HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 12:24 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I wonder if the pricing for the residential units (condos) will be similar to St.Regis (Vista). Also what kind of potential rates for the rentals.
Probably similar but I'm not sure, Vista has pretty cool amenities with the balconies and outdoor areas but maybe they'll come up with something cool for this one too.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:05 AM

I love the massive decrease in parking spaces, hopefully that sparks a trend

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 1:30 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Awesome!!! Great job with the interior lights.
Agreed
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmilk View Post
I tried
"I am the bat."

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 3:58 PM

This was posted in the Salesforce thread, but also posting here. Forumer oatmilk made a great edit of Tribune Tower East into a skyline shot during sunrise. I never realized it until you edited it into the photo, but the silhouette of Tribune East matches that of Gothic arches. It's almost a subtle nod to Tribune Tower's neo-Gothic design. Even more reason why I love this tower (and why we're the true Gotham City).

Quote:

HxQ5R4J by Oat Milk, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 4:10 PM

I'm not sure if that was intentional.... But I love it! They should use that in marketing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I'm not sure if that was intentional.... But I love it! They should use that in marketing.
According to Gordon Gill, it was 100 percent intentional.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:29 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
According to Gordon Gill, it was 100 percent intentional.
I honestly wish they would have finished the arch shape then. I'm not a fan of the "implied arch".
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 3:56 PM

Nah, the little gap at the top gives the building a more vertical, soaring appearance than if it was capped. And it also looks like batman, which is a plus.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Probably similar but I'm not sure, Vista has pretty cool amenities with the balconies and outdoor areas but maybe they'll come up with something cool for this one too.
I would think similar as well. In this day and age, if you want to charge top dollar, you have to have a good suite of amenities, so I can't imagine them following through with this without at least a couple dedicated amenity floors.

What I'm more curious about is the fact that, as mentioned on the previous page, Chicago isn't really a place where people buy a massive condo to park money and then never set foot inside it. Most condo sales here are to people that intend to live in them. Looking at Vista, last I heard, they have a substantial portion of the full floor units that haven't sold yet, and in my mind it's at least partially due to a lack of desire of living that high up. 1000+ feet up feels disconnected from the city, and the height really messes with the scale of things, it makes the entire city seem so much smaller, and with this building, you'll have to be within 6 feet of the window to even really see much of the city if you're on one of the top 20 floors. I'd much rather live at around 5-600' in Chicago than at 1300', maybe I'm crazy.

As much as I love this design and hope it gets built, I really wonder how much interest they'll get from people that want to live so far above the city. I'm sure there will be some, but enough to really warrant building that high? I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 7:11 PM

As to the height, I know what you mean, and usually I’d agree. But I’ve been in one of those full-floor apartments pretty high up and found it incredible. Views straight down lakeshore drive, west down the river, north above everything except the hancock building. Just every view was amazing. Without kids, I could totally see the attraction (though it would be a pretty big place for just a couple, even if you hate each other).

Waiting for the elevator to leave from that high up, on the other hand, and then walking out the door dumped on the tail end of wacker, was less great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW2492 View Post
in my mind it's at least partially due to a lack of desire of living that high up. 1000+ feet up feels disconnected from the city, and the height really messes with the scale of things, it makes the entire city seem so much smaller, and with this building, you'll have to be within 6 feet of the window to even really see much of the city if you're on one of the top 20 floors. I'd much rather live at around 5-600' in Chicago than at 1300', maybe I'm crazy.

As much as I love this design and hope it gets built, I really wonder how much interest they'll get from people that want to live so far above the city. I'm sure there will be some, but enough to really warrant building that high? I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 10:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I honestly wish they would have finished the arch shape then. I'm not a fan of the "implied arch".
I think it's brilliant.

Appropriately contextual without being too literal.

Plus, BATMAN! (as mentioned by others).

Well played, smith-gill.

Please oh please let this get built, Pizza God!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 12:03 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
I tried

HxQ5R4J by Oat Milk, on Flickr
This image is wild. Build it!!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:04 AM

Could we get a Lord of the Rings "eye" up in there? Lol.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Could we get a Lord of the Rings "eye" up in there? Lol.
The first year Salesforce Tower opened in San Francisco, they used the video board at the top to project the Eye of Sauron for Halloween.

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_t...DWqVdEYvOy.jpg

I like it when architecture gets dressed up for the holidays.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Mar 17, 2023 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for off topic unsourced images

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
This image is wild. Build it!!
Two 1400+ footers flanking lesser giants, would be an awesome sight to behold! Build it please!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:16 PM

I don't see the bidding opportunity listed on CIM's bidding opportunity web page. Am I missing something? Has it been removed?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
I don't see the bidding opportunity listed on CIM's bidding opportunity web page. Am I missing something? Has it been removed?
Sure looks like it's been removed. It was definitely there before..

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:23 PM

I'm not familiar with the bidding process on commercial real estate, is it possible that they already got enough bids in and closed it after only a few weeks? Or that they at least got enough inquiries that they closed it to new interest in bidding? I'm not sure what the most likely scenario here is, but I imagine the second scenario is at least possible. A project this size isn't going to have an insane number of viable contractors to pick from, so I could see them closing it after all realistic ones made inquiries into bidding. Or maybe they got some rough pricing back already and determined it's not feasible to move forward at this point with prices as high as they are.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:31 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW2492 View Post
I'm not familiar with the bidding process on commercial real estate, is it possible that they already got enough bids in and closed it after only a few weeks? Or that they at least got enough inquiries that they closed it to new interest in bidding? I'm not sure what the most likely scenario here is, but I imagine the second scenario is at least possible. A project this size isn't going to have an insane number of viable contractors to pick from, so I could see them closing it after all realistic ones made inquiries into bidding. Or maybe they got some rough pricing back already and determined it's not feasible to move forward at this point with prices as high as they are.
I'm not sure and thought the same thing, i.e. trying to figure out if this is good news or bad news lol

I assumed bad but maybe I'm wrong?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals