HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
I have zero problems with Home Depot. I have a problem with the suburban format of stores they choose to go with.

Look at the Home Depot in Lincoln Park. Or the one in Manhattan on W 23rd. st. Both are urban format Home Depot's that face the street with no surface lot and has parking in a garage hidden from the street.
picturing a contractor buying 100 sheets of drywall from that Lincoln Park location is somewhat amusing....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
picturing a contractor buying 100 sheets of drywall from that Lincoln Park location is somewhat amusing....
Haha, I know right? And I'm speaking as someone who doesn't own a car but has rented a truck before to pick up lumber. No way you're gonna street park that and carry hundreds of pounds of building material down the block or navigate up a steep parking garage. I know this because I've tried.

The Lincoln Park or Manhattan stores are rare exceptions. There's enough population density where they can justify a lite store format to be profitable Their building material section is like the size of my condo and is for the smallest of remodeling projects.

Please no one suggest curbside pickup. I wouldn't trust anyone who would just deliver a warped stack of 2 x 4's.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 5:23 AM

That South Loop Home Depot is always packed with people. The area is a substantive retail corridor for a large part of the Chinatown, Pilsen, Bridgeport, Little Village, and South Loop. I'm there often. Hardly a no-man's-land.

It also does a fantastic job of blending the suburban footprint, often associated with Home Depot stores, with rooftop parking. The shop straddles the street offer tons of parking, yet avoids creating "Greyfield Surface Making Lot." Win/Win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
Even the one down in that weird no-mans land area near the south loop has a better street front presence with only a curbside pick up area and parking on the rooftop. Not that anyone would ever walk around down there but...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 2:30 PM
Plenary pleasures.

New Lincoln Yards rendering found on a LinkedIn page:

I believe the high-rise designs are just placeholder/massing models. I don't think those designs will be finalized until those later project phases get closer to reality.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 3:18 PM
BANNED

^If 1/4th of that actually gets built it will be a gamechanger.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 4:15 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Well, all of the low and mid-rise buildings in the foreground are already either under construction (the one at the bottom), or approved or actively planned as part of the current project phases, so it is well on its way, for sure.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
I know you are speaking in hyperbole, but if only 1/4 gets built then it will be a shit outcome, unable to support any decent retail and the developer will probably scale back on parks and amenities and fill in with townhomes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 7:12 PM
The City

I don't know, guys, the whole layout seems too sterile.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 8:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

Too many damn trees is my takeaway.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
"sterile" >> the wasteland of warehouses that was there before. I 100% support this project and anticipating the types of retail that will enter this area. The whole Elston/Clybourn corridor needs this treatment. I understand land near the river wasn't valuable in the past but its valuable now.

Plus this creates a whole nother skyline for the NW side. Remember those high rises are just placeholder designs.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Everything but the steelyard portion is just filler, it'll be much better once actually designed.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:31 AM

Quote:
A little but it's still much better than what's there today. We were in this area the last 3 weekends and then some for furniture shopping for our upcoming new place. Each time we'd pass this site it's just hard to ignore how sparse and a wasteland 75% of it is now.

I agree with the poster who said even if 1/4 of that is built it's a gamechanger. I think it will be anyway and it'll cause a whole flood of investment there if successful.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:17 PM

I guess that rendering is.... fine? I don't know it seems so derivative at this point. shiny glass midrises with green roofs and a river walk yadda yada yadda kinda just looks like the west loop stuff

dont get me wrong, I'm all for it, and will I benefit greatly from it getting built, its just not exciting anymore

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
I guess that rendering is.... fine? I don't know it seems so derivative at this point. shiny glass midrises with green roofs and a river walk yadda yada yadda kinda just looks like the west loop stuff

dont get me wrong, I'm all for it, and will I benefit greatly from it getting built, its just not exciting anymore
I agree. It's nice to get some density in this area but I don't see this becoming a popular hub for anyone that doesn't work or live there. It's a mixed-use Lakeshore East.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:27 PM

The way I look at this project is a way to help bridge the neighborhoods to the East and the ones to the west of the Kennedy. Having lived in Logan Sq. for a month now, this area is almost a buffer between LP/LV and Logan Sq., Wicker Park. That's my take at least.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 4:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I agree. It's nice to get some density in this area but I don't see this becoming a popular hub for anyone that doesn't work or live there. It's a mixed-use Lakeshore East.
The concert venue should bring people in at night, and the sports fields should bring in families and beer leagues. If Sterling Bay opens any restaurants themselves via Four Corners Group, those tend to target a younger partying crowd.

Don't get the Lakeshore East comparison, which is exclusively a bedroom community and deliberately has no entertainment uses.

I'm still disappointed in the poor transit access for Lincoln Yards, but the road access should be pretty good after full build-out and the 606 is like an expressway funneling joggers and cyclists into LY.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm still disappointed in the poor transit access for Lincoln Yards, but the road access should be pretty good after full build-out and the 606 is like an expressway funneling joggers and cyclists into LY.
Is the Kingsbury rail r.o.w. still in play? If I recall correctly running a surface line to Northwetern and Union stations on an existing belt line was supposed to provide transit access to the Yards.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The concert venue should bring people in at night, and the sports fields should bring in families and beer leagues. If Sterling Bay opens any restaurants themselves via Four Corners Group, those tend to target a younger partying crowd.
sounds about as exciting as Rosemont

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 9:49 PM
TL;DR

^ Like I said a few posts ago, it won't be everyone's cup of tea but that doesn't mean it won't be lively or successful. Plenty of people like going to Rosemont, I don't feel the need to sneer at them. I think a better comparison for LY is Gallagher Way at Wrigley - still very normie white Big Ten culture but at least the urban design is decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
Is the Kingsbury rail r.o.w. still in play? If I recall correctly running a surface line to Northwetern and Union stations on an existing belt line was supposed to provide transit access to the Yards.
Haven't heard anything about the North Branch Transitway (per se) in a few years so I'm guessing it'll end up on the shelf like so many other transit plans. It's pretty clear that this, like many other things, was a Rahm priority that Lightfoot doesn't care about.

However, the city did reach an agreement in 2020 with Chicago Terminal Railroad for an "interim trail use" and approved by the Feds. Technically it applies to the whole corridor, but more likely we will only see a trail on the east-west bit parallel to Cortland which will become the 606 extension. Sterling Bay has agreed to build and maintain this part of the trail on behalf of the city so there is very much money behind it.

The longer north-south bit through General Iron site and Goose Island is in limbo. Parts of the line run through private property and those owners would very much like the freedom to develop their land without a rail track through the middle. The law allows the ROW to be restored for rail service or trails, but a busway is neither of those things and might not legally be allowed without consent from the landowners.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 10:51 PM

This is a gaming changing development ...for Atlanta.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development