HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 10:10 PM

7/20/22

We are getting there.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:51 AM

The glass / facade paneling is tragically blasé, especially at this vantage point aka the western terminal view down the main branch of one of the most famous urban rivers in the entire world. And they just put a 840ft blue box at the end.

NYC may have more volume of blue boxes (Hudson Yards, etc.) but damn we're butchering some top tier real estate potential here.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
The glass / facade paneling is tragically blasé, especially at this vantage point aka the western terminal view down the main branch of one of the most famous urban rivers in the entire world. And they just put a 840ft blue box at the end.

NYC may have more volume of blue boxes (Hudson Yards, etc.) but damn we're butchering some top tier real estate potential here.
Yes true, but a lot of buildings are pretty underwhelming in midday sun (especially blue glass). The Willis tower is kind of a monolithic gray blob as well from a distance itself in the sun. This will look marginally better when they get some detailing white strips on the top and I think from renders there may be a little detailing extending a bit lower on the west face. This building will mostly be photo'd at dusk and night via views from the south and east.

PS - At least the louvers look good!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:40 PM

Near the top, are those two unglazed "cut-outs" on the southern corners terraces? Wonder if that's the "special" design feature for the K&E floor? That same floor has taller ceilings as well.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post

I agree, which is why I am waiting to see how the final nighttime product looks with crown lighting. If the nighttime view offers a beautiful well lit top at the end of the river at night, I will forgive the blah blue daytime nature.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:17 PM

We always knew it was going to be a blue box, which is fine I guess. I am disappointed by the lack of detailing -- especially when viewed next to the white fins on WPE. This tower was designed by accountants first, architects second.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 9:46 PM

This location demands the best Chicago could come up wtih unfortunatly this building is what happens when you make "modest" plans... I would say there is no other site in this city that is as good as this one for a statement building

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
This location demands the best Chicago could come up wtih unfortunatly this building is what happens when you make "modest" plans... I would say there is no other site in this city that is as good as this one for a statement building
On some level I agree. More positively, though, think of it like putting a mirror at the end of a long hallway. It's cheaper than a piece of art, but also not the worst possible use of space.

In the middle of the day it tends to look pretty boring, but summer mornings and evenings, when the sun is due east and west, create some pretty interesting views.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 10:29 PM

Might get some disagreement but...It would be fire if they put some LED installation on the side of the building facing the river. Like Art on the Mart. This is such a focal and important area in the river, I really hope they go all out with the lighting

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Might get some disagreement but...It would be fire if they put some LED installation on the side of the building facing the river. Like Art on the Mart. This is such a focal and important area in the river, I really hope they go all out with the lighting
Or at least get some of this going on

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 12:16 AM

I wish they went with the old design because of the spire. It's been such a long time since we had a new building with a spire since Trump Tower I think.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 1:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Dennis_Rodkin

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
If I was a multi-billionaire, I might build a $1bn project that exhibited the finest architecture because I wouldn't be interested in getting a return on my investment in my lifetime and would have money to burn.

It cracks me up about all of these people throwing off these remarks about how "underwhelming" a building is and why "doesn't someone make a developer, whose ONLY business is to make as much $$$ as possible, build what I WANT".

At least I preface my statements with "If I had the money, I would ...." instead of implying that developers become charities and build, not the nicest architecture, but what THEY (the speaker) thinks is "nice".

This building is beautiful and will make for a stunning presence at the confluence. Why can't people just be grateful that we have something that isn't what its currently now hiding to its north?

The developer is building what makes them the most money - they are a for-profit entity. Sorry, them's the breaks. If you want to realize your dreams, make several $blns in tech and "donate" to the public posterity like people used to do (and really don't any more).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:38 AM

Given that developers' business is to build large, long-term structures that are highly visible to the city's residents, workers, & visitors, public opinion is part of the game. Most (none?) of us will likely be around by the time these towers come down and are hopefully replaced with something better. So for the rest of our lives these glass slabs will sit here, at arguably the perfect location for a statement piece.

If Hines wanted to be strictly profit-focused, they didn't need to purchase *the prime* riverfront lot to put up 3 uninspired and VE'd rectangles. There's plenty of land in Chicago to build utilitarian commercial/residential towers, and we'll gladly take them. But not here.

Also before anyone comments about the site being a logistical mess or fuckin Holiday Inn view corridors I don't give a shit it's still a disappointment.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 11:35 AM

Really it just needs a 150' spire to make it a supertall so we can call it a day.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 12:52 PM

This building only adds to the "Sunset Wall" that is ever growing looking from the west from the likes of BoA, 150,Wolfpoint and now SF. Almost feels like they are trying to hold back Kong(Sears)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 6:03 PM

From the boat...

From the 'L'

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 6:22 PM
1st Ward

Nice pics, BVic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Really it just needs a 150' spire to make it a supertall so we can call it a day.
Looking at Salesforce from the south, it really looks like its begging for one.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 5:45 AM

worth checking out this thread if you haven't seen this guys photos from a few weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
IMG_1266 by Ethan Kocjan, on Flickr

IMG_1285 by Ethan Kocjan, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 3:41 AM

7/29/22 - From the brown line

7/10/22

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction