HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 12:19 AM
1st Ward

Wow, this is incredibly cheesy yet really cool all at the same time.

And yes, they definitely need to put big flat screen TVs facing the pool for when the game is on

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 1:46 PM

Not to jump off topic again. But I used to have a connection at the LVAC on belmont and the roof pool was pretty badass to have the game on tv/radio and have the crowd roar seconds before seeing/hearing it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* posts deleted *

let's please keep this thread on track with discussion about the developments in and around wrigely field, without the obnoxious and stupid social commentary, thank you.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 30, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:16 PM

So, given that I thought there were interesting factoids I posted, I guess I will repost them, without the social commentary.

Zachary, from North to South -
- Big Star had a soft opening on Wednesday. It was packed. Opening next week.
- Smoke Daddy's has furniture in place and they are stocking bar.
- Mordecai Brown, the cocktail bar, has really cool mid-century inspired furniture and a great terazzo floor. Opening between now and opening day.
- Ground floor lobby to the hotel is very sharp looking. Nice tile on the floor, huge green tufted ottoman/couch. Nice. I like what i have seen of the lobby in the pics. Has a Chicago Athletic Association vibe
- West Town Bakery is stocking shelves. Staff was training last night
- McD's is opening in 4 days. HUGE signs on windows with countdown.
- Winstrust Bank branch must be 1 or 2 weeks out, at most.
- Parking stair well has great graphic art murals by the same person who did West Town Bakery's art
- Boka Group's restaurant Dutch & Doc's probably 1 or 2 months from being ready.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The Ricketts are definitely shooting a little higher than typical super mass market appeal.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:25 PM

I love the transformation happening in Wrigley. The area was feeling very stale.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:51 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Giant Big Star opening at the Hotel Zachary by Wrigley:
https://chicago.eater.com/2018/4/2/1...os-cubs-images

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Giant Big Star opening at the Hotel Zachary by Wrigley:
https://chicago.eater.com/2018/4/2/1...os-cubs-images
On game days this will be the only thing on earth more profitable than the original Big Star when it's open.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 12:57 AM
The City

So Wrigleyville is going to be Chicago’s next foodie destination? Wow

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 12:48 PM

Great thing about Wrigley is you can bring food right into the park. I can definitely see grabbing some taco's and eating them at the game.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 1:31 PM

I have not had the luxury of visiting Fenway yet, but I'm going before I die. Anyways, how are their fast food establishments located/looked upon in that area since their renovation, for anyone in the Boston community? Frowned upon or still necessities? This transformation of wrigley is reminding me alot more of denver, coors field, than anything else. Not a bad thing. But not expected for a franchise with a past background. I'm happy and sad at the same time.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
I'm happy and sad at the same time.
What is there to be sad about? The Zachary Hotel is replacing a surface lot and suburban McDonalds, and the Plaza/Office Building replaced a surface lot. Also, the Addison Park development is replacing mostly surface lots, and a few buildings (though the goose island building and old starbucks buildings were indeed nice). The exterior of the neighborhood is being renovated to better match it's 1930's facade, and removing the 1970's concrete panels that were added. The god awful stand alone Taco Bell is being demoed for...I don't remember, but whatever it is will be a 1000x better than Taco Bell.

Serious question: What are you sad about?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
The god awful stand alone Taco Bell is being demoed for...I don't remember, but whatever it is will be a 1000x better than Taco Bell.

Serious question: What are you sad about?
Wouldn't be surprised if a Taco Bell still ends up there just no drive-thru.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:41 AM

Isn't McDs still going to be in the areas too? I can't think of a single thing that is bad about what is happening in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 11:04 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Isn't McDs still going to be in the areas too? I can't think of a single thing that is bad about what is happening in the neighborhood.
Yes, in the Hotel Zachary building, actually. I believe it opens today.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Yes, in the Hotel Zachary building, actually. I believe it opens today.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Thanks, that's what I thought. The hotel is beautiful btw. Such an upgrade from the parking lot and rundown McDonald's.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 12:44 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I thought. The hotel is beautiful btw. Such an upgrade from the parking lot and rundown McDonald's.
I wasn't around when the old McDonald's was there, but I will certainly say the number of restaurants in and near the Hotel Zachary building is pretty damned impressive. I'm certainly looking forward to visiting some of them very soon, not to mention having a movie theater opening up by perhaps late summer over at the Clark/Addison development. Great stuff to have about a 10 minute walk from where I live!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 11:40 PM

The area is weird obviously considering Southport is just a few blocks away, and Boystown in the other direction, and Lakeview East. The immediate area to me was at least as of recently a so-so area surrounded by better looking and nicer areas. The hotel looks like an upgrade already - when the big new apartment/retail complex opens then it'll continue it. They just need to get rid of the stuff like that Taco Bell to complete it even more (already plans for it too).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Where is McDonalds at? On what streets is that? Don't they have steak & eggs and cheese bagels?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The area is weird obviously considering Southport is just a few blocks away, and Boystown in the other direction, and Lakeview East. The immediate area to me was at least as of recently a so-so area surrounded by better looking and nicer areas. The hotel looks like an upgrade already - when the big new apartment/retail complex opens then it'll continue it. They just need to get rid of the stuff like that Taco Bell to complete it even more (already plans for it too).
the immediate area around wrigley is a complete transformation from 12 months ago; the Park at Wrigley is great, the hotel is great. Wrigley is now drawing families from the Southport cooridor on non game days; Saturdays at the park involves kids running through fountains, listening to live music, and enjoying being outside. It will be even better, with more food options at Hotel Zachary.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:32 PM
BANNED

I think this is easily the best stadium/neighborhood environment in the country for any sport. They are turning it into a community that actually lives up to the name "Wrigleyville". This transformation is great. I hope 'Addison on the Park' turns out like the renderings with the Times Square type signage and lighting. My only problem is the average fan is probably going to be eventually priced out of coming within a square mile of the stadium leaving nothing but plastic fans everywhere.

This is more like the European soccer experience where the stadium/team is well integrated within an urban neighborhood and feels like it belongs to the local community unlike most American sports complexes that sit isolated and feel unapproachable. Like Soldier Field and the United Center for example where there is absolutely no life or charm to them. I've always preferred the European model, very similar to Wrigley as opposed to the U.S.'s approach of building off of expressways or in suburbs with seas of parking and natural or man made barriers. A major team playing in a location like this would never happen in modern times and we'll probably never see anything like it again.

Last edited by Siriusly; Apr 6, 2018 at 6:08 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development