HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Article is a few months old, but I think it was missed as I don't recall seeing it posted.

Source: http://parkcentralphoenix.com/news-a...aurant-lineup/
I feel Zipps has badly gone downhill, but hoping this location will be better. Also, it's right across the street for me, so I'm looking forward to walking over to watch football on Saturday and Sundays!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 3:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I feel Zipps has badly gone downhill, but hoping this location will be better. Also, it's right across the street for me, so I'm looking forward to walking over to watch football on Saturday and Sundays!
I personally have not been to Zipps...partially because of bad reviews and just haven't had any nearby when I've felt like trying it out. But working right up the block, this will give me a chance to check it out during lunch or after work. Plus, a sports bar/restaurant is sorely needed for Midtown.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Article is a few months old, but I think it was missed as I don't recall seeing it posted.

Source: http://parkcentralphoenix.com/news-a...aurant-lineup/
Yeah, it was brought up before. It’s goong to be between Jimmy Johns and Jama Juice. There was a liquor license sign up a couple weeks back. I actually peaked in there the other day and haven’t seen any work done inside yet. I was hoping it would get done before football season but I’m not holding my breathe.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Yeah, it was brought up before. It’s goong to be between Jimmy Johns and Jama Juice. There was a liquor license sign up a couple weeks back. I actually peaked in there the other day and haven’t seen any work done inside yet. I was hoping it would get done before football season but I’m not holding my breathe.
Just drove by yesterday, same story it will probably be a while before its done.

As for the quality of zipps. Its shit... but its our local shit

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:46 PM

Double post

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 4:18 PM
self-important urbanista

Gordon Biersch has closed in Tempe:

https://mouthbysouthwest.com/2019/07...owntown-tempe/

It's a nice space. I hope someone can put it to good use.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Gordon Biersch has closed in Tempe:

https://mouthbysouthwest.com/2019/07...owntown-tempe/

It's a nice space. I hope someone can put it to good use.
Varsity Tavern across the street is having some issues as well--apparently a guy was drunk to the point that he thought it'd be a good idea to jump off the second story balcony. That, plus some incidents of serving underage patrons, led the state to suspend their liquor license. Could be a lot of turnover there if Varsity is not able to rebound.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ny/1684265001/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:33 AM

Beer Question

In your opinion, what is the best Arizona craft beer? Not just the brand, but also the specific beer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
In your opinion, what is the best Arizona craft beer? Not just the brand, but also the specific beer.
Bud Light

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
I haven't had enough experience with all of the new breweries around, but as far as craft beers readily available, my favorite is probably 8th St by four peaks. I'm not always in the mood for it, but I think it is very good.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:44 AM

Church music from The Shop Beer Co in tempe is really good

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Huss Brewing Koffee Kolsch

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I haven't had enough experience with all of the new breweries around, but as far as craft beers readily available, my favorite is probably 8th St by four peaks. I'm not always in the mood for it, but I think it is very good.
My favorite beer still has to be Pumpkin Porter from Four Peaks as well. Really look forward to it every fall and occasionally attend the release event for it in Tempe. But still think overall best brewery is Arizona Wilderness.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
Huss Brewing Koffee Kolsch
Absolutely, hands down, the best beer I've had. Easy to drink with a lot of coffee flavor that you'd normally need to drink a porter for. Pretty much everyone I get to try it says they love it.

Their Orange Blossom beer they got from Papago is also really good.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
My favorite beer still has to be Pumpkin Porter from Four Peaks as well. Really look forward to it every fall and occasionally attend the release event for it in Tempe. But still think overall best brewery is Arizona Wilderness.
Tower Station IPA and the Oak Creek Nut Brown are my standards, but Wilderness Brewing gets some pretty fantastic seasonal brews.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:40 AM

Quote:
My vote goes to Papago/Huss Brewery's Coconut Joe, but you only find it on draft at select bars, namely the Huss Taproom in Uptown Plaza.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 6:56 AM

I'm not an IPA lover but tower station is an incredible y drinkable and smooth beer.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:33 PM

A lot of turnover on Mill this summer. Restaurant Mexico is closing due to the owner retiring, and being unable to find a buyer for the restaurant. Article says owner is instead selling the building, and while the buyer intends to open a new restaurant in the space, there are no further details.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ng/1858852001/

Wasn't the biggest fan of Restaurant Mexico--it was typical old-school lardy Sonoran fare--but it is a little sad to lose another long-time Mill staple.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:01 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
A lot of turnover on Mill this summer. Restaurant Mexico is closing due to the owner retiring, and being unable to find a buyer for the restaurant. Article says owner is instead selling the building, and while the buyer intends to open a new restaurant in the space, there are no further details.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ng/1858852001/

Wasn't the biggest fan of Restaurant Mexico--it was typical old-school lardy Sonoran fare--but it is a little sad to lose another long-time Mill staple.
It's definitely the end of an era. I remember eating in Restaurant Mexico in its various locations around downtown Tempe. I'm surprised to hear they owned the building, but I'm glad to learn it's going to become another restaurant and not a vape shop.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:15 PM
self-important urbanista

Mary Coyle

This is interesting:

https://www.azfamily.com/news/iconic...ed054c031.html

The Mary Coyle ice cream shop has existed on-and-off in multiple locations over the past few decades. Now, it's being resurrected in the Tapestry building. I'd say it's a minor miracle that Tapestry is finally getting some more retail tenants. I've been told part of the problem is that the retail spaces aren't vented for cooking, so a place that serves cold treats makes sense there. The most recent incarnation of Mary Coyle on 7th Street just south of Bethany Home felt sterile due to the fluorescent lighting. I hope they can do better with the interior design at the new space.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jul 31, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest