HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
“I’ll take things that absolutely won’t happen in our lifetimes for 500, Alex.”

Let’s be clear. The 25th St viaduct is a crucial segment for CSX’s freight railroad operations for the foreseeable future and they are not going to sell it at any price.
Doesn't the viaduct have space for 3 tracks? I get that csx won't want to give it up, but don't see why it can't have a shared use, unless there's some law against it. Especially if the navy yard and bell weather district grow as planned.

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Jan 19, 2023 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
“I’ll take things that absolutely won’t happen in our lifetimes for 500, Alex.”

Let’s be clear. The 25th St viaduct is a crucial segment for CSX’s freight railroad operations for the foreseeable future and they are not going to sell it at any price.
CSX would gladly give it up if they could. They hate maintaining it. If there was a way to approach Greenwich from the South exclusively using the old B&O rather than the PRR (rather than just from the North which is what currently exists), they’d be using that instead. This could be achieved by building a wye bridge across the Schuylkill at Bartram’s.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:47 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
1/18 1500 block of American

This project is looking very nice.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
CSX would gladly give it up if they could. They hate maintaining it. If there was a way to approach Greenwich from the South exclusively using the old B&O rather than the PRR (rather than just from the North which is what currently exists), they’d be using that instead. This could be achieved by building a wye bridge across the Schuylkill at Bartram’s.
Speaking of viaducts, if/when the future phases of Schuykill Yards take place, which apparently includes developing over the rail yards, what would be the impact on those rail lines including the really cool viaduct that runs along the Schuykill? Could it ever be repurposed as an elevated park like The High Line?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Speaking of viaducts, if/when the future phases of Schuykill Yards take place, which apparently includes developing over the rail yards, what would be the impact on those rail lines including the really cool viaduct that runs along the Schuykill? Could it ever be repurposed as an elevated park like The High Line?
Consider that part of the 25th Street Viaduct. If CSX could find another way into Greenwich, they'd gladly give it up.

But I'd hate to see the viaduct running through Schuylkill Yards made into a trail. That would suck. Make it passenger rail, maybe some sort of light metro.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
my understanding is any activity over rail lines would be over amtrak yard- has nothing to do with viaduct for freight.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:03 PM
Philly Pholly

Last edited by SEFTA; Jan 26, 2023 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 9:09 PM
Chris

Love this proposal! I hope the Zoning Board and Historical Commission don't mess this up...

A New Dish Will Be Served Up at 3rd & Cherry in Old City

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ry-in-old-city

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Love this proposal! I hope the Zoning Board and Historical Commission don't mess this up...

A New Dish Will Be Served Up at 3rd & Cherry in Old City

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ry-in-old-city
I think they'll have more success with the commission with red brick. Personally I'm beyond tired of black brick

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:04 PM

I was always pulling for that little place to re-open.

This looks nice. I hope they can snag some commercial tenants are complimentary to the street. There are sooo many vacancies in Old City right now it's insane.

Not to derail.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I was always pulling for that little place to re-open.
I still miss their mushroom crepes !

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:14 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I think they'll have more success with the commission with red brick. Personally I'm beyond tired of black brick
If that is their only suggestion, then I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
If that is their only suggestion, then I'd be pleasantly surprised.
As long as they denounce the use of a metal panel in any way, I'm fine.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Really? North of Market feels more 19th century industrial than 18th century colonial. I think the black brick looks good here and red brick is WAY overplayed. But hey, you know what they say about opinions!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:42 PM
PHL

Oh I love that 3rd and Cherry proposal. 3rd is such an awesome street, this will look amazing. I'm okay with the black. It fits the area really well. Would be happy with red brick too.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 7:34 PM

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 8:09 PM

Looks like we have a project that has risen from the dead (although I could've sworn it was in highrise territory once upon a time):

Quote:
ZP-2022-010336
Jan 20, 2023
142-44 N BROAD ST, Philadelphia, PA 19102-1424
SPRING GARDEN MARKETING & INVESTMENT LLC 5

RENOVATION OF AN EXISTING BUILDING, WITH A 1-STORY ADDITION ON TOP AND NEW INTERMEDIATE FLOOR (ABOVE EXISTING 1ST FLOOR), FOR A TOTAL OF 8 STORIES. FOR USE AS: B - 1ST FLOOR: HOTEL LOBBY, ONE VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE, RECONFIGURATION OF EXISTING NON-ACCESSORY PARKING FOR 30 NON-ACCESSORY PARKING SPACES (INCLUDING 2 STANDARD SPACE, 18 STACKED STANDARD SPACES ON CAR LIFTS, 8 COMPACT CARS, 1 ADA & 1 ADA VAN.) 2ND FLOOR FRONT: ONE VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE (USE PERMIT TO BE OBTAINED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY) 2ND FLOOR - 13 VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACES + VISITOR ACCOMODATION 3RD-8TH FLOOR: VISITOR ACCOMODATIONS

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Looks like we have a project that has risen from the dead (although I could've sworn it was in highrise territory once upon a time):
Oh hell yeah, let's pray that the new addition isn't as ugly as the very cheap renderings suggested before lol. Good win for North Broad if it does happen though.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Nice! It's a handsome building, and oddly overlooked considering its location. I guess because it's in a traffic heavy and institutional spot, but would love to see it fixed up.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Oh I love that 3rd and Cherry proposal. 3rd is such an awesome street, this will look amazing. I'm okay with the black. It fits the area really well. Would be happy with red brick too.
If I were ever to move back to Old City, it would be to live on this block of 3rd. Absolutely one of the most charming blocks in the entire city. I'm happy other buildings on the block are being renovated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development