HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
First time writing to a Senator in my life. His reasoning on this is lazy at best.
I wrote to him a couple months ago when Preservation Chicago first highlighted the urgent endangered status of both buildings. The day of his Sun-Times letter publication I finally received an email response that was the stereotypical "thanks for contacting me, I value your opinion". I must be naive because I was geniunely surprised to see that he was not just indifferent to this but full on fighting on behalf of the GSA for their unjustifiable destruction.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWeb View Post
I wrote to him a couple months ago when Preservation Chicago first highlighted the urgent endangered status of both buildings. The day of his Sun-Times letter publication I finally received an email response that was the stereotypical "thanks for contacting me, I value your opinion". I must be naive because I was geniunely surprised to see that he was not just indifferent to this but full on fighting on behalf of the GSA for their unjustifiable destruction.
I think writing to lawmakers is valuable (especially physical letters), but only if it reaches the critical level where it appears to represent a non-insignificant portion of someone's constituency. I think a good amount of people have to contact whoever about the same thing, whereby you have a collective action problem. All those online petition sites tried to get around that problem with using an internet platform -- you get an increase in the visibility of a particular issue among like-minded people, so it seems to solve the problem in that way. However, the energy required to participate is too low, so they proliferate too much, tanking the value of the individual petitions and creating a perception that the medium is inconsequential. I'm sure the energy equals out either way; too few people expending a good amount to write in or too many people expending little to click a button.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I think writing to lawmakers is valuable (especially physical letters), but only if it reaches the critical level where it appears to represent a non-insignificant portion of someone's constituency. I think a good amount of people have to contact whoever about the same thing, whereby you have a collective action problem. All those online petition sites tried to get around that problem with using an internet platform -- you get an increase in the visibility of a particular issue among like-minded people, so it seems to solve the problem in that way. However, the energy required to participate is too low, so they proliferate too much, tanking the value of the individual petitions and creating a perception that the medium is inconsequential. I'm sure the energy equals out either way; too few people expending a good amount to write in or too many people expending little to click a button.
I few years back I worked with a guy whose daughter interned with a U.S. rep from Connecticut. The policy was to read ALL letters and communicate results to the rep such as 56 letters for and 23 against and also quote a few representative comments. Emails were universally ignored. The thinking was that letters require some serious effect, but that emails could be whipped off in a few minutes by cranks and the volume is overwhelming.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
^ And I love </sarcasm> how Dick talks about how the buildings are in such disrepair, when the only reason they've deteriorated is because the Feds bought them in 2005 and have neglected them
This is the same straw man Northwestern used to justify demolishing Prentice...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This is the same straw man Northwestern used to justify demolishing Prentice...
I had direct experience in that one - put in Token Ring and DEC - was an extremely robust building - with a modern layout.

My Goldberg gently weeps.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:32 PM

You know, someone in the Sears Tower could look down into the court rooms. They should demolish the Sears just to be safe

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
the reasoning behind the demo is so absurd it seems like a VEEP or parks & rec episode
Employee: "We could close the blinds, install special windows..."

Boss: "How about we just tear the buildings down?!?"

Everyone: "You're a genius boss!"

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I had direct experience in that one - put in Token Ring and DEC - was an extremely robust building - with a modern layout.

My Goldberg gently weeps.
Never a fan of this building or University Hall at UIC. Glad this Brutalistic eyesore is gone. Reminds me of Soviet architecture.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 5:44 PM

Any word on when this project will begin construction? The article is from last summer, so I was just curious for the latest details on its status.

19-Story Apartment Building On Lake Shore Drive In Lakeview Approved By Key City Panel

Image Source

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Any word on when this project will begin construction? The article is from last summer, so I was just curious for the latest details on its status.
Hopefully never. Woof.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:57 PM

1475 N. Kingsbury

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/b...75-n-kingsbury

The final phase of the Big Deahl development (27 story tower) received foundation and tower crane permits

Sorry if this was previously reported

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Hopefully never. Woof.
Consider me banned, but I kinda am rooting for this proposal. It's so rare to see anything new go up along the lake north of downtown, so I welcome this.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

19-Story Apartment Building On Lake Shore Drive In Lakeview Approved By Key City Panel

Image Source
Never would be too soon.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Why did we stop building highrises by the lakefront?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Why did we stop building highrises by the lakefront?
Short answer: NIMBYs

Long answer: stupid fucking NIMBYs

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:45 PM
The City

^ Well, we also kinda have run out of available lots on the north side. Sure there are some, but it’s pretty built out at this point.

Let’s not forget all of the lakefront construction going on in Lakeshore East as well

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Well, we also kinda have run out of available lots on the north side. Sure there are some, but it’s pretty built out at this point.

Let’s not forget all of the lakefront construction going on in Lakeshore East as well
bullshit, there's plenty of low rises and strip malls by the lakefront that can be redeveloped. The nimby's who want to live in suburbia in the city will oppose it tho.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 10:41 PM

A lakefront high-rise for me, but not for thee.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
bullshit, there's plenty of low rises and strip malls by the lakefront that can be redeveloped. The nimby's who want to live in suburbia in the city will oppose it tho.
And who says it has to be on the lake? I stayed in a short-term furnished rental from Thanksgiving until February before closing on my condo. It was a newer construction apartment building nestled on Belmont about a block away from the lake. It was short enough that it really didn't block anyone's views, but was tall enough to have niche neighborhood views. There's a Walgreens on the corner of Belmont and Broadway that could easily be put into the podium of a 15-30 story building.

Just my 2-cents.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
And who says it has to be on the lake? I stayed in a short-term furnished rental from Thanksgiving until February before closing on my condo. It was a newer construction apartment building nestled on Belmont about a block away from the lake. It was short enough that it really didn't block anyone's views, but was tall enough to have niche neighborhood views. There's a Walgreens on the corner of Belmont and Broadway that could easily be put into the podium of a 15-30 story building.

Just my 2-cents.
There’s SO much one story retail on broadway in Frankenstein 1910s buildings that have been refaced like 8 times by now. Glad there’s some residential conversion happening on broadway, but that strip needs like 5 more optima-type developments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations