HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:16 PM

Let's dissect a few things.

Quote:
Mockups for the building, named for the Anishinaabemowin word for “storytelling,” reveal what looks like an IKEA store on steroids, a melamine monument to a broken procurement process where the lowest price is the law.
An IKEA store is a blue and yellow box. Not seeing it at all.

Quote:
Never mind a design competition, or the thought of prioritizing aesthetics over cost.
They did "interview" quite a few teams of architects, and the lead picked has quite a good reputation nationally.

Quote:
This building, destined for the edge of a field along a traffic thoroughfare,
Major improvements coming to Albert, with wide sidewalks and bike lanes.

Quote:
seven minutes away on foot from the nearest LRT station,
As Harley pointed out, that is quite an exaggeration.

Quote:
at the bottom of an escarpment that cuts the building off from the city,
It's about mid-way down the escarpment.

Quote:
will be the off-brand version of the Calgary or Halifax libraries: an unimaginative pastiche of function over form.
I agree Calgary did it better, but I never understood why Halifax's library is presented as being such a masterpiece. It's a fine building well suited for a mid-sized city, but would have been quite a disappointment had it been built in Ottawa first.

Quote:
Adisoke will reside on the edge of LeBreton at 555 Albert St., right at the southbound turnoff for Bronson Avenue — a strange no man’s land flanked by condo buildings. It is part of the city’s enduring commitment to turn LeBreton Flats into something more than a big empty field.
Condo dwellers don't deserve easy access to a library?

Quote:
The better solution, McKenney says, would have been to take a page from Calgary’s library and integrate the Pimisi LRT station right into Adisoke.
There's no station integrated into Calgary's Library. It's just built over the tracks. It's a little closer to the nearest station, granted not uphill, but requires crossing one or two signalized intersections, so probably a wash time wise.

Quote:
And include housing, including affordable units, on top of the library, they add.
That cheapens a project, IMO, like OAG with a hotel/condo tower on top, the municipal institution feels like an afterthought. I think most would agree that a stand alone building has a greater impact.

Quote:
“And then, make transit free from, I don’t know, U of O and Pimisi, or U of O and even Tunney’s [Pasture]. That means that essentially, the central library for anyone living in that whole area is as close as your nearest transit station,” McKenney says.
I prefer lowering fares rather than creating a free transit zone. That said, free evenings and weekends might be interesting to explore.

Quote:
Central to all this nonsense is the man of the hour: Mayor Jim Watson. He is the so-called puppeteer of the “Watson Club,” the derisive name given to the councillors who vote with him more often than they vote against him, and the person ultimately responsible for the decline of the Ottawa core.
He supported the rail tunnel to get buses off the street, the, well you know, central library, the OAG, rebuilding Rideau, Elgin Street, Lansdowne Park, significant cycling improvements, countless private development projects. Watson was suburban minded much of the time, but overall still was good to the downtown core as well. The one thing we can reproach him for is keeping urban Councillors off the City's Leadership boards and terrible urban transit.

The library won't be an international showpiece, but will be an impressive build nationally, I believe, if a little short of landmark status. The location seems odd today, but with the development of LeBreton Flats, it will make more sense. At its current location, it will stand on its own as a local landmark, visible from multiple viewpoints, including from the Portage Bridge. Had it been built in the CBD, it may have been a bit lost in a forest of towers. Similarly if it had been built at Pimisi station. Between the Library, the War Museum and (hopefully) the arena, LeBreton will have 3 solid anchors to build upon a fantastic new district for locals and tourists alike.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:15 PM

A journalist can't let the facts get in the way of a good story though.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Let's dissect a few things.

An IKEA store is a blue and yellow box. Not seeing it at all.

They did "interview" quite a few teams of architects, and the lead picked has quite a good reputation nationally.

Major improvements coming to Albert, with wide sidewalks and bike lanes.

As Harley pointed out, that is quite an exaggeration.

It's about mid-way down the escarpment.

I agree Calgary did it better, but I never understood why Halifax's library is presented as being such a masterpiece. It's a fine building well suited for a mid-sized city, but would have been quite a disappointment had it been built in Ottawa first.

Condo dwellers don't deserve easy access to a library?

There's no station integrated into Calgary's Library. It's just built over the tracks. It's a little closer to the nearest station, granted not uphill, but requires crossing one or two signalized intersections, so probably a wash time wise.

That cheapens a project, IMO, like OAG with a hotel/condo tower on top, the municipal institution feels like an afterthought. I think most would agree that a stand alone building has a greater impact.

I prefer lowering fares rather than creating a free transit zone. That said, free evenings and weekends might be interesting to explore.

He supported the rail tunnel to get buses off the street, the, well you know, central library, the OAG, rebuilding Rideau, Elgin Street, Lansdowne Park, significant cycling improvements, countless private development projects. Watson was suburban minded much of the time, but overall still was good to the downtown core as well. The one thing we can reproach him for is keeping urban Councillors off the City's Leadership boards and terrible urban transit.

The library won't be an international showpiece, but will be an impressive build nationally, I believe, if a little short of landmark status. The location seems odd today, but with the development of LeBreton Flats, it will make more sense. At its current location, it will stand on its own as a local landmark, visible from multiple viewpoints, including from the Portage Bridge. Had it been built in the CBD, it may have been a bit lost in a forest of towers. Similarly if it had been built at Pimisi station. Between the Library, the War Museum and (hopefully) the arena, LeBreton will have 3 solid anchors to build upon a fantastic new district for locals and tourists alike.
A lot of good points here and plenty that I agree with. Thanks for going through the earlier reply element by element and offering an opposing viewpoint for everyone to consider!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:57 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

RE: Location... Where else in the central area of Ottawa are you going to get a prime parcel of land like this? I think this is a great location personally. I will reserve final judgement until I see the realignment of Albert and Slater but all the drawings I have seen show a marked improvement to the area.

Currently across the street is a weird hap hazard zone but that will definitely change for the better.

I also like the styling of the building. Very reminiscent of the Museum of Canadian history across the river. One of the loveliest structures I've ever had the pleasure of walking around inside and out. Seriously... if nobody on this forum has ever prowled the exterior grounds of that museum go and do so, I suggest at night. It is the most amazingly layered and tangible grounds that pair so nicely with the building itself.

All the renders I see suggest this library will feel like a sibling to the museum and I love its free flowing non linear structure. I am quite eager to see this come to life.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:56 PM

The only, more central locations that were seriously discussed was the Technical High School and where M+M is building their project at Lyon and Albert (old Alterna site). Considering M+M's project, glad that one fell through in hindsight.

There were some off the cuff suggestions like the Market (Clarence garage replacement) and Confederation Park, but those were never seriously considered.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:00 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
The only, more central locations that were seriously discussed was the Technical High School and where M+M is building their project at Lyon and Albert (old Alterna site). Considering M+M's project, glad that one fell through in hindsight.

There were some off the cuff suggestions like the Market (Clarence garage replacement) and Confederation Park, but those were never seriously considered.
Those are fair considerations but at the end of the day you would just be corralled into a random downtown block. This spot is a little bit different and has some cache to it. Arguably one of the best remaining lots available. I'd love to hear a brainstorm on where it could have been placed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:18 PM

If you look back to Citizen article referenced in post #314:

Quote:
Seven city-owned sites were identified that are within or near the downtown core and close to a planned station on the Confederation line.

The sites are: 7 Bayview Rd., 557 Wellington St., 156-160 Lyon St., 110 Laurier Ave. W., 70 Clarence St., 300 Coventry Rd., and 141 Bayview Rd.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:20 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
You are a god tier individual sir. Grazie

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Going to note for another comment, a 7 min walk at the avg walking speed of 1.4m/s is ~588meters the only way you get that is be suggesting someone is walking from booth st all the way to the farthest east door of the library. Instead of the west door and the lower path exit.

7 Bayview Rd - https://www.google.com/maps/place/7+...!4d-75.7280263

557 Wellington St - Chosen Location

156-160 Lyon St - https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...87!4d-75.70443

110 Laurier Ave - City Hall - https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-75.6915904

70 Clarence St. - Byward Market - https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-75.6989241

300 Coventry Rd. - Baseball Stadium - https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...38!4d-75.65407

141 Bayview Rd - https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...4!4d-75.722552

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:35 PM

Thanks Roger and William.

Bayview is a bit too out of the way, but has the advantage of being at a transit interchange. City Hall would have taken out well used Marian Dewar Plaza and Rink of Dreams (or at least part and boxed them in). Clarence site is a bit small, and the Market really dosen't need the boost. Not sure a library really goes with the vibe anyway. Coventry, dear Lord no!!

Agreed with Ponyboy, Lyon location would have been a bit lost in the sea of towers. Great for the area, close to offices and condos, but it wouldn't stand out on its own as it will with the chosen site. Though a simmilar spot works in Calgary and Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 10:28 PM

Another point; the site bridges the gap between the CBD and LeBreton Flats. We still have quite the dead zone from Bay to the Library however, with the Ottawa Tech, parking, an open grass field they call and park and a mix of heritage buildings in various condition.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 5:31 PM

A second crane has been erected on the site.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 6:46 PM

Indeed it is!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 5:03 PM

Such a shallow excavation. They'll be at grade in no time. I guess there isn't going to be much parking?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Such a shallow excavation. They'll be at grade in no time. I guess there isn't going to be much parking?
200 spots actually:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/council-ap...rary-1.5640640

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Why do we need parking if we're right next to an o-Train station? (this is a rhetorical question based on debates during the design).

I think 200 is a good amount. Going to be premium parking during Bluesfest.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Ādisōke
@Adisoke

Work is going smoothly on Ādisōke. The first suspended slabs for the parking garage have started to be poured! Learn more: http://bit.ly/3S0mj6D

2:50 PM · Nov 9, 2022
·Twitter Web App
https://mobile.twitter.com/Adisoke/s...Cl7ZWorJIsAAAA

Quote:
Ādisōke
@Adisoke
The Ādisōke project site has been busy! Check out our latest construction update: http://bit.ly/3S0mj6D

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Ādisōke
@Adisoke
The Ādisōke project site has been busy! Check out our latest construction update: http://bit.ly/3S0mj6D
10:40 AM · Oct 26, 2022
·Twitter Web App
https://mobile.twitter.com/Adisoke/s...C-nfWDhoAsAAAA

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 11:40 PM

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 12:25 AM

^was this taken recently? if so its going really slowly!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
^was this taken recently? if so its going really slowly!
Today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa