).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Bells are good. As someone who walks all over downtown at first I thought people using the bells were being ******* ("i wasn't even in your way - plenty of room to go around!") but now appreciate it - would rather know then make a hard turn across the path and get run into.
Exactly, I ring the bell so pedestrians are aware I’m coming from behind. Especially if they have earbuds in or a hood up, they might not hear a bike approaching. I think some folks think I’m being an a**h***, but I’d rather that than crash into a pedestrian who suddenly steps in my path.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 6:16 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I think some folks think I’m being an a**h***, but I’d rather that than crash into a pedestrian who suddenly steps in my path.
Worrying about being considered an a**h*** is the main reason why I always find myself very conservative when using my bell.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 8:18 PM

Road painting done and signage up on new Princess bike lane. Different signs than other places again, I don't understand how this keeps happening. Lane signage is similar to Sherbrook as opposed to rest of Exchange, but incorrectly shows two-way bike traffic. No wonder why people keep going the wrong way on these – city can't even get it right.

Also no bollards between parking and bike lane – people were parked properly today, but curious to see if that holds up in winter.

I'm curious about the little parking stations they've put in. They're painted like little mini parking spots, with no racks. Are they supposed to be for scooters? Maybe bike racks are coming, but it'd be odd to paint lines on the pavement if so.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:38 PM
BANNED

today at 1145.. tried the bell

Last edited by headhorse; Oct 10, 2018 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
today at 1145.. tried the bell

[IMG][/IMG]

Same thing happened to me today on the McDermot bike lane. Two tree service trucks were parked in the bike lane. Not working, just parked. Had to ride on the sidewalk to get around them.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Where are they supposed to park? Should trades refuse to do work in areas with bike lanes because there is no parking?

Geez, give them some leeway. Bicycle fanatics can be such assholes.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:41 PM
BANNED

yeah, i'd be fine with that if they had a detour set up? they had pilons before and that was good enough. they were just blocking it and sending people into traffic

there is street parking literally on Assiniboine (I saw an open space across the street) and all the side streets, plus space in front of the building (you can see it in the photo)

bicyclists deserve to feel safe, too, and expect others to follow the rules of the road. no one would get away with parking their car in the middle of main street?

Last edited by headhorse; Oct 9, 2018 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:31 AM

It is pretty ignorant, but if they can close a street they can close a bike lane. They should issue an addendum to the Manual of Temporary Traffic Control with a section on bike lanes. Then they would be held to the same standard as with roadways.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:43 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Soon there will be a lobby advocating for seperate lanes for tricycles.

If there are people in your way because they are working (a concept foreign to the cycling lobby) try riding on the road or sidewalk. You know, like everybody else does?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:49 AM
BANNED

that section of assinboine is a one way, so you're advocating people either go the wrong way down a one way (illegal) or ride on the sidewalk (illegal). I thought you all hated how cyclists don't follow the rules?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:55 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Who cares? It is bicycles. What cyclist cares about traffic laws? And face it, a service truck causes the 3-5 cyclists per day to divert, who gives a shit?

These people are working ffs.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:21 AM

The reason we have lanes for bikes and not for tricycles is because bicycles are a quick and highly efficient way of transportation for large amounts of people, while tricycles aren't. If they weren't then people wouldn't use bikes as a popular way to get to work on time, or run errands like groceries and appointments. I guess some people (mostly suburbanites) have just never given thought to how cycling is more than something you're only supposed to do for recreational fun. If these people were just trying to enjoy a nice little ride then they probably wouldn't be biking in the middle of a stressful and risky environment like a fast moving traffic lane!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Who cares? It is bicycles. What cyclist cares about traffic laws? And face it, a service truck causes the 3-5 cyclists per day to divert, who gives a shit?

These people are working ffs.
disregarding the safety of 1000's of winnipeger's is a really shitty look. i'm not going to engage with you anymore, and i'm not sure why you're still welcome here.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:47 AM

Man spends retirement years trolling Winnipeg cycling thread.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
disregarding the safety of 1000's of winnipeger's is a really shitty look. i'm not going to engage with you anymore, and i'm not sure why you're still welcome here.
He truly is an angry and bitter person. I pity him honestly.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:14 PM

There is supposed to be more moderation now so at least if he goes off on one his deep end rants there's a greater possibility he'll get called on it. But yes, I agree, he is a rather pathetic creature.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:52 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Where are they supposed to park? Should trades refuse to do work in areas with bike lanes because there is no parking?

... meanwhile old people can be so ignorant.

Don't you have a lawn to tell people to get off of?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
... meanwhile old people can be so ignorant.

Don't you have a lawn to tell people to get off of?
We were working at the building this morning. We chose to park our large vehicle on a side street. Yes, it would have been easier to carry our materials and tools from the adjacent bike lane, but we decided park legally further away.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Amen, the money being spent for such a small percentage of the population that cycle commute or otherwise feel the need to ride at peak times in traffic is completely ridiculous and even more so considering that we are a winter city.

Was in Dublin and Belfast a few weeks back and saw none of this bike lane foolishness that we have here and in both those cities you can probably ride year round!

Dedicated separate active transportation pathways get used, dedicated bike lanes hacked into roadways don't!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan