HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 7:00 PM

https://www.continentscondiments.com...nations/osaka/
Osaka, Japan

The set includes Miami, the city with the hottest summers in the eastern US, and hottest annual temperatures in the whole US. We also get the Japanese city with the hottest summers - Naha, on the island of Okinawa, located more than 500km south of the main Japanese islands. Osaka has the hottest summers among the big cities on the main Japanese islands. We also get a whole bunch of Chinese cities - most Chinese cities have similar summer weather - average daily highs in the low 30s, and lows in the low-mid 20s. It's that way from Beijing in the north, to Guangzhou and Hong Kong in the south, Shanghai in between, and even as far inland as Wuhan and Chongqing. Only far northern China, far western China (ex Xinjiang) and high elevation cities have cooler summers.

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 8/62
Latin America: 9/94
Europe: 1/75
Africa: 14/92
West Asia: 27/54
Central & North Asia: 2/19
South Asia: 84/97
Southeast Asia: 12/42
East Asia: 23/155
Oceania: 0/6

Last edited by memph; Aug 2, 2022 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 7:41 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I'm going to guess Mosul...
Being in Mosul and Qatar/Kuwait in the same day...the latter two were hotter.
Like oven hot.
Doha has 2.3 million and Kuwait City has 3 million (in the metro).

Last edited by TWAK; Aug 2, 2022 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 7:51 PM

Presuming the next batch is another "empty the bag of Chinese cities," South Asia will be more than half of the remaining list.

Also impressed by how long the last European city is staying on. Edit: Looks like the Last European City is at a hottest monthly average of 29.5 C, so it'll take two more updates to shake it out.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Presuming the next batch is another "empty the bag of Chinese cities," South Asia will be more than half of the remaining list.
yup.

https://www.tripadvisor.in/Attractio..._Province.html
Taif, Saudi Arabia

Located at an elevation of over 6000 ft in the mountains near Jeddah and Mecca, Taif is a popular getaway for Saudis looking to escape the summer heat, and is the coolest of the 6 large Saudi cities included on the list. Summers in Taif are nonetheless hotter than in over 75% of the world's large cities. This set also includes Mersin, Turkey, the hottest city in Turkey, and the hottest city in the Asian part of the Mediterranean region. Also, with 84.5% of its cities still remaining, South Asia now makes up over half the remaining cities.

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 8/62
Latin America: 9/94
Europe: 1/75
Africa: 14/92
West Asia: 24/54
South Asia: 82/97
Southeast Asia: 10/42
East Asia: 10/155

Last edited by memph; Aug 2, 2022 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 4:17 AM

https://ca.hotels.com/go/indonesia/bali-denpasar
Denpasar, Indonesia

We've finally reached Athens, the city with the hottest summers in Europe, and also the hottest summers in the Mediterranean as a whole. However, it's not the only region to see all its last city revealed. Teresina has the hottest monthly mean in Brazil, and Managua has the hottest monthly mean in Central America. Additionally, Da Nang is the hottest in Vietnam and Denpasar on the island of Bali has the hottest monthly mean in Indonesia.

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 7/62
Latin America: 7/94
Europe: 0/75
Africa: 11/92
West Asia: 23/54
South Asia: 80/97
Southeast Asia: 6/42
East Asia: 4/155

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 10:43 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Irrelevant anecdote here, but I showed this photo to my husband, who used to live in Guayaquil. He noted that the colorful buildings in the background used to be a slum so deadly that even the Ecuadoreans wouldn't go there, let alone tourists. However, the city has been working to turn it into a tourist zone and arts district with some apparent success, just like they've been working to improve the entire central city.

He also says that you just get used to the heat, even in Guayaquil where it's tropical with boggy humidity every day, and "cold weather" is defined by temperatures in the 80s. He said that before long when he was living there, he was walking around in a three-piece suit and drinking hot coffee like all the other upwardly mobile guys on the go in the business district.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Irrelevant anecdote here, but I showed this photo to my husband, who used to live in Guayaquil. He noted that the colorful buildings in the background used to be a slum so deadly that even the Ecuadoreans wouldn't go there, let alone tourists. However, the city has been working to turn it into a tourist zone and arts district with some apparent success, just like they've been working to improve the entire central city.

He also says that you just get used to the heat, even in Guayaquil where it's tropical with boggy humidity every day, and "cold weather" is defined by temperatures in the 80s. He said that before long when he was living there, he was walking around in a three-piece suit and drinking hot coffee like all the other upwardly mobile guys on the go in the business district.
I've been there with a school group in high school, back in 2007 I believe it was. They didn't let us wander around but we did walk up the main set of steps from the waterfront to the top of Santa Ana hill, and it seemed pretty nice. Not wealthy by any means but it didn't seem dangerous or overly slum-like, I thought it looked quite charming with all the colourful houses. The stairway looked pretty new and attractive, and there were lots of small shops selling ice cream to tourists.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 6:46 PM

Eager to see if the next batch finishes off East Asia, or if there's a random city that manages to sneak ahead by an extra half degree or so. Highest I saw on Wiki for China was a 29.8 C average.

And then we can get to India India India Pakistan India Iran India India.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 8:56 PM

https://www.thequint.com/news/world/...in-herat-kabul
Herat, Afghanistan

We've finally reached the 30C mean temps, and we're finally starting to put a dent into the South Asia cities, although 3/4 of them still haven't been revealed. Many regions are also fully revealed now. Maracaibo is has the hottest monthly mean in South America, Port-Au-Prince has the hottest mean in the Caribbean islands, Hengyang located in the interior part of southern China is the hottest in that country, and Taiwan is the hottest in East Asia.

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 6/62
Latin America: 2/94
Europe: 0/75
Africa: 10/92
West Asia: 22/54
Central & North Asia: 1/19
South Asia: 73/97
Southeast Asia: 6/42
East Asia: 0/155

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 3:14 AM

6 US cities left:

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 3:59 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
6 US cities left:

My guess at the remaining order, e.g. least to most:

Dallas
Austin
Phoenix
Tucson
McAllen
Las Vegas

1/4 of me wants to move Austin to be the last city to appear, but nah.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 4:57 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Isn't Phoenix hotter than Las Vegas?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:19 AM

Phoenix is hotter than Tucson for sure (lower elevation).

This thread’s criterion is average daily temp, though. Which means that desert cities that are furnaces during the day could rank “cooler” due to their nights than low-elevation high-humidity cities like those in the Lower RGV of Texas.

(I am not looking them up so just guessing.)

Another deduction: Since San Antonio appeared already, surely Austin isn’t far behind.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 9:50 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I've been there with a school group in high school, back in 2007 I believe it was. They didn't let us wander around but we did walk up the main set of steps from the waterfront to the top of Santa Ana hill, and it seemed pretty nice. Not wealthy by any means but it didn't seem dangerous or overly slum-like, I thought it looked quite charming with all the colourful houses. The stairway looked pretty new and attractive, and there were lots of small shops selling ice cream to tourists.
He lived there in the 90s, when that area wasn't colorful at all, just the same bleached boards and rusty sheet metal as any other slum. But now, just look at it... For what it's worth, another Guayaquil landmark that used to be too dangerous to visit, but which is a popular tourist attraction now, is the central cemetery. Guayaquil seems to be making a real effort to improve itself.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Phoenix is hotter than Tucson for sure (lower elevation).

This thread’s criterion is average daily temp, though. Which means that desert cities that are furnaces during the day could rank “cooler” due to their nights than low-elevation high-humidity cities like those in the Lower RGV of Texas.

(I am not looking them up so just guessing.)

Another deduction: Since San Antonio appeared already, surely Austin isn’t far behind.
Well, the hottest city is either Austin or Vegas, on the basis of the 1.5 million urban area comment from before. I definitely had the daily mean temp measurement and how that interacts with humidity in my mind when I wrote my comment, as well as the fact that San Antonio just appeared a few comments ago.

I wasn’t aware Tucson was at a higher elevation, so that’s an easy switch.

San Antonio is also at a higher elevation than Austin and lacks the humidity driver of a major river, and the same goes for Austin vis-a-vis Dallas: Dallas is generally at a lower elevation and the Trinity is much larger and more meandering than the Colorado (although the highland lake system may counteract this).

Houston has already appeared, likely due to cool ocean currents that none of the other cities lack.

Whereas El Paso is dry and benefits from cool evenings and nights, McAllen is far enough away from the ocean to not get the benefit of the cool ocean currents either, and although it is technically in a semi-arid climate, its summers are long, hot, humid and unforgiving.

I just cannot imagine any reality where McAllen is not the hottest city in Texas.

Which leaves Las Vegas as the hottest city in the United States.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

Phoenix feels hotter than Vegas for sure. And Las Vegas is nearly 1000 feet higher in elevation than Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:52 PM
你的媽媽

Pretty sure Phoenix is hotter than Las Vegas.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 6:45 PM

Looks like the two Latin America cities left are both Mexico:

Hermosillo and Mexicali.

Mexicali might be the hottest city in the Americas: the sea level contour passes right through the city.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Well, the hottest city is either Austin or Vegas, on the basis of the 1.5 million urban area comment from before. I definitely had the daily mean temp measurement and how that interacts with humidity in my mind when I wrote my comment, as well as the fact that San Antonio just appeared a few comments ago.

I wasn’t aware Tucson was at a higher elevation, so that’s an easy switch.

San Antonio is also at a higher elevation than Austin and lacks the humidity driver of a major river, and the same goes for Austin vis-a-vis Dallas: Dallas is generally at a lower elevation and the Trinity is much larger and more meandering than the Colorado (although the highland lake system may counteract this).

Houston has already appeared, likely due to cool ocean currents that none of the other cities lack.

Whereas El Paso is dry and benefits from cool evenings and nights, McAllen is far enough away from the ocean to not get the benefit of the cool ocean currents either, and although it is technically in a semi-arid climate, its summers are long, hot, humid and unforgiving.

I just cannot imagine any reality where McAllen is not the hottest city in Texas.

The 1.5M urban area comment was regarding the list’s #1 city, which is almost certainly not in the US.

For “hottest summer afternoons”, Phoenix (or Yuma if we loosen the population requirement). For this thread’s metric, I’d bet on McAllen. I’ve never been to the extreme south of Texas, but I’ve been to Veracruz, it’s a humid furnace and nights aren’t cool.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The 1.5M urban area comment was regarding the list’s #1 city, which is almost certainly not in the US.

For “hottest summer afternoons”, Phoenix (or Yuma if we loosen the population requirement). For this thread’s metric, I’d bet on McAllen. I’ve never been to the extreme south of Texas, but I’ve been to Veracruz, it’s a humid furnace and nights aren’t cool.
Thank you for pointing this out. Oops!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions