HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:07 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Kimberly-Clark relocating sales, marketing and management jobs from Neenah, WI to Fulton Market.

Regarding WFH, I think it’s going to be a wash for big cities overall. There’s going to be a moderate number of people who choose hybrid work, but there’s also significant movement of jobs from smaller cities to metropolitan downtowns happening.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...-fulton-market
Wow, who'd a thought that a company that makes diapers needs such a HUGE marketing staff?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:11 PM
The City

Interestingly, Kimberly Clark was a HUGE corporate loss for Wisconsin when it moved to Texas in 1985

Another interesting fact: the new defunct Midwest Airlines was actually created by Kimberly Clark in 1984.

I miss Midwest Airlines--you'd always get a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie when you flew with them....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:47 PM

Interesting regarding Kimberly Clark. Good for the city/area. Not great for Neenah, WI. How many people are actually moving? It actually sounds decent because it's not just 15 C-Suite execs moving but sounds like other more normal people too. I think we know some of their normal consumer brands but they have a massive footprint in offices, doctor's offices, etc etc. My wife is in marketing and works with a number of different clients. You'd be surprised on who spends a lot on marketing, and how much it sometimes quietly (outside of their company) helps them.

In other news:
Good to see more and more life sciences outside of the big boys in the Chicago area getting this. This is a lot of money though these companies tend to use more of their money for actual research, trials, etc than total hiring vs. a "standard" tech company.

Chicago gene therapy startup raises $139M

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...ises-139m.html

Quote:
A Chicago biotech startup led by a team of seasoned life sciences executives raised a major funding round this week from some big-name backers.

Jaguar Gene Therapy, a gene therapy startup helping patients suffering from severe genetic diseases, announced it raised $139 million in Series B funding. The round was co-led by Eli Lilly and Company, and Deerfield Management. Other backers include ARCH Venture Partners, Goldman Sachs and Nolan Capital.

Jaguar is led by the former leadership team at AveXis, an Illinois-based maker of gene replacement therapy for spinal muscular atrophy that was acquired by Novartis in 2018 for nearly $9 billion. Jaguar is led by Joe Nolan, a former AveXis executive who also held leadership roles at Lundbeck and Abbott Laboratories.

Founded in 2019, Jaguar is creating gene therapy treatments for patients battling genetic diseases, such as galactosemia, autism spectrum disorder, Type 1 diabetes and Bardet-Biedl syndrome. The startup said it will use the funding to advance the initial pre-clinical pipeline of its therapies.

Jaguar, headquartered in Lake Forest, is among the breakout biotech startups in Chicago's burgeoning life sciences scene. After decades of falling behind other U.S. cities in venture capital raised and access to lab space, the city's biotech ecosystem appears to be gaining momentum. Hundreds of thousands of square feet of lab space is currently under construction across several buildings in Chicago, including Trammell Crow's Fulton Labs project in the West Loop and Sterling Bay's Prysm Life Sciences initiative in Lincoln Park.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Interesting regarding Kimberly Clark. Good for the city/area. Not great for Neenah, WI. How many people are actually moving? It actually sounds decent because it's not just 15 C-Suite execs moving but sounds like other more normal people too.
It sounds like 250 people from outside Chicago are being relocated, considering the company won’t qualify for tax credits otherwise. 80 existing Chicago personnel will join them on top of that, and the company states the possibility of “future growth needs.”

“The facility, which will house sales, marketing, executive management and other functions, will bring an expected 250 jobs here by next spring, many of them relocated from Neenah, Wis. The office will also house another 80 Kimberly-Clark workers already in the Chicago area.
Kimberly-Clark will qualify for between $9.5 million and $19 million in state Edge payroll tax credits over 10 years, depending on whether it maintains or expands the 250 promised new jobs.”

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:47 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wow, who'd a thought that a company that makes diapers needs such a HUGE marketing staff?
marketing to kids is the most effective kind of marketing. better to start them young.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Interesting regarding Kimberly Clark. Good for the city/area. Not great for Neenah, WI. How many people are actually moving? It actually sounds decent because it's not just 15 C-Suite execs moving but sounds like other more normal people too. I think we know some of their normal consumer brands but they have a massive footprint in offices, doctor's offices, etc etc. My wife is in marketing and works with a number of different clients. You'd be surprised on who spends a lot on marketing, and how much it sometimes quietly (outside of their company) helps them.
Eh, it's not a huge loss for Neenah, I mean I'm sure they would rather things stay the way they are, but Neenah is in zero danger of losing the large numbers of moderate to high paying manufacturing and back of house jobs KC provides. That's the bread and butter of the Fox Valley: mill mills and more mills. That and manhole covers, those are also made in a (steel) mill.

Might be a bummer for guys like my uncle who build giant ass houses all over the place for the executive level people at these legacy corporate behemoths though. You gotta realize that consolidation has been the name of the game for decades in these industries. There used to be enough paper barons in Neenah that they have a whole street of mansions that were once the homes of the rich mill and lumber barons:

http://anamericandowntonabbey.blogsp..._7425.html?m=1

Most of these exist today, my family and family friends have been integral in restoring and maintaining these homes over the years. My Dad's best friend was just wrapping up restoring one that had been converted to a two flat and it caught fire from electrical issues. Was nearly a total loss. Luckily another wealthy person stepping in an rehired him to do it all over again and put it back exactly as it was.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:50 PM

This might not be a huge loss for Neenah- (and Im not rooting for that). This is a huge win for Chicago and it another coup for Fulton Market.
This is effectively a new HQ. The North American Consumer headquarters is how Kimberly Clark refers to the move.

And it signals a return to the pre-pandemic model of Chicago attracting the national/international operations of major midwestern companies.
Most often reasons cited are:
  1. get closer to our corporate customers,
  2. operational efficiencies,
  3. lowered travel costs,
  4. access to large pool of highly skilled talent
Also signals a return to the CEO or President led relocation- this is from separate corporate announcement on restructuring:
Quote:
Russ Torres, president of Kimberly-Clark Professional (KCP), has been named Group President of Kimberly-Clark North America. In his new role, Torres will lead Kimberly-Clark's North American consumer business, maker of many of the industry's most iconic brands, including Huggies, Kleenex, Cottonelle, and Depend....... Torres joined Kimberly-Clark in 2020 with more than 20 years of deep experience within the consumer products goods industry, spanning a number of key senior leadership roles at Bain & Company, Mondelez International/Kraft Foods, and Newell Brands. Torres holds an MBA from Northwestern University, and a bachelor's degree from Dartmouth College.
It is likely that the senior leadership wanted to get better access to Chicago's talent pool for the same old reason as pre-pandemic, easier to attract new college grads from the great Business & CS schools in Chicago and the BIg10.

This is a new division for KC and will have the same residual economic impact as any other HQ for travel, office purchases, entertainment budgets, B2B professional services, hardware, software purchases and the like.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 4:08 PM

this seems like a really bad time to dump a "take it or leave it" HQ move on existing employees.

im glad for chicago but this is still a super shitty thing to pull, esp considering we're still in an active pandemic, housing is f'd everywhere, and they wont be getting a COL increase to relocate.

Quote:
18 billion in revenue is nothing to sneeze at. scott tp/towels, viva, kotex, cottonelle in addition to all the big diaper brands. lots of staple items that are virtually recession proof, and each of those brands has its own full dedicated teams. they also have big competition from other big players in this space. LOTS of ad spend (and Mindshare...also in Fulton Market in the WPP building, manages it all, and that has its own team of 100 people or so).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
New office leases inked in West, East Loop. No, really.
The deals are a welcome sight for landlords, perhaps signaling an end to the COVID-induced drought.

In a new addition to the West Loop, Lactalis Heritage Dairy subleased 35,000 square feet at 540 W. Madison St., where it will open its first Chicago office. In the East Loop, Lake Forest-based business service and technology provider Impact Networking leased another 31,335 square feet at 150 N. Michigan Ave., bringing its footprint to over 50,000 square feet at an office it has occupied since 2014. And in the Fulton Market District, furniture company Teknion leased nearly 22,000 square feet at a new office building at 800 W. Fulton Market.

He also stressed the need for employees to have office space to collaborate rather than operating remotely—"There's a lot of teamwork and we want the teams ultimately to be together," he said—but acknowledged the company's footprint could change as people adjust to post-pandemic life.

While Impact employees have mostly worked from home during the pandemic, "coming together in person to collaborate and build community is core to Impact's culture and is a critical part of our future," Impact CEO Frank Cucco said in the statement.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...loop-no-really

This is probably just the tip of the iceberg. I'm of the belief that we are about to see a flood of new leases over the next 3-6 months. Companies have largely deferred making any leasing decisions for over 12 months due to uncertainty while simultaneously growing headcounts. That uncertainty is quickly going away as the economy comes roaring back. Both the company I recently left and the one I joined are absolutely going to need more office space. Sooner they jump on it the sooner they can score a good deal.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:54 PM

Funding is way up across the US so far this year - something like near +100%. Chicago area almost has as much funding in just over 3.5 months this year as it did in all of 2020. 2020 wasn't a down year either - most funding for the area in at least 15 years. Will be interesting to see which companies will get new funding vs. further funding (who already got some before). Most likely though, it's probably above $3B as there are also numerous deals always which don't have amounts made public.

By my data, here is the top 10 metro areas right now for funding that I see in the US. This is for all industries - not just typical tech companies. A ton of biotech in and around Boston and San Diego for example.

1. San Francisco MSA: $20,701,560,400
2. NYC MSA: $13,094,152,126
3. Boston MSA: $10,964,623,748
4. San Jose MSA: $6,597,464,107
5. Los Angeles MSA: $6,156,852,834
6. Chicago MSA: $2,773,481,300
7. San Diego MSA: $2,200,950,000
8. Philadelphia MSA: $2,056,727,000
9. Dallas MSA: $1,756,278,130
10. Atlanta MSA: $1,534,520,000

FYI Philadelphia had one company with a $1.2B round and Dallas had a company with a $1.4B round. If not for those, then neither would be in the top 10 so far. From a per capita perspective, the Chicago MSA is 12th out of the metro areas with 1M+ population I've looked at so far. There's a few smaller metros like Madison, WI that are more. And sitting in dead last of the 36 MSAs I've looked at so far with total funding is Indianapolis with just under $30M. Even areas like Madison, WI and Charlottesville, VA have had more funding and more activities than Indianapolis.

ActiveCampaign raises $240 million for marketing automation platform

Quote:
ActiveCampaign, which makes software to help small business automate and customize their marketing and other interactions with customers, raised $240 million from two hedge fund giants.

The funding, which was led by Tiger Global and included Dragoneer, values ActiveCampaign at more than $3 billion, the company said. It’s the second $200 million funding round in as many weeks, and the latest in a flurry of investments of $100 million or more in Chicago companies, which are coming off their best quarter for venture capital in 15 years.

ActiveCampaign is 18 years old, but the company took off five years ago, when it raised outside funding. Since then, the company has grown from 16 employees to more than 850, hiring 300 of them last year. ActiveCampaign says it expects to top 1,000 workers this year.

The subscription-software company raised $100 million in January 2020. Since then it has grown from $100 million in recurring annual sales to $160 million, says CEO Jason VandeBoom. The company declined to say whether it’s profitable.

He says the company will use the funding to continue refining a product that’s now in use in 170 countries and expand into new markets. ActiveCampaign relies on having a product that’s intuitive and low-touch so it doesn’t require a lot of support, which can make servicing the company’s 145,000 customers expensive.

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 21, 2021 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:36 PM

I apologize for being pessimistic but damn I would want to see Chicago higher on that list... hopefully with all the capital going into science infrastructure we can climb the list in the next 5-10 years.....

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I apologize for being pessimistic but damn I would want to see Chicago higher on that list... hopefully with all the capital going into science infrastructure we can climb the list in the next 5-10 years.....
Chicago in many ways is late to the game. But in recent years it's done pretty well with growth.. The Bay Area is the Bay Area. That's not changing anytime soon no matter what you might read in the news. Yes many companies opening offices elsewhere but they're still pulling in relatively massive numbers there.. NYC and LA are both huge with this and have been for a long time. Boston has a ton of Biotech money..

More optimism would be perhaps realizing that Chicago actually led the country in growth Q1 2020 vs. Q1 2021. An average quarter for Chicago is like $600M maybe. Last year Chicago had its best year in at least 15 years. Q1 2021 was already over $2B, which I basically 3X higher than normal for the region before 2020. Also keep in mind that $2B of LA's total is for SpaceX. It counts but also some perspective.

In the 21 days of Q2 2021, Chicago area companies have already raised over $836M in some major deals. So again, that is a little behind the others but still operating at much higher brake.

From what it looks like, things are accelerating. These funding rounds will make VCs look at Chicago companies even more. Many of these companies that get funding have the opportunity of getting even more money from thr same investors in future rounds too.

I think it'll be interesting to see what the level is in 5 years. There is a possibility in 5 or 10 years it could be at LA areas level. Of course without the SpaceX rounds, it would be a little closer together.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to expect Chicago to be higher on the list. San Jose is really part of the Bay Area, imo. The #1 spot is even further out of reach and #4 doesn't exist.

Boston punches way above its weight, with MIT/Harvard plus tons of legacy and talent. NYC and L.A. are both larger, with L.A. having a pretty significant defense industry presence. A realistic goal is for Chicago to be 70 or 80% of L.A.'s funding, instead of 40%, keeping us at #5 but outpacing the peers at our heels. With U of I, Northwestern, Chicago, Argonne, Fermi plus a lot of talent, we've got fundamentals to run well ahead of the Atlantas, Dallas' and Phillies of the world.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Chicago in many ways is late to the game. But in recent years it's done pretty well with growth.. The Bay Area is the Bay Area. That's not changing anytime soon no matter what you might read in the news. Yes many companies opening offices elsewhere but they're still pulling in relatively massive numbers there.. NYC and LA are both huge with this and have been for a long time. Boston has a ton of Biotech money..

More optimism would be perhaps realizing that Chicago actually led the country in growth Q1 2020 vs. Q1 2021. An average quarter for Chicago is like $600M maybe. Last year Chicago had its best year in at least 15 years. Q1 2021 was already over $2B, which I basically 3X higher than normal for the region before 2020. Also keep in mind that $2B of LA's total is for SpaceX. It counts but also some perspective.

In the 21 days of Q2 2021, Chicago area companies have already raised over $836M in some major deals. So again, that is a little behind the others but still operating at much higher brake.

From what it looks like, things are accelerating. These funding rounds will make VCs look at Chicago companies even more. Many of these companies that get funding have the opportunity of getting even more money from thr same investors in future rounds too.

I think it'll be interesting to see what the level is in 5 years. There is a possibility in 5 or 10 years it could be at LA areas level. Of course without the SpaceX rounds, it would be a little closer together.
That certainly does put it in a better perspective, thanks. The increase is probably more important than the actual figure at this point if one is looking for a reason to be hopeful for the future.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:00 PM
The City

It's also important to see VC in context.

It's a specific measure of a specific funding strategy for companies. This is a funding strategy that has been culturally more embraced in coastal cities than in a more conservative city than Chicago. It also tends to be more based on interpersonal relationships (ie inbreeding). So douchy-ness and "clique-ness" play a role here.

Examples of such are when some goofball goes around saying "I'm bicoastal", meaning their whole world revolves around NYC and LA, and the rest of the country is "flyover country" (yes, there are still people out there like this). Stuff like VC fund raising are an index of said "douchiness" and in part should be taken into consideration without worrying too much about Chicago and the wealth creation going on here.

That is a similar quirk to how Chicago keeps owning the rest of the US in Site Selection Magazine year after year. Something very specific is being measured that Chicago excels in, even though we all know that Chicago is otherwise not even close to owning the rest of the country in economic growth.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
It's also important to see VC in context.

It's a specific measure of a specific funding strategy for companies. This is a funding strategy that has been culturally more embraced in coastal cities than in a more conservative city than Chicago. It also tends to be more based on interpersonal relationships (ie inbreeding). So douchy-ness and "clique-ness" play a role here.

Examples of such are when some goofball goes around saying "I'm bicoastal", meaning their whole world revolves around NYC and LA, and the rest of the country is "flyover country" (yes, there are still people out there like this). Stuff like VC fund raising are an index of said "douchiness" and in part should be taken into consideration without worrying too much about Chicago and the wealth creation going on here.

That is a similar quirk to how Chicago keeps owning the rest of the US in Site Selection Magazine year after year. Something very specific is being measured that Chicago excels in, even though we all know that Chicago is otherwise not even close to owning the rest of the country in economic growth.
Yeah exactly - and it's not the end all be all of everything, but it is a good indicator of certain type of activity. Chicago is definitely more conservative than areas like the Bay, and some people in Chicago (just like many other places) are smart and good enough to actually be able to build up headcount and revenue on their own with no funding but their own. I have a friend in Chicago who almost did this and only took in $1M of seed money, but he was looking at nearly $100M of revenue one year before selling his company. You can look even at places like Uptake, which of course was founded by very rich people. I think they took 1 round of funding for maybe $30M but they didn't even need it.

The thing is though that not everyone can be Brad Keywell or even my friend (definitely nowhere near as rich). The fact that Chicago is increasing like this is a good sign for the people like ActiveCampaign who built a good product, and some customers but maybe weren't savvy enough to build the business to way more customers. That's where something like VC can come in with the right backers. If companies in Chicago are successful, then it will convince more and more VCs to look to Chicago to spread their money around.

Either way, it's a palpable way of maybe tying to an imapct like this. Chicago had $2.8B funding last year and nearly $2.8B already this year. If you say that half of that money could be used on hiring more people over a 3 year period at an average salary of $125K then you're looking at 7500 new jobs. And if 25% of those move from outside of the Chicago area, and 50% of those people want to live in the city, then you're looking at new mid rises and/or high rises potentially Not to count maybe people who get a new job, and a raise with it and want to up their living arrangements. I'm just thinking aloud here but this applies to any city. People will look at NYC now in the same way as Chicago "it's losing population!" yet so much is still being built. This is why - especially NYC where most of that $13B is for companies actually based in usually either Manhattan or Brooklyn. There's a reason why some dense, old not so great buildings could be torn down and new luxury condos, less dense, be put in its place costing way more than the previous housing there.

But again as you point out, it's just one piece of the puzzle - it's possible that some areas have more already rich founders who don't even need to seek funding than others. Maybe they found companies in spaces they actually know about and don't need the help (whether real or perceived) of an advisor from a VC firm. My wife works for a company who has never taken 1 cent of funding. The owners all founded this company in their late 20s with their own money. They have major clients and my wife has made a killing off of some. It just so happens that these founders come from already well off families and already had a bit of money even before 30.

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 21, 2021 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to expect Chicago to be higher on the list. San Jose is really part of the Bay Area, imo. The #1 spot is even further out of reach and #4 doesn't exist.

Boston punches way above its weight, with MIT/Harvard plus tons of legacy and talent. NYC and L.A. are both larger, with L.A. having a pretty significant defense industry presence. A realistic goal is for Chicago to be 70 or 80% of L.A.'s funding, instead of 40%, keeping us at #5 but outpacing the peers at our heels. With U of I, Northwestern, Chicago, Argonne, Fermi plus a lot of talent, we've got fundamentals to run well ahead of the Atlantas, Dallas' and Phillies of the world.
What aerospace can generate in SoCal is pretty significant as well as what the media-entertainment ecosystem contributes to

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:47 AM
Cap ou pas cap?

Cinespace is planning a big expansion of up to 19 new sound stages which is a 50% increase. Good news!

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...-big-expansion

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:53 PM
The City

^ Saw that

Largest film studio East of Hollywood

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
^ Saw that

Largest film studio East of Hollywood
Woah, is that right? That's huge, especially with the controversy going on in Georgia and the opportunity to poach some of the production that has shifted to Atlanta in recent years...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest