HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 11:39 PM

10 Most expensive zip codes in the US

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 11:54 PM

I'm amazed there's a ZIP code where the median home sale price is $9 million.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 7:35 PM

I am assuming these are excluding those Manhattan zipcodes for individual buildings.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:47 PM

How do you pronounce "Sagaponack?" Is it "sag-uh-PON-ack"? Or "suh-GAP-uh-nack"?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:55 PM

It's the first pronunciation. Emphasis on "pon".

It's frequently just called "Sag". And the walkable/historic area is called Sag Harbor.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's the first pronunciation. Emphasis on "pon".

It's frequently just called "Sag". And the walkable/historic area is called Sag Harbor.
Thanks. I've heard of Sag Harbor, but not Sagaponack.

I remember in my teens when I learned a cousin moved to a place called Piscataway, NJ (she had sent an X-mas card with a new return address on it), and believe it or not, I wasn't sure how to pronounce Piscataway. I felt dumb, but then I remembered that some visitors to LA don't know how to pronounce "Cahuenga" or "Tujunga," or even "La Jolla."

I'll admit, I'm very California-centric, so a lot of northeastern US towns don't put a blip on my radar. Just some years ago I learned of a place called King of Prussia, PA.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I remember in my teens when I learned a cousin moved to a place called Piscataway, NJ (she had sent an X-mas card with a new return address on it), and believe it or not, I wasn't sure how to pronounce Piscataway. I felt dumb, but then I remembered that some visitors to LA don't know how to pronounce "Cahuenga" or "Tujunga," or even "La Jolla."

I'll admit, I'm very California-centric, so a lot of northeastern US towns don't put a blip on my radar. Just some years ago I learned of a place called King of Prussia, PA.
Or San Pedro

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

every region has place names that look funny to outsiders.

here in my neck of the woods, wisconsin has a lot of native-american derived place names that outsiders often struggle with and/or look a little sideways at, but my personal favorite is Oconomowoc, WI.

i can't trink of any other words that have five non-consecutive "o"'s in them.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:

In fairness, Sagaponack isn't commonly used, so I would bet many people in the NY area don't know how to pronounce it. Most locals do know how to pronounce Piscataway, though. It's also the location of Rutgers' football stadium, so most people that follow Big 10 football have heard it mentioned on TV.

Last edited by iheartthed; Dec 7, 2022 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:38 PM

Someone going there would say "I'm headed to Sag/Sag Harbor". Tons of Native American names on Long Island.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:56 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
I'm from New York State and only heard it referred to by Sag Harbor (by the Hamptons) as well. As soon as I saw "Sagaponack" I immediately knew it had to be somewhere on LI though.

As for Atherton, it's one of the more unassuming places; you can drive through it and not realize you are in one of the most $$$ areas in the country.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 9:19 PM
No grabbing my banana!

The three NY State zip codes are all in the Hamptons, which isn't surprising. Speaking of which, has anyone ever heard of the "Hamptons bladder" medical condition?

https://www.insider.com/hamptons-bla...e-botox-2022-6

This condition seems to be made up by the urologist who is being interviewed in this so-called "article" in order to convince people that they need to have botox injections or prostate surgery at his clinic in order to survive a traffic-plagued drive into the Hamptons on Friday evenings during the summer.

The urologist's claim that "there's nowhere to stop" is pretty laughable. I visited the region on Labor Day weekend, and there were plenty of towns and restaurants to stop at along the main road, even if you need to tip them a a couple of bucks to use their restrooms.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 9:30 PM

They could take the Hamptons Jitney (express bus from Manhattan/Brooklyn) or the Cannonball (express LIRR train from Manhattan/Queens). Both have bathrooms. Or the rich can take the Blade copters or seaplanes from Manhattan.

It is true that summer weekend traffic to the Hamptons sucks, but not exactly shocking. There's one road.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions