HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Today, 2:17 PM

I'm always amazed to find out that most of world operates, essentially, like the video store I worked in when I was 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Philly came closer to being selected for Amazon’s ‘HQ2’ than previously known, new book reveals

https://www.inquirer.com/news/amazon...-20210515.html

Basically, the search team in charge of collecting all of the data had Philly in the final three along with Chicago and Raleigh, and then the senior executives discarded the recommendations for their own personal preferences, including the next CEO who is a die hard Giants fan and said he would never live in Philadelphia. How'd those New York offices work out for ya, bud?

Old Posted Today, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
I'm always amazed to find out that most of world operates, essentially, like the video store I worked in when I was 16.
I also learned that lesson early on. I never wanted to get involved in politics after I saw the pettiness and the backstabbing in a college organization.

Old Posted Today, 3:54 PM

Quote:
For sure.

The most disappointing thing about getting older is realizing that most older people actually have no idea wtf they're doing.

Old Posted Today, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Philly came closer to being selected for Amazon’s ‘HQ2’ than previously known, new book reveals

Basically, the search team in charge of collecting all of the data had Philly in the final three along with Chicago and Raleigh, and then the senior executives discarded the recommendations for their own personal preferences, including the next CEO who is a die hard Giants fan and said he would never live in Philadelphia. How'd those New York offices work out for ya, bud?
From the same article:

Quote:
And executives believed that Philadelphia was “not a hotbed of engineering talent.”
But Nashville is, with one maybe two reputable colleges in the entire state?

Got it.

Old Posted Today, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Think about how demoralizing it must have been for the people on the search committee. You are charged with this important special project . . . you dedicate a year plus in pursuit of the right solution . . . you have almost reached the conclusion . . . and at the last hour you find out that all you had to do was ask the idiots in charge who their favorite football team is.

I also really wish there was a way to ban the location vs. location incentive game and resulting corporate welfare. Take the savings and give it to ALL companies, not the politically connected few.

Old Posted Today, 4:03 PM

Quote:

Hopefully the city can seize off of this and promote it - I mean this is as good of free publicity as you can ask for. It’s almost the next best thing to actually winning the bid - being one of the final 3 contenders of hundreds.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations