HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 11:02 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Just curious, do you find grilling several hundred feet up in the urban jungle on a small concrete patch with a concrete ceiling a few feet overhead a pleasant experience? I mean, that's largely what we're talking about here - the typical small high rise balcony. You can of course get more unique large terraces in very high end highrises that would typically occur with a building setback - and that's a different environment. People like their grilled meats, I get it....just doesn't seem pleasant in general.

Point taken on a portion of the consumer base for which no balcony is a deal-breaker. My guess is that that actual portion is/has become smaller than a lot of developers still think.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Just curious, do you find grilling several hundred feet up in the urban jungle on a small concrete patch with a concrete ceiling a few feet overhead a pleasant experience? I mean, that's largely what we're talking about here - the typical small high rise balcony. You can of course get more unique large terraces in very high end highrises that would typically occur with a building setback - and that's a different environment. People like their grilled meats, I get it....just doesn't seem pleasant in general.

Point taken on a portion of the consumer base for which no balcony is a deal-breaker. My guess is that that actual portion is/has become smaller than a lot of developers still think.
Believe me I’m hoping this project gets built as much as anyone else. However, hospitality likely out in this environment, and I just think we see some balconies carved into the end of the upper floors, kind of like Nema has.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 12:23 AM

I'd like to hear from someone that actually owns one or has been on one up higher than 30-40 stories. As another poster said it's very inhospitable. Nauseating nearly. I couldn't wait to return through the sliding doors.

I can only imagine a huge turnover rate in these rentals. I give a slight nod to the enclosed balcony ones. But just look at all those corner windows/apartments in the Nema shot above. They're empty.

Last edited by bhawk66; Jun 10, 2023 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 6:23 AM

I was just up on the 54th floor of Marina City visiting a friend with a 2br overlooking the river --the views are absolutely spectacular of course sweeping east to south/southwest. I was excited to have lunch out on the balcony... until I got out there.

Despite the gentle curves of the building itself, the relatively low ceiling, and depth of the balconies, I immediately felt uneasy. I summoned the courage to walk to the railing and peer over--at 6'4'' tall, the railing felt quite low and I backed away again soon. It was a thrilling experience but it didn't exactly feel natural to be out there, and certainly not standing up next to the edge.

To be even HIGHER up, say on Aqua or Vista, exposed like that, I can't imagine finding very pleasant for long periods. Just my 2c.

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
I'd like to hear from someone that actually owns one or has been on one up higher than 30-40 stories. As another poster said it's very inhospitable. Nauseating nearly. I couldn't wait to return through the sliding doors.

I can only imagine a huge turnover rate in these rentals. I give a slight nod to the enclosed balcony ones. But just look at all those corner windows/apartments in the Nema shot above. They're empty.
I had an ex boyfriend with a place at the top of Marina City.

I’m only 5 ft tall, so the railings and height don’t bother me that much. Like going to a hotel roofdeck. Not a big deal.

I could definitely have a place with a balcony as a couple or a single, but not as a parent with children.

But I think it’s mostly a matter of Chicago being cold that there’s not a ton of people standing around on balconies all the time.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 2:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ My old condo at MC was only on the 33rd floor, but I freaking loved the giant 175 SF balcony. I had a dining table, two lounge chairs and a small gas grill for burger/dogs.

As you mentioned, the main issues with balconies in Chicago is the city's climate. There's a huge swath of the year where they just aren't very practically useable, especially being elevated up in the wind. It might be pleasant enough to be outside at ground level on a 55 degree October afternoon, but up on a highrise balcony, the wind could easily make it not very pleasant at all. That still wouldn't stop me from grilling though

And like you, I would never want to be in highrise unit with a balcony with children. Too much needless worry of them doing something really stupid.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:24 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ My old condo at MC was only on the 33rd floor, but I freaking loved the giant 175 SF balcony. I had a dining table, two lounge chairs and a small gas grill for burger/dogs.

As you mentioned, the main issues with balconies in Chicago is the city's climate. There's a huge swath of the year where they just aren't very practically useable, especially being elevated up in the wind. It might be pleasant enough to be outside at ground level on a 55 degree October afternoon, but up on a highrise balcony, the wind could easily make it not very pleasant at all. That still wouldn't stop me from grilling though

And like you, I would never want to be in highrise unit with a balcony with children. Too much needless worry of them doing something really stupid.
Yep purposely didn't buy a condo with a balcony for that reason as well (though my daughter hadn't been conceived yet at that point, we were thinking about it)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 7:50 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
I've been in (and lived) in apartments 30-50 stories up. I actually think a balcony that high is pretty cool but can be a little scary, too.

Due to high winds it definitely wouldn't be a necessity though, just being able to open the windows in a high-rise condo would be fine.

I believe the Vista Tower has the highest residential balconies in the US (maybe the world although Dubai may hold that title?)

The last occupied floor of that building is 1,153 feet according to the CTBUH, imagine being on an open air balcony so high up you're looking at the center of the pod of the CN Tower. Insane, and honestly a little much.

Central Park Tower has one too near the top (1,400+) but it looks more sheltered and is more of a patio.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 2:20 AM

My case is obviously specific, so im not claiming it represents any significant portion of buyers, but my wife and I are living out in the Elmwood Park, I work in manufacturing, a lot of sprawling factories out in the suburbs like Arlington heights, des plaines, addison, etc., so it makes sense for us to be here so my travel times aren't horrendous, i regularly have to go to multiple places per week, so public transit isnt really feasible either. We are strongly considering buying a condo downtown for weekends in the city, which we do pretty frequently. I can say a balcony is an absolute must for us. I'd prefer the recessed balconies like Vista or the corner balconies on One Chicago, but it really is a deal breaker for us. Obviously we aren't considering full time living, but I love relaxing outside in relative peace and quiet with a cigar after a long day of activities, so thats basically the primary reason for it. High balconies don't bother me either.

So obviously it's anecdotal, but seeing as how I view it as a requirement for a weekend getaway, I could definitely see plenty of people viewing it as a necessity if it's their primary residence.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I've been in (and lived) in apartments 30-50 stories up. I actually think a balcony that high is pretty cool but can be a little scary, too.

Due to high winds it definitely wouldn't be a necessity though, just being able to open the windows in a high-rise condo would be fine.

I believe the Vista Tower has the highest residential balconies in the US (maybe the world although Dubai may hold that title?)

The last occupied floor of that building is 1,153 feet according to the CTBUH, imagine being on an open air balcony so high up you're looking at the center of the pod of the CN Tower. Insane, and honestly a little much.

Central Park Tower has one too near the top (1,400+) but it looks more sheltered and is more of a patio.
Central Park Tower does indeed have one on the 130th or so floor, big 1000+ sq/ft terrace, but that's hardly worth bringing into the conversation, it has like 15 foot high glass walls surrounding it to reduce issues with wind.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:20 PM

I lived in Aqua for a couple of years (50+ floor), the balconies were unusable. Views were amazing but the combination of windy conditions and being that high up in a non enclosed balcony with slotted railings, not glass railing made me realize how unrealistic balconies that high up can be, specially if they’re not walled off on 2 ends. Add to that, I couldn’t have a grill, no plants, any furniture we had was chained because of the wind which made ratting noises constantly. Based on how often I used it, I’d much rather have the windows all the way out minus the balconies to enhance the living area and views from the room.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 11:47 PM

Apparently there nothing updated about this building because y’all talking balconies. Can we hear something more importantly like a loan being secure and a start date for construction

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 12:23 AM
Show me the blueprints

Those things have to happen to be reported on. You get that right?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Apparently there nothing updated about this building because y’all talking balconies. Can we hear something more importantly like a loan being secure and a start date for construction
Loan??? Not during this economic cycle.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Almost like you're on a forum.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:31 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp View Post
Loan??? Not during this economic cycle.
Doubt we’ll see anything on this until those rates are back at 0%.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:03 PM

Lock this thread for the time being?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Lock this thread for the time being?
Good idea.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals