HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 9:36 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
And since they claim they want to consider the Appalachia region as an option, it seems that they have plenty of cities to consider and would greatly benefit that area. Other states that they are considering, such as Idaho, Nevada, AZ and TX, are doing just fine.
Well they say they are considering Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Arizona, Texas, and Appalachia.

But most of the land in the western states is federally owned and they have a tall order on their pallet to acquire this much contiguous land in those western states. So that leaves Texas and Appalachia as the two most viable options. They will also need a massive pipeline of construction workers for this too, so they need to pick a place that has the workforce needed to make this happen.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
This smells like another Brasilia, and we all know how that experiment turned out.
Maybe but when you look at their plans, ambitions, target population of 5 million and the price tag, this is more like NEOM in Saudi Arabia.

In fact, I'm almost certain that's where they got this idea from. So many similarities. This seems like a pipedream, it would be very hard to build a NEOM in the US with the regulatory environment here. It's fairly easy in a monarchy like Saudi Arabia.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 9:45 PM

A target of 5 million people by 2040 is unrealistic but lets run with the hypothetical that it happens, then that would make this the fastest growing city in US history to go from 0 people to 5 million people in 20 years.

I'm against this project because if that target population were to be realized it would be through leeching off people from other cities, hence at their expense. Hard pass.

Last edited by N90; Sep 10, 2021 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 11:51 PM
Never Dell

19 years actually. And if it were to break ground in three years, that's 16 years to fill up...figure 14 years of groundbreakings.

This smacks of a person with absolutely no knowledge about how development works. Actually worse...someone with no sense of reality upon which to build some basis of an idea. And how could they not have even run the idea by some people?!

It's sort of like the Syracuse mall guy (the future retail workers would build the building first!) and the world's-tallest-in-Kansas guy (it can't fail, because the bigger it is, the more investors and tourists will flock to it!). I still fondly remember those discussions. At one point anyone googling the second one mostly came up with SSP detailing how it was BS.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 11:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

and the world's-tallest-in-Kansas guy (it can't fail, because the bigger it is, the more investors and tourists will flock to it!). I still fondly remember those discussions. At one point anyone googling the second one mostly came up with SSP detailing how it was BS.
LOL!!!!!!!

I forgot all about that one!

My favorite part was how that mega development was gonna have not just one, but TWO zoos!!!!!

Why the fuck would any one single given development, regardless of scale, want/need TWO different zoos? A total WTF.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 12:03 AM
DENNAB

Wow we really want to be China don't we?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 2:21 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
There must be some other motive here. Like several people have said, theres no way a billionaire would seriously propose something this stupid, not because billionaires are geniuses, but because they (usually) hire competent people to advise them on investment decisions and do research for them. They have access to extensive networks. My guess is he stands to profit from this project in some way that is completely unrelated to its success as a city. Perhaps he has some money invested with some shady people in the construction industry

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 5:32 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
LOL!!!!!!!

I forgot all about that one!

My favorite part was how that mega development was gonna have not just one, but TWO zoos!!!!!

Why the fuck would any one single given development, regardless of scale, want/need TWO different zoos? A total WTF.
The PR guy seemed to spend half his time on SSP defending the project. He didn't care that the main google results (us) were making fun of it, because his goal was rich investors, and "investors don't look at google." He had just taken a class on investment due diligence, and it hadn't mentioned google searches.

He had stats about how many people have net worths above a certain level, and thought it would be easy to get money from a large percentage of them. $5,000,000 each if I recall. From people who wouldn't google it.

It was like arguing with a teenager. He knew everything, but nothing.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Well they say they are considering Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Arizona, Texas, and Appalachia.

But most of the land in the western states is federally owned and they have a tall order on their pallet to acquire this much contiguous land in those western states. So that leaves Texas and Appalachia as the two most viable options. They will also need a massive pipeline of construction workers for this too, so they need to pick a place that has the workforce needed to make this happen.
God, I hope the hell they don't build that shit in Texas or anywhere in this country for that matter. This project reeks of stink bombs, skunks and my aunt's turtle stew.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Well, the former Amazon executive just went to space.
Also, the founder of the Virgin Group went to space too.

People with billions and billions have the resources to dream big (this idea isn't well thought out though).
That $400B could be put to infinitely better use by investing in Little Rock, Fayetteville, Fort Smith, West Memphis, and Pine Bluff.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
That $400B could be put to infinitely better use by investing in Little Rock, Fayetteville, Fort Smith, West Memphis, and Pine Bluff.
Little Rock won't even invest in itself: https://www.ualrpublicradio.org/post...s-tax-increase

No billionaire will touch a city that has no vision. And, frankly, Arkansas outside the Walmart Corridor seems to be quite content with poverty and mediocrity. Shame, as it's a beautiful state.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 8:56 PM

It would be way more exciting to see this investment in an existing city. Investing half a trillion dollars to make Pittsburgh or Cincinnati the world's cutting-edge smart, eco-friendly city? That would be fucking sweet.

Not that I have any illusions this is actually a thing.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 4:42 AM

This whole thing is hilarious. Especially considering there are dozens of cities in the American Desert that have lots of room to grow and add density. Also, nobody thought about the hardcore drought that will likely never end? LOL.

This will never happen, ever. Leave this stupidity and garish, over the top consumerism to the Arabian Gulf and Middle East.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 8:34 PM

Billionaire Marc Lore outlines how he will build the inclusive, Utopian desert city T

...Telosa's location is being targeted in the Appalachia or American West desert with plans to shepherd in a reformed version of capitalism with a focus on societal inclusion over division...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bi...?ocid=msedgntp

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
...Telosa's location is being targeted in the Appalachia or American West desert with plans to shepherd in a reformed version of capitalism with a focus on societal inclusion over division...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bi...?ocid=msedgntp
Sounds like the beginnings of some supercult.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:38 AM

It just occurred to me that $400 B could fund high-speed rail in California and the NEC, with probably $150 B left over.

This proposal is ridiculous. Not to mention that we already have a ~5 million city in the desert (Phoenix).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:52 PM

Getting worse (in my view) - Billionaire ex-Walmart exec says the first 'settlers' of

Starting to sound disturbingly crazy...I did not even read it...
Former Walmart exec Marc Lore wants to build a futuristic utopia called Telosa.

Telosa will be built on the concept of "equitism," a mash-up of equality and capitalism.

There will be an application for the first 50,000 Telosa "settlers," who could move in by 2030.
-------
https://www.yahoo.com/news/billionai...161647946.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions