HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 6:01 PM

Quote:
and the building’s un-reinforced masonry structure required repairs.
Wasn't this problem one of the main reasons we were told that the Rosefriend wasn't save-able?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:05 PM

The Rosefriend obviously did not have a owner/developer interested in saving it..shit happens.. May the Rosefriend RIP....seriously..

Last edited by PacificNW; Nov 21, 2007 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 7:59 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I used to walk by the Brasserie almost every night at midnight... for like 2 years in a row. But never went in.

I'm glad they're going to bring it back so I can finally visit it!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 10:57 PM

Yeah this was a neat restaurant, but I remember being there like 6 years ago and there wasn't such great service / food. That was a long time ago, though, and long before that I remember going as a kid and they had that cool magician guy, black-and-white checkered floors, live music, fun atmosphere.

It's gonna be nice to see this space come to life again. I love the "midtown" park blocks area, but really wish there was more activity on the sidewalks. With PAW going in, the new Park Block 5 plaza, the proposed hotel at Park and Alder (where P:ear is on the corner -- is this hotel still happening?), and this Esquire/Brasserie development -- along with an eventual revamping of O'Bryant Square -- this area oughta spark to life. Now if something would just happen on that surface lot at 10th and Alder by the Galleria ... oh yeah and a nice revamp (implosion please) of the Yamhill garage... -- OK I'm done.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:29 PM

The NYT published it's "places to go this summer" travel issue today and Portland is #11. The short blurb mentions only the food scene, and drops Clyde Common specifically. Two other Oregon places get listed: the Owyhee River and Hwy 101. Not bad.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 6:10 AM

The New York Times continues a love affair with our fair city, on the front page of the travel section ...

http://travel.nytimes.com/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 8:48 PM

I walked by last night and they were open. I didn't get a great look inside but from what I could see it looked very nice. I definitely want to check it out sometime soon - the man outside told us there is live jazz music every night at 8pm.

http://www.brasserieportland.com/

Here is the website for the apartments above:

http://www.esquireapartmentsportland.com/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 1:01 AM

SF Restaurateurs To Take Over Bay 13 Space

San Francisco restaurateurs negotiating to take over Bay 13 space in Pearl District
By Karen Brooks, The Oregonian
January 19, 2010, 4:16PM

The industrial-slick space recently vacated by Bay 13 may soon have an interesting new tenant: Crane Tavern. The Oregonian has learned that a trio of respected San Francisco restaurants are ready to lock down the lease at 701 N.W. 13th in the Pearl District's Crane Building.

Brothers Mitch and Steven Rosenthal and Doug Washington have a following in San Francisco for delivering good food, smart design and casual fun at their popular haunts Town Hall, Salt House and Anchor and Hope. Their successful formula includes a sophisticated urban sensibility pitched in part to a business crowd.

"The papers are as good as signed," said Mitch Rosenthal, now back in San Francisco after an eating jaunt through Portland. "We wanted to grow. We've been courted by Vegas and places like that. But we wanted to go where we like ... and that's Portland."

Rosenthal says the group plans to hire a chef for the (tentatively titled) Crane Tavern and bring in one of their designers to "warm up" the roomy space. "This is a beautiful building, and a beautiful space, says Rosenthal. "But we built out two of our places .. and if you've seen them, you'll know they're much warmer than this."

If all falls into place, Rosenthal would like to be open by May.

After two years, Bay 13, owned by the California-based Moana Hotel & Restaurant Group, quietly closed recently. The restaurant never lived up to its ambitions, including a fish market that never materialized. Bay 13 opened with promise -- and confusion: a sushi bar, massive communal tables, a dining room and curtained-off private coves, along with inconsistent food and lack of focus. Reviews including The Oregonian's were colder than the ocean floor.

Rosenthal says the Crave Tavern won't duplicate the food at any of their San Francisco spots but will continue the threads: the local bent, the California influences. It's American regional food, as he puts it, "with our sensitivities."

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:08 AM

Didn't even know they had closed. This next venture sounds promising...now to check out their websites.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 10:57 PM

Portland Deli-One of the Best New York Times

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 3:20 AM

LOVE Kenny & Zuke's. Especially their sandwich shop on Thurman!

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 3:46 AM

Achieving Beervana in Portland, Ore.

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Los Angeles to Portland (metro pop. 2,160,000): 820 miles.
Los Angeles to Portland, Maine (metro pop. 188,000): 2642 miles.

And yet the LA Times feels the need to qualify us as "Portland, Ore."

/pet peeve

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 5:57 PM

Was this article from the mid-90's? Birkenstock wearing? I'll stick to the New York Times for relevant Portland articles. PS. Portland, OR, is not a slam, it is AP style. Any publication that follows that style guide, which is most, will always refer to Portland as Portland, OR. or Ore.

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 6:05 PM

This was the primary article on the Times' web site yesterday, not just buried in the Travel section of the site.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 6:08 AM

I subscribe to the OC Register instead of the Times, but I did read this on the LA Times website yesterday. It was a big story on a slow news weekend for some reason.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
Los Angeles to Portland (metro pop. 2,160,000): 820 miles.
Los Angeles to Portland, Maine (metro pop. 188,000): 2642 miles.

And yet the LA Times feels the need to qualify us as "Portland, Ore."

/pet peeve

Most newspapers follow AP style and that means they have to use "Portland, Ore." instead of just Portland. There are only something like 30 cities in AP style that don't need their state attached.

So yes, it is annoying that we aren't one of those cities, but that's the reason.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 5:48 PM

Opps... I didn't see sopdx reply above. Sorry!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 10:16 AM

I was on the school newspaper (The Statesman) at Woodrow Wilson High in Portland, and even there we learned to use the AP Stylebook and call it Portland, Ore. for the first reference in articles. Columnists didn't have to use that form, but reporters for The Statesman had to use the AP Stylebook form.

Back in those days the AP Stylebook was literally a book, and it sat on Mr. Melton's desk if we needed it. Now I believe it's simply an online resource for journalists updated annually. There may still be an actual, physical book version though.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:10 PM

Portland named Best Foodie City in America

https://katu.com/news/local/portland...ts-food-trucks

Quote:
Portland just landed at the top of a list of Best Foodie Cities in America.

The new list, released by WalletHub, looked at factors like restaurant diversity, food trucks per capita, grocery costs, and more.

Orlando came in second on the list, followed by Miami, San Francisco, Austin, and Sacramento, respectively.

Fellow Pacific Northwest hub Seattle took 7th place for Best Foodie Cities, and Vancouver, Wash., ranked No. 26.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment