HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
On the distant horizon across Lake Ontario, is that New York state barely visible, or just clouds? I've been told that you can see the Toronto skyline from New York state shoreline, so I guess it works the other way. Chicago skyline is visible from Michigan on a clear day. Skyline shots from across big bodies of water are cool. Wonder if you could see New York from Philadelphia and vis versa on a really clear day from a tall building? Boston from New York?...doubt it. But maybe Boston is visible from Provincetown on Cape Cod?
You can see a lot from certain geographic points, even without being in a tall building. I was overlooking the Neville Park Ravine in East Toronto at the corner of Victoria Park Avenue and Bracken Avenue. I could see the Skylon Tower, Sheraton Hotel tower, Fallsview, and even the mist from the falls from that lookout sometime in late October.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Los Angeles, California | February 2019

L.A.'s skyline is among the prettiest in the world, especially after a winter storm over the mountains. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Miami:

Miami skyline by LEX, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Miami:
Cool shot, Chris! I love this pic! I like different color combinations. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful photo!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 2:37 AM
Ex Houstonian

Photo I got last night of downtown Cincinnati.

ACV_1289 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 3:05 AM

Smile Philly skyline more impressive than LA skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Gorgeous shot.

I realize L.A. is a very, very complicated, massive creature.. and if you can't master earthquake engineering issues, you can't build.

But on a skyscraper forum I'm always suprised to see L.A. in the top lists. Philly beats it.

If urban density plus skyline was a prerequisite .. lol.. a dozen towers wouldn't make the cut. Freeways etc.

But photogenic for sure.
Yes I find the philly skyline more impressive than LA. It has more architecture and more historical buildings. It looks way better than LA especially from the air.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 1:09 AM
Ex Houstonian

Was at Fort Niagara in NY yesterday and the Toronto skyline is pretty bad ass from there. Was going to do some night photos but it started snowing super hard and you couldn't see the skyline anymore.

ACV_1464 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Photo I got last night of downtown Cincinnati.
Added to my favorites! I love night scene photos. This photo is really amazing! The reflection of colorful lights on the water makes this pic more beautiful!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 4:27 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Was at Fort Niagara in NY yesterday and the Toronto skyline is pretty bad ass from there. Was going to do some night photos but it started snowing super hard and you couldn't see the skyline anymore.

ACV_1464 by photolitherland, on Flickr
That answers my question. You CAN see Toronto from New York. With its proximity to Toronto, sooner or later Buffalo could do better. I should probably start buying Buffalo/Niagara Falls properties. Prximity to Toronto a big plus.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy-in-TheLoop. View Post
Yes I find the philly skyline more impressive than LA. It has more architecture and more historical buildings. It looks way better than LA especially from the air.
L.A. has more tall buildings and more are under construction, but I agree that Philadelphia does have more historic structures, and the two Comcast towers & a few others are nice. L.A. was stuck with a dumb 150 foot height limit law until the late 1950s. Only a few buildings were given waivers to go higher (e.g. LA City Hall). The mountain backdrop to L.A. is impressive (see pic below), especially on clear winter days after snow has fallen. Summer days with smog (not as common as they used to be)--less so.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Looks like London will soon have 2 supertalls, not just the "shard". Nice skyline developing, in several places (the City, docklands etc.) Wonder if Brexit will slow things down, or not? Is that smog on the horizon, or just "haze"? L.A. gets that orange layer from time to time. Not as often as it used to.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Los Angeles, California | February 2019

Admit it...downtown L.A skyline from a distance on a clear winter day with snow on the mountains is better than average, maybe even spectacular. Mr. Bhunsberger took a great photograph here from Kenneth Hahn Park a few miles southwest of DTLA. The mountains aren't actually that close--10,000' Mt. San Antonio ("Mt. Baldy", the tallest in the pic) is at least 30 miles to the northeast. Telephoto lens makes the peaks look closer than they are. There are few cities in the world where tall mountain peaks are really close to the city, say less than 10 miles. Even Denver is tens of miles from the tall peaks of the Rocky front range. Salt Lake is quite close to the Wasatch front. Many cities in South America, Europe and Asia have impressive mountain backdrops, But I'd rate L.A. as having one of the better U.S. backdrops, maybe the best for big cities over a million.

L.A. area also has several clusters of skyscrapers (mostly) to the west of downtown (beyond the left side of photo), starting in Koreatown and continuing out along the Wilshire corridor to "Miracle Mile", Beverly Hills (mostly under 15 stories due to height limit law), Century City, Westwood, Brentwood and Santa Monica (few built recently due to NIMBYs). Hollywood cluster is also expanding, but NIMBYs try to prevent them from being built. Long Beach to the south is building a few more skyscrapers, as are a few places in Orange County. The San Fernando Valley northwest of downtown also has a few taller buildings. But downtown is by far the major skyscraper center of the region (Century City a distant #2).

Wish downtown Los Angeles had a few old art deco/neo-gothic tall towers in there from the 1920s, but there aren't any tall ones. A mix of skyscrapers form different eras helps a skyline be better. L.A. had a height limit law that blocked most buildings over 150 feet until the late 1950s (City Hall got a waiver, and rose to 454' in 1928). There are lots of old buildings in DTLA, but few of the old ones are taller than 150 feet. The Eastern Columbia is my favorite from the 1920s (rises to slightly over 200' with a clock tower and is aqua blue!), and City Hall is good too. In a few years, L.A. could have 4 or 5 supertalls (it has 2 now) and many more over 700 feet. Check out the downtown L.A. thread for details.

Also in Southern California, the skyline of San Diego is increasingly impressive, but there is a 500 foot height limit. In NorCal, The San Francisco skyline of course is impressive and has a magnificent setting. On the west coast, Seattle and Vancouver are also top rate skylines in beautiful settings.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 11, 2019 at 8:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 9:38 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
L.A. has more tall buildings and more are under construction, but I agree that Philadelphia does have more historic structures, and the two Comcast towers & a few others are nice. L.A. was stuck with a dumb 150 foot height limit law until the late 1950s. Only a few buildings were given waivers to go higher (e.g. LA City Hall). The mountain backdrop to L.A. is impressive (see pic below), especially on clear winter days after snow has fallen. Summer days with smog (not as common as they used to be)--less so.
Yes the LA skyline has more 700 footers than Philly and more proposed and don’t get me wrong I like the LA skyline but when it comes to which Skyline looks more impressive I have to go with philly. The Comcast towers looks so dominant right next to each other. The liberty place towers do the same right next to each other.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 9:25 PM

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 7:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Jersey City:

Credit: chihoboken

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Philly
I think it must be an amazing city to visit once in life! Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful photo with us.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karishmab View Post
I think it must be an amazing city to visit once in life! Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful photo with us.
No problem! You should definitely make a visit

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 12:25 AM

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 9:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos