HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:24 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
There's nothing bold about Alberta. Fundamentally it's a redneck attitude that has more in common with rural Ontario than the GTA. Edmonton could be a newer bigger London, while Calgary is Kitchener Waterloo with some gaudy high rise office towers.

This Spring/Summer, I visited every city between Ottawa and Edmonton, Winnipeg and Victoria, North Bay and Calgary. To my mind, all cities NW of the GTA* have a hard-edged, down-at-the-knees vibe, with simmering racial tension between the colonizers and Natives, with downtowns that feel like they've succumbed to suburbanization. They're Canadian make-work projects, in the way that many American state capitals feel.

(*Except Vancouver outside of the DES)
Yes, the rest of Canada west of Ontario is Mordor. Albertans are just orcs pillaging the Shire. Our sewage canal glacier river water feeds the Colonial pit mines of suburbia.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:29 PM
Fake News

Totally the same!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
There's a lot of cultural similarities for sure, but I found that to be more true 15 years ago. Edmonton spent the 2010s getting back its mojo and feels a lot more dynamic, bigger, and energetic. In some ways, that means it's less "cool" than Winnipeg now. But there's still similar "feels" between the two. I think if you injected Winnipeg with a bunch of oil money it would probably act almost identically to Edmonton.

One other aspect to Edmonton is that it's very utilitarian and value-engineered, perhaps more obviously than any other major Canadian city. This has both good and bad aspects. For example, the city is very straightforward to get around, much more so than Winnipeg, but on the other hand, it's quite ugly when you take away the natural beauty of the river valley. You could chalk this up to being more city form/infrastructure, but I think it's also a reflection of the culture of both cities. Edmonton swings and misses because Edmontonians tend to have poor taste and prioritize convenience and efficiency, which means getting around is probably the easiest in Canada for >500,000 cities. Winnipeggers are marred by a status quo inertia but because of various legacies, tend to have significantly better aesthetic considerations than Edmonton. The most notable example of this is that you don't have as much cheap, value-engineered architecture as Edmonton, particularly in prominent locations.

I agree with you about Edmonton and Calgary. They're actually pretty different, but still share a lot due to proximity and politics. Peter Lougheed/Grey Nuns is another fun doppelganger. But Calgarians act differently than Edmontonians, even if the latter seem to be aspiring to the former, it doesn't change the nature of each group. 17th Ave and Whyte Ave have had some cross-pollination of businesses too, but they look and increasingly feel different. Edmonton put all its eggs in one basket with Whyte, whereas Calgary has boosted main streets all around quite well, and now has vibrant urban areas with 17th/4th, Kensington, Inglewood, and Stephen. Bridgeland is getting there too. In Edmonton, 124th Street is still underwhelming, 20 years later. Calgary is a lot flashier and a lot more successful when it makes an attempt than Edmonton, but feels a lot more shallow too. The geography and vegetation is also totally different -- Edmonton's vegetation is closer to Winnipeg's actually.
Yeah I'd mostly agree to that. I do thnk Edmonton has been pivoting in culture, politics, and identity over the last 10 years. Although I think in some ways that has moved the city away from Winnipeg, but in other ways towards.

Winnipeg is pretty good at not trying to be something it isn't. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it comes with a certain groundedness, but it can also be limiting.

Calgary refuses to limit itself, but in doing so it can feel like it is striving to be whatever it can to retain status leading to that sense of shallowness.

I feel like in the late 90s/early 00s Edmonton managed to latch onto some of the negatives of both of these. Loosing relative status to Calgary, and the inertia that came with it - but still trying to hold onto something that that was fleeting. That was the period of the greatest Calgary aspirations. But out of that also developed a groundedness that I think draws it closer to Winnipeg, and away from Calgary. However, a period of (mostly) rapid growth and money also offsets the intertia and bolstered the more Calgary-like optimism and simultaneously pulls it away from Winnipeg in many ways.

Not to say Edmonton is some perfect balance- it still struggles to find that line - often awkwardly - but is getting better.

There are also historical/cultural histories with the zone of fur-trade/Métis/agriculture/Ukranian/catholic settlement influence that Edmonton and Winnipeg share compared to the ranching/dryland/Scottish/RCMP/American/protestant history that is more pronounced in southern Alberta. These don't dont fully address the complexities of any of these places in 2022, but they crafted the form and funciton of the social and political institutions that continue to influence them today.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:53 PM

YQR burgers= George's Burgers

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:54 PM

Pizza= Slurpee

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
There's nothing bold about Alberta. Fundamentally it's a redneck attitude that has more in common with rural Ontario than the GTA. Edmonton could be a newer bigger London, while Calgary is Kitchener Waterloo with some gaudy high rise office towers.

This Spring/Summer, I visited every city between Ottawa and Edmonton, Winnipeg and Victoria, North Bay and Calgary. To my mind, all cities NW of the GTA* have a hard-edged, down-at-the-knees vibe, with simmering racial tension between the colonizers and Natives, with downtowns that feel like they've succumbed to suburbanization. They're Canadian make-work projects, in the way that many American state capitals feel.

(*Except Vancouver outside of the DES)
oof. As much as hate the way western alienation has been co-opted and weaponized by the conservative movement in Canada - posts like this remind why it is actually a real thing.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 11:50 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
oof. As much as hate the way western alienation has been co-opted and weaponized by the conservative movement in Canada - posts like this remind why it is actually a real thing.
How someone seriously thinks this way and wrote that post (you replied to)... I'll never understand

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 11:54 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Pizza= Slurpee
Ex-per-i-ence RE-GI-NA... Pizza

I still can't believe someone made this

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Ex-per-i-ence RE-GI-NA... Pizza

I still can't believe someone made this

Video Link
2022 Grey Cup theme song

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Yeah I'd mostly agree to that. I do thnk Edmonton has been pivoting in culture, politics, and identity over the last 10 years. Although I think in some ways that has moved the city away from Winnipeg, but in other ways towards.

Winnipeg is pretty good at not trying to be something it isn't. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it comes with a certain groundedness, but it can also be limiting.

Calgary refuses to limit itself, but in doing so it can feel like it is striving to be whatever it can to retain status leading to that sense of shallowness.

I feel like in the late 90s/early 00s Edmonton managed to latch onto some of the negatives of both of these. Loosing relative status to Calgary, and the inertia that came with it - but still trying to hold onto something that that was fleeting. That was the period of the greatest Calgary aspirations. But out of that also developed a groundedness that I think draws it closer to Winnipeg, and away from Calgary. However, a period of (mostly) rapid growth and money also offsets the intertia and bolstered the more Calgary-like optimism and simultaneously pulls it away from Winnipeg in many ways.

Not to say Edmonton is some perfect balance- it still struggles to find that line - often awkwardly - but is getting better.

There are also historical/cultural histories with the zone of fur-trade/Métis/agriculture/Ukranian/catholic settlement influence that Edmonton and Winnipeg share compared to the ranching/dryland/Scottish/RCMP/American/protestant history that is more pronounced in southern Alberta. These don't dont fully address the complexities of any of these places in 2022, but they crafted the form and funciton of the social and political institutions that continue to influence them today.
I'm not sure if you saw before I edited my post, but I changed some of what I originally stated that reflects:

Quote:

The youth and art scenes are a bit different too. Winnipeg feels more "alternative" and is full of wannabe '90s indie rockers. It's not like these kinds of people don't exist in Edmonton, but their social spaces aren't as prominent and the vibe doesn't pervade as strongly. I mean, Alberta's premier indie music festival isn't even in Edmonton, it's in Calgary. I think Edmonton had more of this in the past, but I was too young to be involved in it. The young people in Edmonton seem less punk now, and more aspirational, leaning towards glossier things. It's little things. In Edmonton, trendy ice cream places like Kind and Yelo'd have become a big deal for 20-somethings come spring whereas in Winnipeg you have classic ice cream institutions like Sargent Sundae and Bridge Drive-In. There's still trendy-bougie ice cream spots in Winnipeg, but they don't figure as prominently. These differences are subtle and not something you easily pick up on, but there seems to be a stronger bourgeois element in Edmonton that influences the local culture, including youth and arts. Politically, even though Edmonton is the more leftist hub for Alberta, Winnipeg is more leftist. Both have seen an uptick in radical, grassroots organizing, but it seems much more developed in Winnipeg. There's also a lot more postering and graffiti for political messaging than in Edmonton.
I think we're mostly agreeing. There was a notable shift in Edmonton's vibe over the past 10 years, due to the boom, but before that there was a lot more similarities between Edmonton and Winnipeg. Both cities were plagued by a kind of inertia and a sense of inferiority due to being left in the dust by others. Although even Winnipeg isn't as stagnant as it was then, the overall vibe of that city now is still a lot more like those days than in Edmonton. You could argue that True North Square is a (massively) scaled down version of the Ice District, but the sheer difference in scale is still very important and says a lot about what's going on economically and culturally in both cities.

The crux of it is that Edmonton has become more outwardly bourgeois and you can tell its trying to be like Calgary a bit, even though it's really not going to happen. This has shifted the culture away from being more like Winnipeg's, which is a bit grimier (in a good way), as Edmontonians get enticed by trendy gimmicks. 15 years ago, both Edmonton and Winnipeg had their best days behind them, even if those periods were different (1900s-1910s and 1950s for Winnipeg; 1970s-1980s for Edmonton). Today, the difference is that Edmonton had a new period of innovation and growth that made people forget about looking back. Winnipeg is still looking back.

Overall, I think Edmonton is kind of a blend of Calgary and Winnipeg, with its own unique quirks as well. It has the money and drive of Calgary but lacks its boldness. Edmonton seems bolder than Winnipeg, but within the Alberta context it may as well still be Winnipeg 2. Edmonton still isn't Calgary and I don't think it ever will be, no matter how aspirational it gets, because Edmonton is still fundamentally a different place. Like you mention, there's the shared cultural history of the Parkland Prairies between Edmonton and Winnipeg, but there's also other thing too, like the blue collar undercurrents of both cities, the government-university-healthcare economic centrality, etc. Even if they've shaken off the dust, both cities are still has-beens. Winnipeg is not really peers with Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton anymore, and Edmonton is still less prominent than Calgary. Thus they both still have an inferiority complex, even if Edmonton has done a better job of hiding it lately. This doesn't have to be a bad thing either; Montreal is a has-been relative to Toronto, but its arguably one of the best cities on the continent as a result.

You pick up on another important thing regarding Winnipeg: its groundedness. Winnipeg knows what it is, and has a better sense of place as a result. I don't know if Edmonton knows exactly what it is yet, but it isn't as successful as Calgary or Toronto at being limitless. But you're right, this groundedness can make Winnipeg a bit more limited and willing to rest on its laurels.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 1:38 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
2022 Grey Cup theme song
Definitely a true 'banger'

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 1:40 AM

Have to pull out the stats again, but I recall the "blue collar/white collar" difference between Calgary and Edmonton being quite evident but Regina and Saskatoon were basically identical socioeconomically.

2021 occupation and education stats are out next week I think.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 1:47 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Have to pull out the stats again, but I recall the "blue collar/white collar" difference between Calgary and Edmonton being quite evident but Regina and Saskatoon were basically identical socioeconomically.

2021 occupation and education stats are out next week I think.
Despite Regina having more downtown office space, shiny glass buildings downtown, to my eyes Saskatoon looked like the wealthier city. This was 8 years ago too before River landing, Remai museum were built.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 1:55 AM

That's the perception, I think.

A lot of people contrast "blue collar" Houston and "white collar" Dallas - in reality, there's little difference.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 4:06 AM

Present-day Winnipeg is culturally and functionally part of the prairies but I do find that there's a fairly distinct "assimilated inland New France city" typology which in Canada would also include Thunder Bay and Windsor, and to a lesser degree Ottawa; in the US, Minneapolis-St. Paul, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Louisville, and maybe a few others. There are common themes that show up in these cities' layouts, street names, block dimensions, colour palettes, and overall image/ethos. There are architectural similarities, especially in their early highrises, but also through other eras.

There are very small hints of this in Edmonton but not really anywhere else on the Prairies. Regina kind of feels like Winnipeg-minus-that to me. Edmonton feels largely of a different era.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
You could argue that True North Square is a (massively) scaled down version of the Ice District, but the sheer difference in scale is still very important and says a lot about what's going on economically and culturally in both cities.
I won't argue that Ice District is bigger than True North Square, but "massively scaled down" is an overstatement, IMO. If TNS had taken the Ice District approach of basically stacking an office tower on top of a residential tower, it would have resulted in a show-stopping new tallest tower similar to Stantec. That didn't happen, but there is still a hell of a lot there... TNS already has two towers built and occupied, one under construction and two more to go. Let's not forget the other True North affiliated development across Portage (Centrepoint) with a hotel tower, condo tower and offices. So 7 towers total, with the possibility of more down the road. And all that happened without having to give True North a king's ransom like Edmonton did to Katz.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I won't argue that Ice District is bigger than True North Square, but "massively scaled down" is an overstatement, IMO. If TNS had taken the Ice District approach of basically stacking an office tower on top of a residential tower, it would have resulted in a show-stopping new tallest tower similar to Stantec. That didn't happen, but there is still a hell of a lot there... TNS already has two towers built and occupied, one under construction and two more to go. Let's not forget the other True North affiliated development across Portage (Centrepoint) with a hotel tower, condo tower and offices. So 7 towers total, with the possibility of more down the road. And all that happened without having to give True North a king's ransom like Edmonton did to Katz.
True North Square has 2 short towers and 1 under construction. The Ice District has 2 tall towers and none under construction. The amount of buildings isn't that different. Both have more planned, not just TNS. Like in Winnipeg, there's also other new towers adjacent to the Ice District property (Ultima and Encore condos) and the affiliated Edmonton Tower that houses CoE employees. The number of buildings isn't that different, but Edmonton's are taller still.

Even if you wanted to argue that the square footage was identical, the way that Ice District is designed is a lot more "big city" feeling and substantial. The Ice District has Loblaw City Market, while True North Square has Hargrave Street Market. Both required a lot of municipal subsidization to come about. There's a lot of weird similarities between the two, but Edmonton's is much more grandiose.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 4:34 AM
recession proof

Both TNS & Ice District are mediocre: somewhat flashier in Edmonton, but of similar architectural merit you see in Ontario's suburban cities like Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton, Scarborough or downtown Kitchener. Out of scale with the historic surroundings, utilizing bland materials and derivative designs, windswept at grade. Akin to a jacked up Ram parked next to a Citroën DS.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 4:42 AM

Regina's Germantown sounds like a mini-North End:

http://digital.scaa.sk.ca/gallery/re...ermantown.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Interesting. I sort of see Regina as a mini-Winnipeg, and Saskatoon as a mini-Edmonton.
That's an insult to Saskatoon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada