HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:21 AM

Press Release - UO

EUGENE, Ore. -- (Jan. 22, 2008) -- The University of Oregon today released the latest conceptual design for a new $200-million arena, just days after a key legislative committee lent support to the project's financing package.

The architectural team of Ellerbe Becket/TVA Architects created the rendering as part of a pre-development effort that will continue to advance the design until a final decision is made on the project.

"We know more right now about the structure of the financing plan than we do about the final design of the arena," UO President Dave Frohnmayer said. "However this rendering illustrates why we have no doubt that the final product will be stunning."

While the design of the state-of-the-art, 12,500-seat arena is still taking shape, the financing plan received a boost after the Legislature's Joint Ways and Means Committee endorsed the plan last week. The financing package calls for 30-year state revenue bonds to cover the entire cost of the arena. The plan still must receive approval from the Oregon Legislature next month and the Oregon State Board of Higher Education in March.

The current vision is the result of the design collaboration between Executive Architect Ellerbe Becket of Kansas City, a premier arena designer with extensive collegiate arena experience, and Design Architect TVA Architects, one of Oregon's preeminent design firms.

"It is our goal to create an outstanding facility that respectfully acknowledges the legend of McArthur Court and its historic role in collegiate athletics," said Bob Thompson, TVA Architects principal.

Ellerbe Becket has received acclaim around the world for creating high-performance sports facility design. The firm’s resume includes some of the world’s most notable venues – Centennial Olympic Stadium for the Atlanta Olympics, Madison Square Garden and Lambeau Field. Ellerbe Becket’s introduction to the University of Oregon came earlier this decade when the firm renovated Autzen Stadium. Other recent projects include the new John Paul Jones Arena at the University of Virginia and the McCarthy Athletic Center at Gonzaga University. Approximately 90 million fans a year attend events in Ellerbe Becket sports and entertainment facilities.

TVA Architects Inc. is a nationally recognized architectural, planning and interiors firm based in Portland, Oregon. It is the recipient of over 50 local and national awards for excellence in design and is active designing projects throughout the United States and Asia. Established in 1984, the firm specializes in the design of athletic facilities, corporate headquarters, high-rise office and condominium towers as well as museums and private residences.

"We are very pleased with the most recent vision for a world-class arena to serve the University of Oregon and the entire state," UO Athletic Director Pat Kilkenny said. "I am personally extremely proud of our entire team, including the people who are working on the financing, marketing plan, design, construction and the many disciplines that it takes to make this project successful. Many exceptional people are putting in very long hours to create the best outcome possible."

The UO Athletic Department continues to evaluate ticket pricing concepts to ensure that the project remains financially solid while also continuing to provide opportunities for students and the community at large to enjoy the venue.

Frohnmayer acknowledged that the consultative process for the arena is not limited to the outcome of the financing package.

"We will continue to reach out to the many stakeholders on campus, in the surrounding neighborhood and throughout the community as the project progresses," he said.

The university and its development team will continue to release more details as the design process moves forward.

High res pic http://tinyurl.com/2udyhk

http://pmr.uoregon.edu/current-uo-ne...tatus_message=

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:37 AM

wow the backside is reminiscent of autzen stadium. I love it!
http://www.tvaarchitects.com/flash.html (under current projects)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:43 AM

Wow! That looks sweet

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 7:05 PM

I've been looking at more renderings on TVA's website and I must say, if this arena gets built this will be a huge step forward for sports in Oregon. The arena looks amazing and would definitely be the premiere sports place in the state. I for one hope this gets built. It would put Oregon on the map for college basketball and perhaps draw more NCAA events. I love it!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 3:36 AM

No suites for Duck fans at UO's new $200M arena
Portland Business Journal - by Don Muret Sports Business Journal

The most expensive college arena planned to date, the $200 million facility that the University of Oregon hopes to start building this year in Eugene, will not contain suites.

Projected for completion in 2010, it would be the first new arena in a Big Six conference to open without suites in 12 years. But that's the way big donors fueling the project, including Nike co-founder Phil Knight, prefer it, said officials principally involved in designing and developing the long-awaited arena.

"Suites don't drive interest in the program," said Jon Niemuth, Ellerbe Becket's principal designer for the project. Designers will instead focus on high-end club and courtside seats to help finance construction.

Texas A&M's Reed Arena was the last major conference men's basketball arena to open without suites, according to SportsBusiness Journal research. It didn't make sense to build suites at A&M in the late 1990s, when the basketball program was struggling and drawing crowds of less than 5,000, said sports facility consultant Bill Rhoda, who lives in Dallas but was not involved in the project.

"It's something colleges have to be aware of [because] they're a different animal," Rhoda said. "Suites are not as corporate-related as the pro products are."

Rhoda, a principal for CSL International, completed market research studies at Oregon, where the results proved that Ducks' season-ticket holders would rather pay a premium for sitting close to the floor than sit in a suite farther away from the action inside the 12,500-seat arena.

Ticket prices have not been determined, said Pat Kilkenny, Oregon's athletic director.

One reason for the absence of suites is that fans enjoy the old-school atmosphere at McArthur Court, the 81-year-old bandbox that gives the Ducks a distinct home advantage. Building suites in the new arena would eliminate that intimidating feel, Kilkenny said.

Throughout Division I, schools are conflicted over using luxury boxes to pay for new construction and renovations while maintaining a sense of egalitarianism on campus.

"The fact is, there are a lot of universities hesitant to create an 'us and them' atmosphere in their sports facilities," said Randy Bredar, vice president of marketing for J.E. Dunn Construction and a former college sports designer.

The challenge, Bredar said, is, "how do you create a finance model to support the facility itself?"

In Eugene, the 44 to 48 courtside and 4,000 to 5,000 club seats inside the new arena are tied to annual gifts, plus a one-time "construction fee."

"We felt we could sell club seating and other premium seats that would counterbalance the loss of the suites," Kilkenny said.

The financing behind Oregon's suite-free facility, 30-year bonds paid off by event revenue, has to be approved by the state Legislature and the Oregon State Board of Higher Education in the next two months.

Don Muret is a staff writer with SportsBusiness Journal, an affiliated publication. Contact portland@bizjournals.com.
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 8:27 PM

New website up for the new arena.

http://www.godunks.net/index.php

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 3:07 AM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 11:24 PM

lots of excavation has happened, and looks like foundation work might start soon.

webcam

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 4:19 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

You know, this makes the MLS upgrade look pretty cheap

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 12:15 AM

I drove by today and was struck by the size of the hole they've dug. In terms of impressive holes it's a lot like PAW except more girth-y. I can't wait to see it start popping out of the ground.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 10:58 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ you realize that you're supposed to take a picture of that hole too, right?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 8:57 PM

Yeah I do, but my camera failed and no one likes phone pictures. When I get that taken care of and can find a good place to shoot from I'll have a picture of the big hole.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 1:17 AM

Here is a link to their webcam:

http://www.godunks.net/templates/uoaw_v1.0/webcam.html

Oops...sorry WestCoast....I didn't see your earlier post of the webcam...my bad!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 9:07 PM

I wonder if we'll see increased Amtrak ridership between PDX and Eugene when this is finished; and the PacNW in general with the Major League Soccer rivalry (PDX-SEA-VAN) coming 2011. If enough fans enjoy the convenience of Going by Train then maybe we'll see the beginnings of a tipping point for greater ridership in general.

Also, could Portland get some tourist spillover from Vancouver's Olympic games, and will Amtrak be ready?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 4:08 AM

^ I could definitely see some higher ridership to/from Vancouver around that time (especially from PacNW areas) even if those visiting aren't going to the actual games but rather just to be around the "hub-bub". As for Amtrak ridership & the MLS I wonder if fan groups/tourism groups could reserve an entire car or two just for soccer fans much like they do with busses for such events.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 9:48 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
^ I could definitely see some higher ridership to/from Vancouver around that time (especially from PacNW areas) even if those visiting aren't going to the actual games but rather just to be around the "hub-bub". As for Amtrak ridership & the MLS I wonder if fan groups/tourism groups could reserve an entire car or two just for soccer fans much like they do with busses for such events.
2nd train to Vancouver... only for the Olympics.

http://seattletransitblog.com/2009/0...uver-approved/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks, Zil.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment