HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Low-rise article, but small update for this project included.

Quadplex Ongoing Close to Callowhill Mega-Project

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...l-mega-project
Sweet! From the article:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quite possibly the most transformational project going up right now. This stretch between OC and NL is such a dead zone. When I was younger, and NoLibs was still an empty wasteland, I used to imagine what it would be like to walk from 2nd & Market to 2nd & Girard without passing any dead zones. We're getting there.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Quite possibly the most transformational project going up right now. This stretch between OC and NL is such a dead zone. When I was younger, and NoLibs was still an empty wasteland, I used to imagine what it would be like to walk from 2nd & Market to 2nd & Girard without passing any dead zones. We're getting there.
I would love if they added sound barriers to that area. I walked from Market to Girard on 2nd once and it was very loud because of the cars. Also I'm not sure how you can make the exit more pedestrian friendly but it needs to be. Anyways I'm excited for the additions sounding the area.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:23 PM

wow!
I had some doubts about this one, thrilled to see no-mans-land getting filled up!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:22 PM

In doing some research, this project does have a demolition permit, dated from August:
https://li.phila.gov/Property-Histor...DP-2022-000549

Can anyone confirm/deny that the structure onsite has been demolished?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
In doing some research, this project does have a demolition permit, dated from August:
https://li.phila.gov/Property-Histor...DP-2022-000549

Can anyone confirm/deny that the structure onsite has been demolished?
I pass by it pretty regularly for work and its still standing.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 6:39 PM
PHL

All they did is paint over the nice mural. Super agitating if they end up not demolishing it after covering up the art for demo prep.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 6:47 PM
build awesome buildings

The mural was getting tagged up pretty badly, so they painted over everything. There was some crumbling along the top on the Callowhill side that they did something to a while back. They also cleared up all of the plants that were growing on-site, all of which I'm assuming is to not get any violations from the city.

The north part of the 2nd and callowhill property is filled with cars and trucks, with some materials - seemingly as a parking/staging spot for the construction at 2nd and spring garden.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
The mural was getting tagged up pretty badly, so they painted over everything. There was some crumbling along the top on the Callowhill side that they did something to a while back. They also cleared up all of the plants that were growing on-site, all of which I'm assuming is to not get any violations from the city.

The north part of the 2nd and callowhill property is filled with cars and trucks, with some materials - seemingly as a parking/staging spot for the construction at 2nd and spring garden.
I recall reading the plan was to use this as storage/staging/parking while the 2&Spring Garden building goes up. I wouldn't expect much until that beauty is close to finished. They made it sound like National Land owns more parcels on 2 street but no plans have been released yet.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
I have always wanted to see a concerted effort to turn 2nd Street into a continuously activated corridor between Old City and NoLibs. This project is a good first step but let's see uniform lighting, signage, and most critical of all, something to improve the connection under 676.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I have always wanted to see a concerted effort to turn 2nd Street into a continuously activated corridor between Old City and NoLibs. This project is a good first step but let's see uniform lighting, signage, and most critical of all, something to improve the connection under 676.
I noticed recently that this project unfortunately doesn't activate 2nd. That side of the project is entirely a parking garage with big walls and a car entrance. All of the activation is in the internal street which is an extension of American St.

From the first page:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
I noticed recently that this project unfortunately doesn't activate 2nd. That side of the project is entirely a parking garage with big walls and a car entrance. All of the activation is in the internal street which is an extension of American St.

From the first page:
I hadn't noticed that. What a strange design choice considering the N 2nd street revamp is planned. Maybe they did it for noise reasons? I can't imagine having your common space under a highway is going to work out well. Still a shame there wasn't more thought put into what's fronting 2nd

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 6:45 PM

Hot take: I like that. The walkable car-free corridor it will create on American is going to be really cool. I'm almost certain that the North 2nd Street revamp only runs from Spring Garden north anyways, right?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 7:04 PM

I think with the highway offramp right there, it may make sense to make some pocket parks and pretty up the landscaping along the greenspace along I-95. I don't think 2nd Street necessarily needs to be activated here. I think moving pedestrians off of 2nd Street and onto a pedestrian only American Street makes a ton of sense.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Hot take: I like that. The walkable car-free corridor it will create on American is going to be really cool. I'm almost certain that the North 2nd Street revamp only runs from Spring Garden north anyways, right?
We're talking about the one from the NL BID right? It technically extends to Noble St. (it includes a mural wall along the elevated highway side and new trees), but I get the feeling that this portion is meant to be absorbed into the Spring Garden Greenway project if that ever gets off of the ground.

I agree with the points that you and Summers are making, but if this truly is supposed to be a connection between NL & Old City then this stretch of 2nd does need to be activated. Its ridiculous, but the 2nd & Callowhill intersection is the most pedestrian friendly in this stretch (Callowhill doubles in size at 3rd and the highway off ramp leads to very dangerous behaivor by drivers).

I love the idea of the pedestrian only American section, but if the majority of users have to take a detour off of 2nd in order to use it I don't think it'll be as successful as we would like.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 5:21 AM

Hunter Roberts sign and more heavy equipment seen from the El today.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Hunter Roberts sign and more heavy equipment seen from the El today.
Nice! I was a bit worried about this one getting off the ground for whatever reason.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Nice! I was a bit worried about this one getting off the ground for whatever reason.
This as well as 2nd and Spring Garden are being developed by National Real Estate Development and the KRE Group. I recall reading on here that the plan was always to get 2nd and SG going before moving forward with this one. they had used some of space here to stage for the Spring Garden build. I believe they have further plans for 2nd st between these two properties but nothing has been released yet (to my knowledge)

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
This as well as 2nd and Spring Garden are being developed by National Real Estate Development and the KRE Group. I recall reading on here that the plan was always to get 2nd and SG going before moving forward with this one. they had used some of space here to stage for the Spring Garden build. I believe they have further plans for 2nd st between these two properties but nothing has been released yet (to my knowledge)
Thanks!

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 2:21 PM
Chris

Naked Philly posted a video of the site action an hour ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals