HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Column: How Venice Boulevard keeps South Asian culture alive in Los Angeles

"More South Asians live in Artesia and Woodland Hills, but for many immigrants, Venice Boulevard was their first stop."

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...513-story.html
I'm curious why you linked to a 2+ year old article and map using statistics from 2013-2017. None of this is new, nor is it even from the 2020 Census.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 4:27 AM

I find it of interest as I know little of L.A.'s South Asian community.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 12:54 PM

Yeah, it's interesting stuff. The LA/OC South Asian community is a bit under-the-radar.

I was looking at the Central Jersey corridor of South Asian communities (basically the stretch along Route 1/Northeast Corridor rail line between Staten Island and Trenton), and there will likely be a large contiguous majority South Asian geography in the near future.

The towns are 30-50% Asian, but the public school enrollment in some public school districts is now 70-90% Asian. Closer to 90% for the earlier grades. And the East Asian community in these towns isn't particularly large.

So places like Edison, North/South Brunswick, Plainsboro and West Windsor are probably on the cusp of forming one of the largest contiguous South Asian concentrations anywhere in the western world. And almost uniformly upper middle class and professional. Will probably be as Indian as the San Gabriel Valley is Chinese.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, it's interesting stuff. The LA/OC South Asian community is a bit under-the-radar.

I was looking at the Central Jersey corridor of South Asian communities (basically the stretch along Route 1/Northeast Corridor rail line between Staten Island and Trenton), and there will likely be a large contiguous majority South Asian geography in the near future.

The towns are 30-50% Asian, but the public school enrollment in some public school districts is now 70-90% Asian. Closer to 90% for the earlier grades. And the East Asian community in these towns isn't particularly large.

So places like Edison, North/South Brunswick, Plainsboro and West Windsor are probably on the cusp of forming one of the largest contiguous South Asian concentrations anywhere in the western world. And almost uniformly upper middle class and professional. Will probably be as Indian as the San Gabriel Valley is Chinese.
This trend is also starting to form in pockets of the western suburbs of Philadelphia. There are certain high performing public school districts with a focus on STEM that have become magnets for upper middle class Asian families, particularly Indian and Chinese families. But there are also not so insignificant numbers of professional Nigerians moving into these suburbs as well.

This is particularly the case in the Downingtown and West Chester School Districts in Chester County (which between them have 6 large high schools and something like 30 feeder elementary schools) and the Garnet Valley School District in Delaware County. It's been interesting to watch.

Here, the movement seems to be driven by professionals from the Pharmaceutical Industry, FinTech, and Enterprise Systems. A lot of workers have been moving from NYC to work at the big bank's offices in Wilmington Delaware. All of the majors have facilities in Wilmington, including JP Morgan Chase, Capital One, Citi, Barclays and even Black Rock. Many choose to live in PA instead of Delaware because the public schools in the western suburbs are nearly uniformly excellent throughout the entire region. SAP is also headquartered in the western suburbs and in my professional experience, knowledge in coding and implementation of enterprise architecture (SAP, Oracle, JDE, Microsoft Dynamics), perhaps because it is a less sexy part of the stack of companies for pedigreed American tech graduates, has a steady pipeline of immigrants coming from India to support, as every single major company uses these systems.

The towns in the Downingtown and Garnet Valley School districts are I'd say 25-50% Asian now and the elementary school population is 50+% Asian.

On an interesting side note, there are also increasing numbers of professional West African immigrants in Philly's affluent Western Suburbs. Primarily Nigerian but also Sengalese, Ghanian, and Liberian. Unlike the South Asians who primarily work in tech, these immigrants tend to be doctors, pharmacists, scientists, and nurses (and nurse practitioners), from what I can gather.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
(...)

Japanese

Honolulu 190,000
Los Angeles 177,000
San Francisco 66,000
New York 56,000
Seattle 53,000
San Jose, CA 37,000
San Diego 35,000
Sacramento, CA 25,000
Chicago 24,000
Washington 22,000

(...)
Brazil has the largest Japanese diaspora in the World (just above 1 million), but it's heavily centered in specific parts of São Paulo state and northern Paraná state.

São Paulo: 350,000
Londrina: 30,000
Curitiba: 25,000
Maringá: 20,000

Other Asian groups are much smaller, they're recent arrivals and tend to be concentrated mostly in São Paulo. Chinese and Koreans (combined) are not that far away to supplant Japanese in São Paulo metro area. Liberdade, the old Japanese district, is heavily Chinese and Korean these days.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:

It’s extending up to Somorset and Hudson county too. Not just ending at Staten Island. Agree - that whole region will be approaching South Asian plurality within a decade or two

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:09 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Brazil has the largest Japanese diaspora in the World (just above 1 million), but it's heavily centered in specific parts of São Paulo state and northern Paraná state.

São Paulo: 350,000
Londrina: 30,000
Curitiba: 25,000
Maringá: 20,000

Other Asian groups are much smaller, they're recent arrivals and tend to be concentrated mostly in São Paulo. Chinese and Koreans (combined) are not that far away to supplant Japanese in São Paulo metro area. Liberdade, the old Japanese district, is heavily Chinese and Korean these days.
How's the Vietnamese population in Brazil? I remember one of the Brazilian forumers mentioning he's never had Vietnamese food before, but he does have access to a lot of Japanese food.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Brazil has the largest Japanese diaspora in the World (just above 1 million)

Interesting. I learned something today:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilians

In one article we see how Brazil opened to Asian immigration in the 1900s when the United States and Australia did not allow it, but then the contradiction of today's Japanese not accepting those who have moved back to Japan from Brazil as real Japanese.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
How's the Vietnamese population in Brazil? I remember one of the Brazilian forumers mentioning he's never had Vietnamese food before, but he does have access to a lot of Japanese food.
I believe it’s non existent.

I know, however, three Vietnamese places. Bia Hoi (https://instagram.com/biahoisp?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=) is three blocks away from my apartment and it’s great. It’s a mix of bar and restaurant, focused on Northern Vietnam cuisine. The owners went to Vietnam to study cooking, something like that.

Back in Londrina there are two nice Thai restaurants/bars, same story, owners studying cooking there. One of them serves a couple of Vietnamese dishes.

Vietnamese food made by immigrants, I only had in Berlin. I stayed in Nollendorfplatz and there were several Vietnamese places there.

————————————

Japanese food is mainstream in São Paulo. You’ll find from all prices and pockets. Older and middle-aged Japanese Brazilians use to be very demanding though, which is good. If you have such friends, you’ll always have a great experience.

Chinese and Korean food are still very ethnic as they’re recent arrivals. It’s nice to see the contrast of Chinese restaurants, where the Chinese staff is usually comically rude and the traditional Japanese places where everybody is always incredibly polite.

Chinese-American fast food cuisine is relatively common in most mid sized cities for a long time and there is no connection with the Chinese immigration.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I'm curious why you linked to a 2+ year old article and map using statistics from 2013-2017. None of this is new, nor is it even from the 2020 Census.

I was not able to find a map with 2020 census data. It would be interesting to see if there has been a major shift since then.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:

LA's South Asian community is smaller compared to other metros but seems to be rapidly growing.

There is a Little India in Artesia and more modest Indian communities in Irvine, Torrance, Culver City, Woodland Hills, and Alhambra. Also a small Bangladeshi community in Koreatown, Sri Lankan in West Covina, and Nepalis and Pakistanis dispersed in various areas.

I don't think even the Silicon Valley will become a continuous South Asian region that Central New Jersey will since it is so tech focused and tech will likely decentralize with remote work.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 10:59 PM

As per what seems to be the established trend of Vietnamese tending to support Republicans, most other Asians don't.

From The Conversation, September 14, 2020.

Link: https://theconversation.com/asian-am...to-blue-145577

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jul 21, 2022 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 6:16 PM

https://localnewsmatters.org/2022/08...-the-bay-area/

"The Bay Area is also home to other South Asian communities, with Pakistani communities in Fremont and East Bay cities like San Ramon, Dublin and Pleasanton. Overall, Pakistani residents make up a relatively small share of the AAPI population in the region at 1 percent and make up a similar share across several counties including Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo and Santa Clara.

There are Nepalese communities in Sunnyvale, Berkeley and El Cerrito, and Sri Lankans live in Antioch. Small Bangladeshi communities live in Concord, Livermore and Oakland."

Indian populations are concentrated in Silicon Valley and East Bay cities like Fremont and Dublin, according to U.S. Census data from 2019. (Image via Bay Area Equity Atlas)

https://localnewsmatters.org/2022/08...-the-bay-area/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 8:21 AM

Didn't realize that Scarsdale is 25% Asian. Makes sense.

https://www.aafederation.org/researc...form-new-york/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 2:49 PM

Based on that report, NYC will possibly be more Asian than Black by the next decennial Census. For the NYC public schools, that threshold is probably happening very shortly.

I didn't know Scarsdale was 25% Asian, but I suppose it makes sense, in that the wealthy, secular Jewish suburbs of North America are steadily becoming less Jewish. There's no Asian enclave in Westchester, but the closest equivalent is around Central Park Ave., near Scarsdale, which has some Asian supermarkets and specialty stores. If an enclave develops, it will be there.

Northern Nassau County (LI) is demographically similar to southern/central Westchester, and secular Jewish towns are also steadily growing more Asian. This makes more sense, though, as Nassau borders heavily Asian areas of Queens, and that Asian population has been growing eastward. Northern Nassau probably has majority or plurality Asian tracts at this point, and is further along in demographic change. A number of school districts are majority Asian.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 8:11 PM

Here's an interesting find. According to the 2021 ACS, Indian Americans are the largest Asian subgroup.

Indian 4,403,323
Chinese 4,360,466
Filipino 2,960,811
Vietnamese 1,896,890
Korean 1,445,315
Japanese 742,549
Other Asian 3,349,324

I wish they didn't lump all the other South Asian and East Asian nationalities under "other Asian" though.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 8:36 PM

Correction. The figures I posted are for single responses only. Indian is the largest single response but Chinese is the largest with multiple responses included. South Asian immigration tilts more recent than Chinese and Filipino, and there are greater religious/cultural barriers to intermarriage in South Asian than East Asian cultures.

From Wikipedia (2020):

Chinese 5,143,982
Indian 4,506,308
Filipino 4,089,570
Vietnamese 2,162,610
Korean 1,894,131
Japanese 1,542,195

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 8:46 PM

Using the "Canadian" groupings:

South Asian 5,483,057
Chinese 5,357,756
Filipino 4,089,570
Southeast Asian 3,562,956
Korean 1,894,131
Japanese 1,542,195

Last edited by Docere; Nov 6, 2022 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Using the "Canadian" groupings:

South Asian 5,483,057
Chinese 5,357,756
Filipino 4,089,570
Southeast Asian 3,562,956
Korean 1,894,131
Japanese 1,542,195
Can you please pull the “Canadian” groupings for say top 5 US metros and City proper based on 2021 ACS? I’ve tried playing around with that site to no avail. Cheers!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 2:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by proghousehead View Post
It’s extending up to Somorset and Hudson county too. Not just ending at Staten Island. Agree - that whole region will be approaching South Asian plurality within a decade or two
actually it doesnt end in staten. we have sri lankan and i notice a decent filipino community too, for example on the north shore. also, a couple new asian grocerys on the nw end. i would say overall asian is slowly gaining some ground here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions