HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 4:42 AM

Oh yeah... I went to the Matchbox Lounge on Division a few weeks ago for late happy hour and was very impressed. Delicious drinks and food, nice interior, friendly people.

maccoinnich, I think that S/K shot is at Broadway and Stark. There are definitely gay bars in town, but being a mostly-straight guy I wouldn't know which of them, if any, might fit the bill you described. However, I can say that in general things seem to be mixed here in a positive way -- Holocene on just about any dance night might be what you are looking for, but especially the queer-themed nights, which I go to sometimes just because the atmosphere tends to be great (and more or less non-exclusive). Krush also comes to mind as an explicitly queer-friendly club.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
Dkealoha- WTF...you lived in the Pearl & worked near SoWa. Now live in SoWa and work in the Pearl
I know... I flip flopped a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
maccoinnich, I think that S/K shot is at Broadway and Stark. There are definitely gay bars in town, but being a mostly-straight guy I wouldn't know which of them, if any, might fit the bill you described. However, I can say that in general things seem to be mixed here in a positive way -- Holocene on just about any dance night might be what you are looking for, but especially the queer-themed nights, which I go to sometimes just because the atmosphere tends to be great (and more or less non-exclusive). Krush also comes to mind as an explicitly queer-friendly club.
Mostly straight? Hmmm...

Holocene is a great place. I've been to see a few dj's and bands there and always have a great time. One of the few places that really IS in an old warehouse and doesn't need to try to pull of the fake-industrial look.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Hey, been lurking on this forum for a while now. Interesting to read what's going on.

I'm kind of considering moving to Portland, from Scotland, in the autumn (fall). I love Portland, and my sister lives there, so I've got free rent for a month or two. I spent the summer of 2004 living/working in Portland, but being only 19 at the time, I didn't have much of an opportunity to explore the bars and clubs. (A travesty, I felt, given that I'd been legally drinking in Scotland for over a year by then...)

I was wondering, given Portland's well known musical pedigree, if there were gay club nights or anything that veered away from the cheesy pop end of the spectrum? You know, more Sleater-Kinney (to name a local band) than Katy Perry. This isn't like a make or break thing—it certainly doesn't exist here—but it would be nice.

EDIT - actually, speaking of SK, can anyone place exactly where the photo on this album cover was taken?

Regarding your question regarding the location of the SK album shot, it appears that it was taken at SW Broadway and SW Washington in front of the Union Bank of California building.

Your other question regarding places for non-"Cheesy Pop" music that cater to a gay crowd is more difficult. Holocene has gay nights where the music is not the typical gay anthem type of pop. Even on night where it is not gay per say, it is a very mixed crowd. In fact a lot of alternative type clubs in Portland are mixed. I tend to like this better than an all gay club, but that is just me.

Hope the information was helpful.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 8:37 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatioalfonzo View Post
The ONLY good thing about the OLCC is that all bars must serve some kind of food, only taverns can get around this law. I think it is awesome because it makes for great food all around town. You can actually get a decent meal at happy hour.
No, I'm pretty sure that there are no exceptions to the rule.

Quote:
GENERAL PROVISIONS
471.001 Definitions for ORS chapters
471 and 473. As used in this chapter and
ORS chapter 473:
(1)...
(2) “Commercial establishment” means a
place of business where food is cooked and
served and having adequate kitchen facilities
for the preparation and serving of meals and
having for that purpose proper dining space.
“Commercial establishment” includes athletic
clubs and golf clubs operated for profit.
A commercial establishment must serve
meals to the general public
or, if the commercial
establishment is an athletic club or
golf club, must serve meals to the club′s
members and guests.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
it appears that it was taken at SW Broadway and SW Washington
I think you are right. For some reason I was thinking they were standing at the northern end of that block.

Quote:
Mostly straight? Hmmm...
Haha... you know, like, 80/20 or something? Am I alone here?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 5:07 PM

Hey, thanks to those that replied. If I don't find any gay places I like it wont be the worst thing in the world... I've managed many years of pretty much only going out in non-gay places. It's just an abstract fantasy that somewhere in the world there might be something. But the posts above are encouraging!

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jan 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:10 AM

↑ maccoinnich: You may want to check out the local gay rag: www.JustOut.com

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich
if there were gay club nights or anything that veered away from the cheesy pop end of the spectrum? You know, more Sleater-Kinney (to name a local band) than Katy Perry. This isn't like a make or break thing—it certainly doesn't exist here—but it would be nice.
LOL, the Egyptian comes to mind. Thing about Portland is even in the 'hetero' bars downtown or close in, I've always found a good number of gay peeps in the bars and clubs too. Doug-Fir on lower Burnside comes to mind as a good example.

Portland's a very live and let live city and so even though we have the traditional pop twink gay bars, our community is much more integrated. As a gay peep myself, I don't have any problems going out with my hetero friends, with my partner, to the setting we most enjoy. Rather having to choose between a gay vs. straight bar like we had to do in Phoenix.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:34 AM

Can anyone tell me the low down at the Doug Fir? I mean do you just sit around and watch the band of the night or is there a more loungy feel to it as well? I'm thinking i'll probably hit it up.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:52 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
Can anyone tell me the low down at the Doug Fir? I mean do you just sit around and watch the band of the night or is there a more loungy feel to it as well? I'm thinking i'll probably hit it up.
the bar is loungy, if you are going to the show, which is in the basement and separate from the bar is more of a concert space.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 5:05 PM
Bears of antiquity

If you want good live shows, keep tabs on the Bootie people, their latest club night series is Blow Pony. There's dancing, a show, performance art, live music sometimes...

They do a monthly show in Seattle called Magnum, same deal.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 3:31 AM

^^ you do not have to pay for the show if you don't intend going downstairs?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment