HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 6:07 AM

Viceroy Hotel is more than likely going to happen, and I know there are plans for 700 West Chicago, however, i've never heard that Freedom Center was going to be demolished. My impression was that the development was along the river, north of Chicago and east of Halsted. As for 29/39 South LaSalle...

How much of this is conceptual and how much is real???

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 6:11 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Viceroy Hotel is more than likely going to happen, and I know there are plans for 700 West Chicago, however, i've never heard that Freedom Center was going to be demolished. My impression was that the development was along the river, north of Chicago and east of Halsted. As for 29/39 South LaSalle...

How much of this is conceptual and how much is real???
Viceroy is doing demo work now..,

I have no idea just got it from the website, what I do know is that 700 west Chicago seems to be the design because O'Donnel is developing it.

Lasalle street proposal just looks real at the moment, based on the description. Looks well over 700 feet as the BMO Harris building to the right of it is 510 feet tall.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
42 stories of office on top of seven floors of parking and hotel amenities, that's gotta 650'+, if the ceiling heights for the two U/C class A+ office buildings along the river are any indication.

According to wikipedia (which is using ancient information it looks like), this was to be a 51-story Lucien Lagrange office building that would clock in at 870 feet.

And I wouldn't necessarily call the former Equitable Building at 29 S. LaSalle "non-descript."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BTjlLEykvh...ROE+-+1908.jpg

I haven't found any quality pictures of the building pre-1940, but it sure looked like a stunner, and then an architectural crime happened...

That said, this needs to be built. Soon, and preferably with a 10-15 floor count increase.

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 8:45 AM

Quote:
I believe that the 29 la salle was an old proposal by the previous owners who sold it and now the current building is being converted into apt

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 8:57 AM

^The corner building I believe is being turned into a hotel

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
^The corner building I believe is being turned into a hotel
sorry meant 39 la salle then, either way I love the proposal...hope it turns out.

One thing is though I really hope 590 W madison happens and that more west loop towers get built, would love to see downtown extend in that direction

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 10:36 AM

Wow, you really pulled a Spyguy on us. Also how can you include all these renderings of 29-39 N Lasalle and not include this one

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 12:17 PM

Just wanted to comment on GP website wow they really do some amazing work, I did not know that they were involved in a beautiful supertall in China. Proud that they are from Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 1:39 PM
dream fast

Interesting updates, munchymunch. Good to see the facadectomy incorporated in the Viceroy Hotel.

Last edited by george; Nov 1, 2015 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaul Bunyan View Post
And I wouldn't necessarily call the former Equitable Building at 29 S. LaSalle "non-descript."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BTjlLEykvh...ROE+-+1908.jpg

I haven't found any quality pictures of the building pre-1940, but it sure looked like a stunner, and then an architectural crime happened...
It is sad how so many vintage buildings have been modified and may even look nothing like they did originally. People don't even realize.
(e.g., also, the building immediately to the north of 29)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 2:26 PM

Guys, 29 S LaSalle is not real. It was a pre-recession proposal, very dead now.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 3:00 PM

LOL I love how almost everything at the street level in the Viceroy rendering is wrong.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 3:05 PM

^ I'm pretty sure most of us on here are aware of the 29 S LaSalle proposal during the last boom. Who's to say this is the same one? This could be a new proposal as the architect behind the old proposal was Lucien Lagrange. Also, there was an article in Crain's this past February about 29. S LaSalle being purchased by new owners and the article, IIRC, stated that the new owner wouldn't disclose plans for the site. On the other hand, 39 S LaSalle is being converted into a Kimpton hotel.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
This is really slick. Awesome.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
Also, there was an article in Crain's this past February about 29. S LaSalle being purchased by new owners and the article, IIRC, stated that the new owner wouldn't disclose plans for the site. On the other hand, 39 S LaSalle is being converted into a Kimpton hotel.
This proposal would include the hotel. So, if that is already being converted, then it is reasonable to conclude this isn't a current proposal.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
This proposal would include the hotel. So, if that is already being converted, then it is reasonable to conclude this isn't a current proposal.
I'd love to see a proposal of this form for the lot directly west of River Point, where the tall office tower would tower over and plug into the two historic low-rise buildings (I would build new on the corner as well), which could be activated for hospitality use (they were just renovated, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum). The view corridor of the river facing east also lines up with where the surface parking lot is, so it would make sense to build tall there.

One of the most exciting vacant parcels to me, because in the right hands it could be a fantastic mix of new and old. It would also continue the push of the skyline west, while adding some excitement to an area lacking in street life...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 3:46 PM

Has anyone been able to dig up a rendering of the proposed 26-story Hilton on Wabash/11th (quietly) announced after all the South Loop frenzy last month?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 3:53 PM
THAT Guy

Shawn is correct I believe in that this is probably pre-recession. There have been other unreleased designs for this site. In summary:

39 LaSalle = being converted to a Kimpton hotel
29 LaSalle = being converted to apartments (see here for rendering of the rooftop pool)

700 Chicago looks interesting. Didn't realize there were an additional 30 acres they were looking to redevelop in the future. And Viceroy will be stunning in real life.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Shawn is correct I believe in that this is probably pre-recession. There have been other unreleased designs for this site. In summary:

39 LaSalle = being converted to a Kimpton hotel
29 LaSalle = being converted to apartments (see here for rendering of the rooftop pool)

700 Chicago looks interesting. Didn't realize there were an additional 30 acres they were looking to redevelop in the future. And Viceroy will be stunning in real life.
Welp, there goes the excitement for that. At least we still have 700 W Chicago to fantasize about. It looks like that additional 30 acres will have to be doe through capping since the parcel is below street level. Here's a view of what it looks like with streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8946...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
This one is so great. Can we get a dedicated thread yet?

Via DNAinfo
Parking fronting Grant Park? They should have their licenses revoked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations