HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:56 PM

Julian, CA and a blurb of San Diego's Hillcrest neighborhood

Yesterday (Saturday, 12.17.22), my partner and I did a little day trip to Julian, CA, a historic mountain town in San Diego County. It was the site of a short-lived gold rush in the 1800s, the only area in San Diego County that had a gold rush. Julian is now known for its apples, and people go there to pick apples during apple-picking season, to have apple pies, and to have cider---the non-alcohol and alcohol kind. We went to get the latter kind. So, here are some pictures...

Julian, CA

Photo by me

We got into Julian and were extremely hungry---it was lunch time when we got there. The town was more crowded than I thought it would be. People were lining up at restaurants that served apple pie and stuff like that, so we went to a Mexican restaurant, hehe, which wasn't too crowded.

The entrance. This would be filled with people drinking cocktails or whatever during the warmer months.

Photo by me

Photo by me

My lunch. Shrimp tacos, black beans, and rice.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

The historic Julian Gold Rush Hotel, formerly known as the Robinson Hotel. It was one of the first businesses in San Diego County owned and operated by African-Americans. It is the oldest continually operating hotel in southern California. It opened in 1897. It was started by Albert Robinson and Margaret Tull Robinson.

From Wikipedia: "Albert was a former slave who came to Julian with his former slave owner. During the gold rush days of Julian, most of San Diego County's African-Americans lived in remote Julian, rather than the city of San Diego. Another influential black pioneer of the time, and a friend of the Robinsons, was America Newton, also a former slave and laundress during the town's gold rush days. Albert and Margaret met in Julian, Albert being employed at the time as a cook. They were married in the late 1880s. Albert died on June 10, 1915. Margaret sold the hotel in 1921. The hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places."

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

People were all lined up to go to this place; the Julian Cider Mill doesn't serve the kind of cider we want.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Headin' back up the highway towards our real destination in Julian...

Photo by me

Photo by me

...on the outskirts of town. Mmm, mmm. We've been here before, and the last time we were here we got really shit-faced. We drank just enough this time. It's a fun place. Pre-pandemic, they offered apple-picking, but I think that activity has been suspended for now.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

We decided to sit outside. It was cold but we sat by an outdoor fireplace. It was nice. My cider is on the left, my partner's is on the right.

Photo by me

2nd round.

Photo by me

We tossed like maybe 3 logs on the fire while we were sitting there.

Photo by me

During warmer times, people are encouraged to drink among the apple trees. It was too cold to do it this time.

Photo by me

Photo by me

The sun was gonna start setting so we decided to leave. We figured we'd get dinner... "Should we go back home to LA, or go into San Diego?" San Diego being closer to Julian than LA, we decided to drive into San Diego.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Hillcrest, San Diego

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Mexican food again. I also had tacos again.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I thought to get coffee/tea at this hookah lounge.

Photo by me

Naah, we didn't do hookah.

Photo by me

Photo by me

My partner had tea and I had a Turkish coffee.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Dec 18, 2022 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 11:27 PM
them bones

I fancy myself as both well traveled and quite knowledgeable about Southern California and I’ve never heard of this place. Shows what an amazing state we live in.

I rarely think of San Diego County and snow in the same context.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 12:27 AM

I visited Julian when I was 7 or 8, I seem to remember a small mine tour and panning for gold. We bought a jug of apple juice and drank it in the car on the way back to the coast, it was incredible!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I fancy myself as both well traveled and quite knowledgeable about Southern California and I’ve never heard of this place. Shows what an amazing state we live in.

There is mountain range on the Baja peninsula that gets snow in the winter as far as 200 - 300 miles south of San Diego.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra..._National_Park

Julian looks like a nice mountain community, certainly touristy but less cheesy than Big Bear.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 12:38 AM

Julian looks cute. California has some great old mountain towns!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 12:54 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah and i like it, but julian looks like a post-covid $500 a night b&b type of place.

and ho ho ho hillcrest in sd. yep.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post

Same here, never heard of Julian, and I too don’t think of snow in San Diego mountains. It looks like a nice little spot to check out. As far as apple picking I know there are some apple farms deep into the Inland Empire mountain communities that my sister and her family like to visit every year. She been telling me for years I should visit, but I have yet to get there.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:53 PM

I'm surprised people in the LA area are weirded out that there are places in San Diego county with snow!? We're just down the road and also have mountainous regions like LA county lol.

As someone who grew up in SD, it was always a thing after a big winter storm to drive up to Julian for apple pie and gawk and all that wondrous white powder. Also most kids in SD who go to 6th grade camp do so in that area during winter...brings back good memories.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:00 PM
你的媽媽

Very cool! Who knew it could snow in San Diego?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I'm surprised people in the LA area are weirded out that there are places in San Diego county with snow!? We're just down the road and also have mountainous regions like LA county lol.

As someone who grew up in SD, it was always a thing after a big winter storm to drive up to Julian for apple pie and gawk and all that wondrous white powder. Also most kids in SD who go to 6th grade camp do so in that area during winter...brings back good memories.
I grew up in Orange County and in high school following a cold winter storm, I rode my mountain bike up Saddleback mountain and rode in the snow while my brother surfed in Newport Beach on the same day.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:53 PM

Thanks for all the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Same here, never heard of Julian, and I too don’t think of snow in San Diego mountains. It looks like a nice little spot to check out. As far as apple picking I know there are some apple farms deep into the Inland Empire mountain communities that my sister and her family like to visit every year. She been telling me for years I should visit, but I have yet to get there.
I know that in the Inland Empire, Oak Glen is popular for apple picking. I had a coworker years ago who said she and her family like going there every year for the apples.

My partner and I learned about Julian from, of all things, a Triple A Guidebook to California, back in the late 1990s. That's when we first went. But this recent daytrip was the first time we've seen snow there; we've only been there in the fall and summer.

Quote:

I think what it is, is that people in the LA area go north when they want to ski or experience snow in the mountains, so they'll go to the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel/San Bernardino Mountains. I don't think many LA people think to go south for snow in the mountains.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:51 PM
Me?!?

Beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I grew up in Orange County and in high school following a cold winter storm, I rode my mountain bike up Saddleback mountain and rode in the snow while my brother surfed in Newport Beach on the same day.
It's what I love about the West and you can drive to so many different climates.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 1:32 AM

Nice pictures! I had never heard of Julian, so I had to look up where it was. I didn't realize there were mountain towns in San Diego County, much less mountain towns that get snow in San Diego County. I know the mountains north of Los Angeles got snow, but I figured that was due to elevation, and the mountains between San Diego and the Imperial Valley seemed smaller to me, I guess.

Nice to see that bar stand up with the emotional support animals. That seems like a West Coast thing, because I have never seen that in person before. Other than a dog trained to detect bouts of PTSD, I don't really know what "emotional support" even means.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 12:40 AM

Quote:

Well in all fairness the SD County mountains top off at ~6500ft, whereas the San Gabriel, San Bernardino and San Jacinto ranges go to 10,000 - 11,000 ft. So they do get a lot more snow and much more consistently. Julian gets a good snow storm maybe once or twice a season.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos