HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The sickest I have ever been in my life was with either strep or mono, and another time with a viral stomach flu. Both within the last 10 years

I guess the time that I caught a flu like illness in India when I was 14 was another one
I actually had strep three weeks before I caught Covid (Omni) in Mexico, and my first thought was I would take that bout of Covid 5 times in a row over having strep. That being said, I'm not vaccinated against strep.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:15 PM
Resu Deretsiger

It seems that if people personally experienced symptoms that were mild, or not as bad as a previous infection, they are less likely to support restrictions. Makes sense, but not a good case for public health policy.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The sickest I have ever been in my life was with either strep or mono, and another time with a viral stomach flu. Both within the last 10 years

I guess the time that I caught a flu like illness in India when I was 14 was another one
Yes the sickest I ever felt was also probably strep. Stomach virus' are awful but those are usually waves of awfulness with waves of not-so-awfulness. Strep and other infections just leaving you feeling constantly awful for days at a time. I had this upper respiratory infection that gave me a fever that lasted like 8 days about 10 years ago. That was awful.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 2:12 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
A family member in the Chicago-area has COVID-19 and is on oxygen, but not a ventilator. He gave a ride to a friend who was sick and now all five people in his household have it, but he is the only one in the hospital. I'm guessing he is around 45-50 years old, with pre-existing conditions? Everyone in his house was careful, wearing masks and avoiding big crowds. He wasn't vaccinated and was concerned the vaccines weren't tested enough to know if they are safe. Yes, after a year! They are safe! Get vaccinated!

Others in the family are very angry at him for not getting vaccinated.
Someone else in that same multi-generational household is now in the hospital with COVID-19. She was taken by ambulance and can't talk. We can only talk to her through text message. And we discovered she wasn't vaccinated, but did mask (2-layer surgical mask), avoided big crowds, and took advantage of delivery services to stay safe. Two others in the household seem to be doing well and decided to move-out. Someone else in the household is fine (no symptoms), but is now alone. So we know who is vaccinated. Potentially three out of five are vaccinated? This latest variant finds the unvaccinated. In the past, masking and avoiding crowds may have helped people to avoid COVID-19, but I think now only vaccination works. Get vaccinated!

Again, we are still able to communicate with her through text message. I still remember her game nights, movie collection, and cooking. She can cook anything. In a multi-generational household, there seems to be enough food for an entire city block. And usually there are always people showing-up (family, friends, neighbors) to eat and talk, staying a few hours before returning to their homes. I haven't been up there in a few years. It's a good reminder to spend more time with our family and friends.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 3:50 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Someone else in that same multi-generational household is now in the hospital with COVID-19. She was taken by ambulance and can't talk. We can only talk to her through text message. And we discovered she wasn't vaccinated, but did mask (2-layer surgical mask), avoided big crowds, and took advantage of delivery services to stay safe. Two others in the household seem to be doing well and decided to move-out. Someone else in the household is fine (no symptoms), but is now alone. So we know who is vaccinated. Potentially three out of five are vaccinated? This latest variant finds the unvaccinated. In the past, masking and avoiding crowds may have helped people to avoid COVID-19, but I think now only vaccination works. Get vaccinated!

Again, we are still able to communicate with her through text message. I still remember her game nights, movie collection, and cooking. She can cook anything. In a multi-generational household, there seems to be enough food for an entire city block. And usually there are always people showing-up (family, friends, neighbors) to eat and talk, staying a few hours before returning to their homes. I haven't been up there in a few years. It's a good reminder to spend more time with our family and friends.
Really sorry to hear that, hope she will recover.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:36 AM

Right, because vaccines work but masks are almost pointless.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 9:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Right, because vaccines work but masks are almost pointless.
Masks for the large part are a political statement. Older/sick people wearing an N95 makes sense (as they should) but a healthy 20 or 30 something wearing a cloth mask out for a jog is pure lunacy and no doubt predicated on factors beyond science.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:12 PM

how many times are the same people going to say the same thing over and over?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Masks for the large part are a political statement. Older/sick people wearing an N95 makes sense (as they should) but a healthy 20 or 30 something wearing a cloth mask out for a jog is pure lunacy and no doubt predicated on factors beyond science.
I just wore my mask during my entire walk to Best Buy and back because it keeps my face warm.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:21 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Don't say that about your fellow Texans...
They are virtuous for wearing their masks MORE than Californians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I just wore my mask during my entire walk to Best Buy and back because it keeps my face warm.
The people not wearing their mask for a political statement are giving me looks for wearing a mask (KN-95) in an antivaxxer area. JManc gave me the idea!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 10:23 PM
BANNED

My wife had a coworker test positive for Covid on Friday. He has minor symptoms and is taking care of himself at home. My fully vaccinated wife has not been asked to take a test and hasn't been asked to stay at home. These are good signs and is how we should move forward. Test when you're sick and stay at home if you're sick. Otherwise, live life how we all used to do it in 2019.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 10:37 PM
The City

^ Shame on you for suggesting something reasonable

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 10:43 PM

The omicron wave in NYC is just about over. The Buffalo area is the state's hotspot with Erie County having almost as many cases per day as NYC now while having only 1/10 the number of people.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 11:02 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Don't say that about your fellow Texans...
They are virtuous for wearing their masks MORE than Californians.
Not sure where exactly you live but I think you'll find that in most major cities, mask wearing will be more prevalent versus smaller towns or rural areas. I guarantee however, that California overall is more 'virtuous' than Texas. Compliance for example, in the Bay Area is far higher than Houston. Where as shit kicker towns in CA and TX (and from my experience, NY too) are all probably about the same.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 12:38 PM
The City

How dare they?

UCSF Doctors Say It’s Time to End ‘Mindless’ Covid Rules in Open Letter to Gov. Newsom

Quote:

Four doctors, including the director of Covid response for UCSF Medical Center’s emergency department, are calling on state leaders to acknowledge the transition of Covid to an endemic disease and lift most masking policies for school-aged children.

The petition was first circulated Friday and currently has more than 9,500 signatures. It includes a strongly-worded open letter to Gov. Newsom and state public health and education leaders, and it notes that “restrictive policies … have long lost their justification as necessary for prevention of serious illness and death.”

The letter focuses on the negative effect the state’s policies have on children and teens, particularly the mental health and developmental impacts caused by social isolation and masking.

Covid-related hospitalizations in San Francisco have reached their highest point, although the 7-day average of new cases dropped from their peak earlier this month.

Dr. Jeanne Noble, an associate professor of emergency medicine at UCSF and director of Covid response for the UCSF Parnassus Emergency Department, told The Standard we are at an inflection point where public health officials should weigh how to respond once the current wave passes.

“We felt it was necessary to really put this forth as we saw the Omicron cases peak and now enter their descent,” said Noble, adding that hospitalizations have started to drop at UCSF. “Throughout this pandemic we’ve looked at our children primarily through the lens of disease control or as vectors of disease. Now, we would like to get kids first in line to enjoy the benefit of peeling back Covid restrictions.”

Other signatories of the letter include UCSF epidemiologist Dr. Vinay Prasad, UCSF surgeon and bioengineer Dr. Jarrett Moyer and Dr. Jennifer Nguyen, a pediatrician at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland.
https://sfstandard.com/public-health...to-gov-newsom/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I wore a mask all the way on the walk to drop my kids off at school this morning.

Not to virtue signal, but because it was 4 fucking degrees with a wind-chill of -10.

Maybe this outdoor masking thing ain't such a stupid idea after all.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I wore a mask all the way on the walk to drop my kids off at school this morning.

Not to virtue signal, but because it was 4 fucking degrees with a wind-chill of -10.

As someone who is against masking outdoors, the only logical solution for me is to fly to Miami so I have no need to mask outdoors.

Even if it is to prevent my face from freezing off outside in Hoth.....

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:

I do find myself keeping the mask on more in the winter. Acts as a mini ski mask, but doesn't mess up your hair if you're going on a quick walk from the office. In the summer it's miserable to try and walk around on a hot day with it on though.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:09 PM
The City

Quote:

Yes, I actually do find the masks helpful with the cold winds outdoors, and I often do the same

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I do find myself keeping the mask on more in the winter. Acts as a mini ski mask, but doesn't mess up your hair if you're going on a quick walk from the office. In the summer it's miserable to try and walk around on a hot day with it on though.
Yeah, below 40F I find it pretty comfortable to walk around with it on. Especially cloth masks. In general, people around here seem to wear them outside more when it's colder. I haven't worn a scarf since pre-pandemic partly because the mask has eliminated the need for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions