HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:33 PM

CFL 2022 season

Elks just hired Chris Jones as their GM and Head Coach. He has free reign to rebuild the once proud organization now.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:36 PM
Community Guy

Good to see. I like this move.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:25 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

… until he jumps ship again.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
… until he jumps ship again.
He wouldn't dare............right?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:39 AM

I doubt anyone in Edmonton is expecting Chris Jones to do anything more than put in a year or two of righting the ship before he moves on to the next shiny object.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:26 PM

I'm not holding out much hope he stays for the four years like he said he would. But if he wins, fans won't be too upset.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
I'm not holding out much hope he stays for the four years like he said he would. But if he wins, fans won't be too upset.
Yeah, it buys the Elks some time. But honestly, his premature departure pretty well put the team into the absolute tailspin that culminated in the disaster that was last season. Why would you go back to that guy? Sure he'll get you some short term wins, but he won't develop a long term winning culture. He's basically the world's greatest temp.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, it buys the Elks some time. But honestly, his premature departure pretty well put the team into the absolute tailspin that culminated in the disaster that was last season. Why would you go back to that guy? Sure he'll get you some short term wins, but he won't develop a long term winning culture. He's basically the world's greatest temp.
I wasn't 100% on board with his hire but a lot of players love him and they play the game, not me.

I guess we'll have to wait and see but history has a way of repeating itself.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 6:14 PM

He should be good to reset them atleast as he knows his stuff and is a winner. I wonder if Ottawa will go after Maier as qb this off-season. If they land him I think Calgary is in trouble as bo levi was in serious decline

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 6:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I wonder if Ottawa will go after Maier as qb this off-season.
I can see that happening. Burke knowing Masoli and Evans may give him a leg up in the 'wink wink nudge nudge' pre-FA negotiation period with either of them too. Maybe Ottawa signs a couple of known QBs to good deals and revamps most of the rest of the team with cheaper players. They have a relatively small number of current ones I'd keep or sign; may as well do a real and extensive rebuild there.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 8:05 PM

Stampeders just resigned Jake Maier pretty slim pickings for Ottawa and Edmonton at QB now.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 10:14 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

It kind of amazes me with the sheer number of NCAA QBs that every CFL team doesn’t have at least one decent QB. I guess it just proves how difficult that position is and how important a good O-Line is (just ask Mike Riley).

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 10:45 PM

CFL teams used to go after smaller more agile QB's in the 80's and 90's but seem to have gone after larger more pocket passers this past decade. NFL has gone the opposite route the past 10 years with guys like Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 6:06 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
It kind of amazes me with the sheer number of NCAA QBs that every CFL team doesn’t have at least one decent QB. I guess it just proves how difficult that position is and how important a good O-Line is (just ask Mike Riley).
The 12th defender (and extra player on offense), field size, time clock, motion, other rules and differences... they're a lot to digest for QBs that are only used to the American game. Many can't handle it, even if they have a lot of pro experience.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Time for the classic article

All-American CFL QB busts
They come to Canada and fail miserably
Bill Lankhof, Toronto Sun June 27, 2010

In a perfect world, Andre Ware could've been a Doug Flutie clone; T.J. Rubley would've been Anthony Calvillo before anyone this side of Utah State knew there was an Anthony Calvillo, and Jason Gesser should've been a household name today beyond his own living-room walls.

Woulda.

Coulda.

Shoulda.

They are the all-American kids and along with such luminous college football icons as Eric Crouch, Akili Smith, Don McPherson, Tommie Frazier, Tony Rice and Major Harris, there was every indication that they were perfectly suited to conquer the Canadian Football League.

The scouting reports said they had it all - strong of arm and will, quick or fast or both. They should've been able to capture a country's football ideals.

Instead, they flashed through our universe like a phoenix that could not raise itself beyond mediocrity in a game they often never grew to understand.

Instead, they are just names on a long list of Heisman Trophy winners and contenders, superb, all-American athletes who could thrive in front of a hundred thousand screaming faithful in the temples of U.S. college ball but floundered on a Canadian prairie pasture or in Hogtown and Steeltown in front of family and friends and half-empty stadiums.

Tales of Cinderella turned Medusa.

How can this happen?

Not just once to the oft-impugned refugee from the NFL, Vince Ferragamo, but to the brightest and the best of U.S. college football.

Over. And over.

Generation to generation.

To NCAA champions such as Tee Martin, to first-round NFL picks such as Smith, to Heisman winners such as Crouch and to Brad Banks, winner of a Davey O'Brien Award presented annually to the best quarterback in U.S. college football.

"Players may have tremendous success in a high-profile university. They may become household names just because their games are being televised all the time and they may be on very good teams. And, as personnel people (scouts) we do get enamoured at times by great athletes, by players who have name recognition. But that doesn't always translate into a good pro football player," says Jim Popp, general manager of Montreal's Alouettes.

If it did translate, then Ware, coming from the University of Houston's run-and-shoot offence, should've been the perfect candidate to orchestrate a pass-happy CFL offence.

But as a CFL quarterback he makes a great colourman on ESPN.

If Heisman translated into hoser-speak, Crouch or Cody Pickett would be the Argonauts' starting quarterback today.

But, notes former CFL quarterback and CFL hall of famer Matt Dunigan in pithy grace: "There's a bunch of guys who roll up here with all kinds of athletic ability and they just (dirty) the bed."

The reasons are many and varied:

One reason many college or NFL players never find success and glory in the CFL is because they can't play outside a mould.

They were "system quarterbacks" in college, says Jim Barker, who spent the past five seasons scouting U.S. colleges for the Calgary Stampeders before signing on as head coach in 2010 to rebuild the Argonauts.

"In college, and sometimes in the NFL too, they build systems that suit the quarterbacks. Here we usually don't. We ask quarterbacks to adapt to the system," says Barker, "and at the pro level, a quarterback needs to be in a system that suits his abilities. When I got Tommy Maddox (in Los Angeles when they won the XFL championship) he had played for years in Dan Reeves' (Denver) offence which didn't suit what he does - play action, deep drop. His whole deal is getting the ball out of his hand quickly. That's when he's most effective. When he went on to Pittsburgh in the NFL and they put him in that situation, he flourished."

Paul Masotti reached the zenith of his success in the CFL in the Toronto catching passes from Flutie, who made the leap from Boston College to the CFL without a hitch. But Masotti also saw a lot of great athletes who went on to careers as high school coaches.

There was Mike McMahon who went from setting records at Rutgers to the Detroit Lions to the Argonauts to unemployed. And Syracuse great Marvin Graves. Great skill sets. But ...

"That's the thing. They could get away with just being great athletes in college when they had the system built around them. The perfect example would be (Crouch)," says Masotti. "They ran the option, some designated pass plays, but when players come up here the defences and offences are more sophisticated and there's one less down to get it done ... "

Crouch survived less than two seasons in the CFL. He is a free agent, a CFL refugee with nowhere to go at last check.

Major Harris was twice a Heisman contender and such a great talent that he left West Virginia University early.

"I thought he'd be a star up here," says Masotti.

Instead he was gone after one season, played a few years of Arena ball and retired. All those glitzy numbers in the NCAA didn't add up to success in the CFL.

"The college co-ordinators will gear their entire offence towards what a guy can do. That was the case with Harris," says Masotti. "They adjusted their offence to suit his assets. Whereas when he went to B.C., it was tough. He came in as the backup and now he's got to adjust to a system he's not used to, something that isn't his forte."

Too often American players think they're just too good for the CFL.

Harsh, maybe. But true.

More than once an All-American has arrived with talent exceeded only by their ego. But seldom does someone step from the college, or even the NFL ranks, into a starting role as a CFL quarterback.

Ricky Ray and Doug Flutie were anomalies. Most successful starting quarterbacks in the CFL spend three to five years in apprenticeship as backups. Calvillo became one of the CFL's greatest quarterbacks but it took years before he got a job as a starter and eight years before his first all-star nomination.

"If they are big-time stars in the NCAA and all of a sudden they have to take a back seat as the backup quarterback, a lot of guys can't handle it. A lot of guys don't want to handle it," says Popp, "they want out."

Going from big man on campus to holding a clipboard for someone playing ahead of them that they've never heard of can be a harsh reality check.

"I've met a few guys who come up here who are just disappointed that they didn't make the NFL and that they're in the CFL. They get down, depressed and maybe don't work so hard," says Argonauts backup QB Dalton Bell.

Texas-born, he was the third-stringer last year in Saskatchewan after leading West Texas A&M to a 20-4 record in two seasons as a starter. American kids, he says, never see Canadian football and few understand what it's all about until they get here. It's difficult to respect what you don't know.

"It's a different game than we grew up with down there. I maybe saw one CFL game when I was growing up. Where I'm from, it's football, football and our way of playing football is the way it is. At least that's how people think."

So, too many arrive believing that what works in the NCAA will work even better in the football hinterland of Canada.

"There are players who come up here and have no idea of the calibre of this league," says Barker. "They expect, 'Oh, I'll sign with the CFL, play there for a year and then go to the NFL.' That happens more often than the NFL or college guy who comes up here and embraces the game. If a guy can do that, he can have a great career.

"It's the guy who thinks he's coming up here for a year to show his stuff and then go on to something better - that is never succesful. He just doesn't have the right mindset.

"The guy who does that usually gets cut and often they never get another chance down there either. It happens all the time." Dunigan, who threw for a little more than 43,000 yards and had 306 passing TDs during his 14-year career in the CFL, remembers McMahon as a player who had the skill set to play up here. "But if you don't respect this game and you come up here and think you will master it, you've got another thing coming. "That's been the case with quite a few people. "They come up here not respecting the game and thinking they're going to own it. "That it's going to be just a stepping stone." Ready, set ... Duh!

Canadian football can make a college kid's head spin. It's big-play oriented. The motion can be confusing, the field is bigger and there's an extra player on each side. "I just think it's a different kind of offence. They can't get their head around it. It's just such a big jump," says Masotti. Throws have to go farther, defences are different. There's more room to run, but with the ball in the air longer, there's also more time for defensive backs to intercept inaccurate throws. "It's a big adjustment for any quarterback. When they get on the field the first time with all the motion and guys running all over the place, it's a big shock," says Bob O'Billovich, general manager of the Hamilton Ticats and a player, coach and CFL executive since 1963. "It does take time to get used to the nuances and how to be effective.

Being tagged as a Heisman candidate doesn't mean a lot except that you don't win the Heisman unless you have some ability. "You have to gauge that against what we do in our league. We're a big-play league with aggressive offensive systems. "Some guys take advantage of their opportunities - and with other guys it never happens.

Andre Ware was a guy with whom it never did click and he came out of a passing offence in college. He wasn't consistent enough." Masotti says on the surface the CFL looked like a league made for Ware, who retired in 1999 after three nondescript CFL seasons. "It should've been perfect. But he came up and just didn't make the adjustments. (The run-and-shoot offence) is also a tough offence for linemen to protect because you need a quarterback who can get rid of the ball quickly. It's a couple steps and it's got to be gone. If you don't have a quarterback who can read it properly the guy is going to get hit a lot." Goodbye, Andre.

The Canadian game may actually be more complicated for a quarterback than the NFL or NCAA. Cleo Lemon, in his first training camp with the Argonauts after eight seasons with four NFL teams, says with one fewer down with which to work "there's definitely more pressure. One small mistake and it's a turnover or you're kicking field goals or punting - instead of scoring touchdowns."

In Montreal, Popp has watched for three seasons as Calvillo, the future CFL hall of famer, has been mentor to Chris Leak, who led the University of Florida Gators to a national title and Adrian McPherson, a superstar at Florida State. There are those in the U.S. who simply cannot understand how either could be playing behind a guy from Utah State, who once auditioned for a pro-quarterback job in a Las Vegas parking lot and whom they've barely heard of but, says Popp: "The CFL game is different especially for the quarterback. When you get under centre in major college or the NFL, there's only one guy who can be in motion. Everything is pretty stationary and you can predetermine and make your decisions based on where people are placed on the field. When you snap the ball, you know where you are going with the ball. "In the CFL you have to do a lot of reads on the run. I don't care how long you've played quarterback, the issue is a lot of times guys come to our league and they have NEVER seen anything like this. "They get under centre, there's four guys in motion. There's four DBs running all over the place and the ball is snapped and now they're trying to figure out what the coverage is (zone or man-to-man). "A lot of guys get eliminated right there because they can't handle it."

There are moments in football, as in life, that do not make sense. So, looks can be deceiving. Successful college quarterbacks aren't necessarily great quarterbacks. As Popp notes, "There are a lot of college quarterbacks every year who get drafted but can't play in the NFL or the CFL. "Some guys play for such great schools that their weaknesses are covered up because their teams were so strong," says Popp.

It likely didn't hurt Tee Martin in 1998 when he led Tennessee to its first national title since 1951 to have Jamal Lewis in the backfield or Peerless Price and Jeremaine Copeland at receiver. Players such as Crouch or Harris may have looked the part of a CFL player but Dunigan suspects that what separates the successful quarterback from those who fade into footnotes has less to do with speed, agility or physical talent - and more to do with what's between their ears. "I've thought about this for 27 years since coming up here. Being a quarterback in this league is a job. I'm not saying those guys didn't treat it as one. But it's an approach.

"Some people seize opportunities and others don't. What's missing? I don't think you can categorize all those guys as missing the same thing. But, with each one, something was missing. "The best way to describe their lack of success is to describe what it takes to be successful. You look at someone like Damon Allen, (Tommy) Clements, Tracy Ham, (Dave) Dickenson, Calvillo, back to Condredge Holloway and Warren Moon; these guys brought some athleticism with them. Their arm strength varied, but every one of those guys had a sense of toughness. "They were physically tough, but what set them apart was their mental toughness, their willingness to learn and understand the mental aspect of the game."

When it comes to a CFL quarterback the only sure bet is that there is no such thing as a sure bet. It was May of 2005 and Barker, then in his first season scoping talent for the Stampeders, had earlier seen Gesser at Washington State tie with Carson Palmer for Pac-10 offensive player of the year honours. "I liked him so much I traded a first-round draft pick to get the rights to him," says Barker. "I thought he'd make a great CFL quarterback." He started the season as Henry Burris' backup, started two games and finished the season with four touchdown passes. He was also intercepted five times, completing 23 of 42 passes and the next season was in the Arena Football League. Today, Gesser is head football coach of Eastside Catholic School in Sammamish, WA. Carson Palmer is in the NFL and Barker is a smarter, more cautious man. "The only way you can tell if a player can be successful here is to bring him up and let him play. (Vince) Ferragamo was a very successful QB (in the NFL) and couldn't do it up here. "Akili Smith was a quarterback who with his skill set I thought would be very successful here. Maybe kicking around the NFL a few years he hasn't had success and he comes here and things go wrong, maybe he questions how good he really is and it all caves on him. "You just don't know how a guy is going to react mentally and what he is going to do when he comes up here. "From a scouting perspective it's impossible to know who is going to be successful."

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 8:20 PM

Another blast from the past. The Roy Hobbs of the CFL (without the happy ending unfortunately) To clarify, Lumsden's career ending short.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 10:03 PM

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/02/h...rts-group-hsg/

Hamilton Tiger-Cats expand ownership with formation of Hamilton Sports Group (HSG

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Forge FC have announced that a new ownership structure with the creation of Hamilton Sports Group (HSG). The new entity will own and operate both the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Forge FC as well as a master license agreement with Tim Hortons Field.

The existing ownership group will retain majority ownership and continue to manage the teams. “Caretaker” Bob Young will remain as the chair and largest single shareholder of Hamilton Sports Group.

Young welcomes a group of passionate and experienced community leaders to the expanded ownership group which includes Hamilton-based company Stelco along with senior sports executives Scott Mitchell (current CEO for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Forge FC) and Jim Lawson (CEO of Woodbine Entertainment).

“My goal as Caretaker has been to ensure our teams prosper for at least another 153 years. We will do this through a commitment to strong values. Ours include a commitment to serve our community and demonstrating leadership through the pursuit of excellence. Our new Hamilton Sports Group partners perfectly represent the values we aspire to, and they will ensure our continued success,” said Young in a press release.

A leader in the Hamilton region for over a century, Stelco has a long and proud history in supporting and promoting the local business and sports community. Stelco’s chairman and CEO Alan Kestenbaum will represent the company’s ownership position. A long-time football lover, Kestenbaum is also currently a minority owner of the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons.

“Stelco is thrilled to partner with Hamilton Sports Group and the entire Tiger-Cats and Forge FC organizations. They put a tremendous product on the field in both sports, and represent Hamilton proudly, much like Stelco,” said Kestenbaum.

“This is an overdue union of two Hamilton icons, with Stelco’s 110+ year history in Hamilton and the Tiger-Cats’ own history in the city dating back over 150 years. We are excited by the growth prospects of both teams and their respective leagues as new media opportunities continue to be embraced and live sports content remains the preeminent source of entertainment globally.”

Scott Mitchell becomes managing partner and CEO of Hamilton Sports Group and lead league governor for both the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Forge FC. Mitchell has been with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 2008 when he was appointed [resident and has served as the CEO of Bob Young Group of Canadian Companies since 2015. Mitchell, along with Bob Young, is also a co-founder of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) and its commercial partner, Canada Soccer Business (CSB).

“This is an incredibly exciting time to be a Hamilton sports fan. This new structure ensures our leadership and vision remains in place while adhering to Bob Young’s ‘Caretaker’ ethos as stewards of the community and its professional sports teams,” said Mitchell.

“We are incredibly excited about bringing on Stelco under the leadership of Alan Kestenbaum and his executive team and know they share our enthusiasm for our community and for bringing great events and experiences to Tim Hortons Field.”

Longtime sports executive and Hamilton native Jim Lawson brings extensive experience to the new ownership group. Lawson has been the CEO of Woodbine Entertainment since 2015 and is a former chair of the CFL board of governors, twice serving as interim commissioner.

“I have a long family history with the city of Hamilton and the Tiger-Cats that spans three generations. The passion of the fans and community support is unmatched. I am absolutely thrilled to join Bob and the new ownership group and look forward to helping make our team perennial winners,” said Lawson.

Hamilton Sports Group teams have both experienced recent successes. The Tiger-Cats hosted and played in the CFL’s 108th Grey Cup last month in what was the team’s second consecutive appearance. Forge FC are one of the inaugural teams in the CPL, winning back-to-back titles in 2019 and 2020 and will compete in the 2022 CONCACAF Champions League.

Tim Hortons Field will host an upcoming FIFA World Cup qualification match between Canada and the United States. Other notable events scheduled at Tim Hortons Field include the Buffalo Sabres hosting the Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL’s 2022 Heritage Classic in March, and the 110th Grey Cup which will be hosted by the Tiger-Cats in 2023.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 6:35 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Hamilton Tiger-Cats expand ownership with formation of Hamilton Sports Group (HSG)
Shuffling deck chairs. This changes little. But Stelco coming aboard is a good thing, though that's basically a holding company trying to make money selling new-ish parts of the old one.

I think Young is positioning his exit. Maybe he hoped to go out with a bang -- a "Mike is Watching" win in the big game at home, but since that did not happen...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 2:22 PM

I think Young is foreseeing the rapid decline/collapse of the league and is trying to pull it while he's still ahead

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I think Young is foreseeing the rapid decline/collapse of the league and is trying to pull it while he's still ahead
Why do you continue with the the lame trolling? Isn't there an NFL or TFC forum for you to praise?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada