HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 7:43 PM
Pay it Forward

Ranking: 10 Most Valuable Major Interstate Highways, 2022

This doesn't include any arterials like the 405 or the 110, but rather just the major Interstates themselves.

Most Valuable Major Interstate Highways, 2022
1 Interstate 80....$63.9B
2 Interstate 70....$49.4B
3 Interstate 75....$49.3B
4 Interstate 10....$47.4B
5 Interstate 90....$46.7B
6 Interstate 95....$38.5B
7 Interstate 5......$32.5B
8 Interstate 35....$28.0B
9 Interstate 40....$14.7B
10 Interstate 15..$10.9B

*Ranked by value of trade-related activity generated annually

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...gn=wp_business

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 7:52 PM

I-80 was obvious.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 8:54 PM

Color me surprised as I would have assumed I-95 given that it runs through the NE megalopolis down to Miami.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 10:28 PM
E pluribus unum

So, pretty much every interstate that runs coast to coast (I-40 and I-70 are the outliers) is valuable? Who knew?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 10:32 PM

"On a mile-for-mile basis, the most valuable major highway is I-75, which runs from Sault Ste. Marie in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula all the way down to the southern reaches of America’s Lower Peninsula, also known as the state of Florida." ($28 million per mile). I used to travel on I-75 frequently and going into the downtown connector in Atlanta where I-75 and I-85 combine is an unpleasant experience with so many cars.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 11:50 AM

Before clicking on the thread, I thought it was about real estate. Then I imagined the urban ones that we were discussing on the removal freeway thread.

The ones in San Francisco, for instance, would creater new real estate worth billions.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Color me surprised as I would have assumed I-95 given that it runs through the NE megalopolis down to Miami.
I-80 touches NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Looking at the map of I-80, From the Scranton Wilkes-Barre area to Gary, Indiana, 80 is the ultimate rust belt highway. It goes through a ton of old school places.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Looking at the map of I-80, From the Scranton Wilkes-Barre area to Gary, Indiana, 80 is the ultimate rust belt highway. It goes through a ton of old school places.
Yeah, maybe. It is probably the most strategically routed interstate in the U.S. I-80 touches NYC*, Chicago**, SF, SLC, and runs within 100 miles of Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and a bunch of midsize towns. That's why it's such an attractive road for tolling. Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois toll it. Pennsylvania tried to toll it but the plan got rejected by the feds according to Wikipedia. It also routes into/over a number of tolled crossings such as the George Washington Bridge (NYC), Delaware Water Gap (PA/NJ border), and the Bay Bridge (SF).

*It technically doesn't enter NYC, since it merges with I-95 on the approach to the GWB and the I-80 designation terminates.
**Also doesn't enter Chicago, but loops around it through southern suburbs.

Last edited by iheartthed; Jul 16, 2022 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 5:26 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Yeah, maybe. It is probably the most strategically routed interstate in the U.S. I-80 touches NYC*, Chicago, SF, SLC, and runs within 100 miles of Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and a bunch of midsize towns. That's why it's such an attractive road for tolling. Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois toll it. Pennsylvania tried to toll it but the plan got rejected by the feds according to Wikipedia. It also routes into/over a number of tolled crossings such as the George Washington Bridge (NYC), Delaware Water Gap (PA/NJ border), and the Bay Bridge (SF).

*It technically doesn't enter NYC, since it merges with I-95 on the approach to the GWB and the I-80 designation terminates.
It also doesn't enter Chicago at all, but it gets close enough...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
It also doesn't enter Chicago at all, but it gets close enough...
Thanks. Corrected my post.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 5:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I wonder how they parse out the "value" of I-80 and I-90 (both in the top 5) because they share the longest route concurrency of the interstate system at roughly 265 miles from just outside Cleveland to just outside Chicago. This is because the great lakes "force" I-90 to bend southward down to I-80's latitude and run with it to get around the lakes.

Quote:
. That's why it's such an attractive road for tolling. Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois toll it.
Only a short 5 mile stretch of I-80 in IL is tolled where it runs concurrently with the tristate tollway (I-294) in the south burbs. I think the through-route fare for a car over that stretch is $0.85.

The other 158 miles of I-80 in Illinois are free.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 5:53 PM

On a per mile basis, I-40 is likely close to the top. Pretty much traffic from the Midwest and Northeast to SoCal passes there, and unlike others (I-10, I-80) it only starts in the middle of the continent.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I wonder how they parse out the "value" of I-80 and I-90 (both in the top 5) because they share the longest route concurrency of the interstate system at roughly 265 miles from just outside Cleveland to just outside Chicago. This is because the great lakes "force" I-90 to bend southward down to I-80's latitude and run with it to get around the lakes.

Only a short 5 mile stretch of I-80 in IL is tolled where it runs concurrently with the tristate tollway (I-294) in the south burbs. I think the through-route fare for a car over that stretch is $0.85.

The other 158 miles of I-80 in Illinois are free.
With slightly more autistic planners, we’d have an I-90 crossing lakes Erie and Michigan on pretty awesome bridges

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
With slightly more autistic planners, we’d have an I-90 crossing lakes Erie and Michigan on pretty awesome bridges
Or through the world's longest tunnels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
This is because the great lakes "force" I-90 to bend southward down to I-80's latitude and run with it to get around the lakes.
I wonder if I-94 would even exist if the southwest Ontario peninsula was part of the U.S. Following the logical routing, I-90 would run straight from Buffalo to Port Huron, and then likely take I-94's route down to Detroit and over to Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
On a per mile basis, I-40 is likely close to the top. Pretty much traffic from the Midwest and Northeast to SoCal passes there, and unlike others (I-10, I-80) it only starts in the middle of the continent.
I-40 is one of the lowest on the list in the OP's article at $5.8 million per mile. I-75 is the highest at $28 million per mile. #2 is I-70 at $23.8 million per mile. #3 is I-5 at $23.5 million per mile.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 7:36 PM

Surprised I-20 did not make the list.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 12:13 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I-70 is a surprise, especially since it dead-ends at a mountain in Utah and you split off for Vegas or SLC (or continue on Highway 50 weaving your way through the basin-and-range and ufos for California which Ive done). I think it may be the only east-west interstate I’ve driven end to end (edit: I-64, too…and wait the rte 66 rump I-44 ). The start of I-70 is just as weird - randomly on the edge of Baltimore at parking lot or something- inthink due to a successful anti-urban freeway protest.

West of St. Louis the interstate coverage drops off so on a per-mile basis they seem to handle more freight. I-70 is way crazier with tractor trailers west of St. Louis than east since I-64 ends.

Last edited by Centropolis; Jul 17, 2022 at 12:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 11:41 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
We all know it's SLC propping it up, tho.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 2:18 PM

I wonder what the "least valuable" 2-digit (so not a short spur route) Interstate highway is.

I haven't traveled across much of the system, but I remember there were some routes in Vermont/New Hampshire and Upstate NY that basically travel from nowhere to nowhere.

I-86 through Corning, Binghamton, etc. doesn't feel like it did much to lift the economy of those places.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions