HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 4:32 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
It was the Golden Age. Although, me thinks that the time we met was at McKibbins. There was a smoked meat there, and I recall meeting you, Habsfan, Serge, Bilo, Patrick Scantland, Elsonic (none of these guys still post on SSP)...and maybe 4-5 others. Good times.
You are right. I think I gave kool maudit a ride home in my ford focus one of those nights..

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 4:48 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
I was at the SSP meet up in Toronto for Doors Open a good at least decade or two ago and met MikeToronto in person among others.
Jealous.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 4:52 AM
Volatile Pacivist

So sad that Mike left the site. He was a fixture here for many years.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:01 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
It was the Golden Age. Although, me thinks that the time we met was at McKibbins. There was a smoked meat there, and I recall meeting you, Habsfan, Serge, Bilo, Patrick Scantland, Elsonic (none of these guys still post on SSP)...and maybe 4-5 others. Good times.
Yes, it was McKibbins. My bad.

Did you ever meet kool maudit, Molson?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 1:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Yes, it was McKibbins. My bad.

Did you ever meet kool maudit, Molson?
I don't think I ever did. I am sure he would be a very interesting person to meet.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:10 PM
sick transit, gloria

I was at the Toronto meet in 2006(?) and met MikeToronto as well as a number of other forumers - both current and former. Big American contingent at that one. Also met harls in Ottawa / Gatineau on a number of occasions I believe. Still likely have a picture way back in my facebook from a pub in Gatineau from one of those! Definitely the peak of SSP, and wish I could have made it to one of the Montreal meetups back then.

Much more recently (pre-COVID though) I met up with kool maudit on a trip of his back to Canada. I still also chat with a few former members via fb/instagram or when they happen to be in town on occasion.

Last edited by niwell; Nov 23, 2022 at 1:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Jealous.
He would be a very interesting forum member to discuss retail hierarchy with and the tragic issues impacting the malls of Bari.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
He would be a very interesting forum member to discuss retail hierarchy with and the tragic issues impacting the malls of Bari.
Indeed. Artisanal cupcake emporiums and completely redesigned, overly ambitious GTA bus routes.

I kind of miss him. The forum definitely has fewer interesting characters than it once did.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
This kind of reminds me of when people used to point out that Chicago and Toronto both have 7-letter indigenous-derived names ending in the letter 'O' as a commonality.
The debate about the #2 skyline in North America (Chi-town and Hog-town) will obviously continue unabated for the next decade or 3.

But in the (Indigenous) NAME GAME, I'd venture there's a clear winner:

1. Most believe the name Toronto is derived from the Mohawk word “Tkaranto” meaning “where there are trees standing in the water.”

NOTE: others believe that Toronto is derived from the Huron word “toronton” which means “meeting place” or “abundance of people”… which certainly foreshadows the human mosiac of the city today.

2. Chicago is a French translation of the Miami-Illinois word “shikaakwa” or “Stinky Onion” (garlic) which grows along the Chicago River.

So... “where there are trees standing in water” (alternatively “meeting place”) or “stinky onion”? Voting is currently underway.*

*The early poll returns show a likely Canadian victory on this important urban identifier.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:55 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I was at the Toronto meet in 2006(?) and met MikeToronto as well as a number of other forumers - both current and former. Big American contingent at that one. Also met harls in Ottawa / Gatineau on a number of occasions I believe. Still likely have a picture way back in my facebook from a put in Gatineau from one of those! Definitely the peak of SSP, and wish I could have made it to one of the Montreal meetups back then.

Much more recently (pre-COVID though) I met up with kool maudit on a trip of his back to Canada. I still also chat with a few former members via fb/instagram or when they happen to be in town on occasion.
I remember going to the last Expos game in 2004 with Philly forumer Giovanni Sasso. I wish he was still around. That guy was great!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Giovanni Sasso
Wow. there is a blast from the past.

A lot of formerly prolific forumers have disappeared from SSP.
LMich
Evergrey
Dr. Nevergold
Surrealplaces
Freeweed
rockyi
SHiRO
harryc
Sulley
JChurch
Lecom
Wooster
Mr.X
Boris2k7
Ayreonaut
The Watusi (this guy was hilarious back in the TalB/Daquan13 era)

and many others.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:50 PM
sick transit, gloria

I remember all of those forumers seeing them listed but wouldn't have been able to pull a list like that together from memory. Arbeiter is another one that comes to mind who's posts I always enjoyed (just checked and he hasn't been here since 2011!).

Got to meet up with Boris2k7 in Calgary for a mini-tour and some beers years ago. Was fun! Always wanted to meet up with Gio - he seemed like good times.

I'm still in contact with KeninOttawa who used to post in the Canada section a fair bit, and have met up for beers when he's been in Toronto (no longer lives in Canada).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Wow. there is a blast from the past.

A lot of formerly prolific forumers have disappeared from SSP.
LMich
Evergrey
Dr. Nevergold
Surrealplaces
Freeweed
rockyi
SHiRO
harryc
Sulley
JChurch
Lecom
Wooster
Mr.X
Boris2k7
Ayreonaut
The Watusi (this guy was hilarious back in the TalB/Daquan13 era)

and many others.
You forgot the Woot Woot poster

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:43 PM

Pedestrian and 10023 both "quit" due to pride -- in both cases, they just never came back after a suspension.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:44 PM

One active Canadian poster who's gone too (without explanations) is "mistercorporate". I really liked him.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Pedestrian and 10023 both "quit" due to pride -- in both cases, they just never came back after a suspension.
Good riddance to "Pedestrian." I hope "JMKeynes" the anti-Semite is next.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:02 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
I'm still in contact with KeninOttawa who used to post in the Canada section a fair bit, and have met up for beers when he's been in Toronto (no longer lives in Canada).
Yep, still friends with that dude too.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 5:39 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Got to meet up with Boris2k7 in Calgary for a mini-tour and some beers years ago. Was fun! Always wanted to meet up with Gio - he seemed like good times.
Gio/Brad is a really good dude. I hung out with him in Vancouver a decade ago.

He's active on IG.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 8:36 PM
Mooderator

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blix61...ith/322634669/

I see Yarabundi, GDS, Serge, Habsfan, MTL-514, TV-Man, Floraleca (spelling?) , BD.. did I miss someone? Bueller?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 8:45 PM

What about vid? Didn't he have the record for most posts on the forum? I swear it was like 60,000+.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada