HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 12:33 PM

Racism in Ottawa

Hey guys. Here's an article I wrote yesterday about my experience in Canada/Ottawa as a black man in light of the George Floyd situation in the United States. I was on CBC Radio yesterday and didn't get a chance to share everything I wanted to share do I decided to get my thoughts out. If you're looking for a little bit more understanding on how it feels to be a black man in this city and country, check it out.

https://shiftermagazine.com/kevin-bo...-racist-canada

And here's something else I wrote during Black History Month on a similar topic.

https://shiftermagazine.com/kevin-bo...-month-opinion

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:02 PM

Wow. This was very thought provoking and enlightening. Thank you for sharing.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

What will it take for people in Canada to finally pay attention to, for example, racial profiling? It happens everywhere, from Windsor, ON (ask Jagmeet Singh) to Montréal, QC (Radio Canada even reported on the latter).

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 4:32 PM

I have a friend in Montreal who want to go to English school, and his parents also want her to go to English school, but it is absolutely forbidden by law.
(those friends are unilingual French, fresh from France)
Meanwhile, Premier Trudeau (and others) are gloating about Canada's freedom, Canada's human rights, Canada's bilingualism, Canada's multiculturalism.
Even in Canada, human rights do not apply equally to all.

Last edited by eltodesukane; Jun 3, 2020 at 11:11 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 8:12 PM

good article...

I have many thoughts about this subject. My brother in law is of haitian descent and my nephews are mixed race. Of course none of us ever think about it-the extended families get along so great. I also had an adopted cousin who was mixed race and our family in general is quite multicultural as many are these days.

I would have to say, i had never put too much thought into racism in canada other than to note, it was less overt, more sublime, or for many non existant. But the things you describe in your article are very real and when you are partial to the experience, its a completely different experience. I don't get a look when I walk into a store for example but I am sure it happens.

Anyways, I wanted to mention that it was about a year ago, I was out with some friends and a member of the police force was there. He used a term for people of colour referencing them as a day of the week and when I figured out what he meant, I was completely flabbergasted. He was drunk but he holds a position on the police force and what he was saying was nothing short of obscene, and the reference he used was "code". It was a huge eye opener for me and while I think the individual in question is in a the minority, even police would have been equally offended, but it exists, and it was a bit ugly to be honest.

Thanks for sharing the article...

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 2:25 AM

Excellent article. The line that impacted me the most was that being black is a 24/7 job.

While I am Hispanic with brownish skin, I can pass for white in Canada. In the US, however, I have experienced situations in which "whiter" people looked down on me because, in their mind, I was merely a Latino.

The first time this happened I was a teenager and it confused me, for in my mind I was a normal kid from Nepean. But after a while (I have visited the US many, many times) I learned a terrible lesson: Racism makes minority groups hyper aware, 24/7, of how they are seen as different by the majority. As a human being this is exhausting.

Fortunately for me I can escape this constant glare in Canada (though not the States) but I know this is not true for those in Canada who are black, browner than me, or from Indigenous communities.

Reading your article was a wonderful reminder of the need for empathy and inclusion of all groups. Thank you for sharing.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 6:23 AM

Anti-black racism is definitely a local issue in Ottawa; perhaps more so than elsewhere in Canada. Black-Canadians are actually the largest visible minority in the city (outnumbering both South Asians and East Asians). They're very disproportionately represented in the city's poorer population, in contrast to other minorities who tend to have comparable (or better) economic outcomes to whites. The amount of sheer hostility you see among supposedly liberal Ottawans to the Somali community for example is absurdly high.

A local, Ottawa-specific, conversation about this issue needs to happen.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 10:22 AM

Like in Quebec, Haitians are welcomed as essential workers, but not welcomed as citizens.
Quebec wants French immigration, but not so much if they happen to be black.
https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/...-ab098fe80d02/

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 11:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
I have a friend in Montreal who want to go to English school, and his parents also want her to go to English school, but it is absolutely forbidden by law.
Meanwhile, Premier Trudeau (and others) are gloating about Canada's freedom, Canada's human rights, Canada's bilingualism, Canada's multiculturalism.
Even in Canada, human rights do not apply equally to all.
You and others may object to these rules, but they are not in any way related to "race".

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You and others may object to these rules, but they are not in any way related to "race".
Yeah and they are the majority making rules limiting the rights of the majority so comparison is way off.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 12:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yeah and they are the majority making rules limiting the rights of the majority so comparison is way off.
If we make assumptions about life paths, Kevin Bourne who is black and is the author of the articles above, probably went to English school in Ontario, so in Quebec he could send his kids to English or French schools.

François Legault, who is Québécois French Canadian and the Premier of the province, probably went to French school all his life, as did his wife. So his kids could only go to French schools in Quebec as a result.

So the black anglo guy from Ontario actually has *more* legal freedoms and choices than the white Québécois francophone multi-millionaire politician.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 3:41 PM

The 24/7 comment is profound. Likewise, society requires 24/7 vigilance to fight against racism and make our society better.

The violent response in the USA by all parties involved unfortunately is so counterproductive.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The 24/7 comment is profound. Likewise, society requires 24/7 vigilance to fight against racism and make our society better.

The violent response in the USA by all parties involved unfortunately is so counterproductive.
Although I am in no way promoting the violent, destructive protests in the U.S, I understand the reaction. It's absolutely inexplicable how Colin Kaepernick was attacked by millions of Americans for his peaceful demonstration and was essentially banned from the NFL, while those same Americans are now calling for peaceful protests.

We must remember that the actions of those four police officers is what triggered this crisis. Firing the police officers and subsequently only charging one AFTER the protests started, with third degree murder to boot, is an insult.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Lots of sympathy or copy-cat protests going on in other countries, including Canada.

I don't wish for it to happen but if it does get ugly, I wonder if people will still apply the "you can't make an omelette without breaking any eggs" logic?

"Rioters trash downtown St. John's Newfoundland to protest police racism"

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:55 PM

Thanks for posting this Kevin. Your article reminds me of a comment made by a good friend in Toronto that she was regularly followed by security in stores. And this from a professional woman with a PhD. That shocked me, and if that’s her experience I can only imagine how it is for people who don’t fit her profile.

I’m probably guilty of being a bit oblivious to the day to day reality that black people live in this city and country, so I always appreciate a good calling out in this subject. Progress on the issue is not guaranteed unless we keep it top of mind and speak up when we need to.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Although I am in no way promoting the violent, destructive protests in the U.S, I understand the reaction. It's absolutely inexplicable how Colin Kaepernick was attacked by millions of Americans for his peaceful demonstration and was essentially banned from the NFL, while those same Americans are now calling for peaceful protests.
It is very explicable. They are racists. Black football players are there to entertain them. So that's what they are supposed to do.

"Shut up and dribble."

Martin Luther King talked a lot about his disappointment with moderate whites who were silent and complicit. I get the sense that quite a few Americans feel that the election of Obama absolves them of any responsibility to address racial inequalities in America. Ironically, Obama lost the white vote. Twice.

On a more local level, I sincerely hope nothing ever gets as bad as this in our country. Our closest parallel is the treatment of aboriginals and how we discuss aboriginal issues and concerns in Canada. And I would love for us to actually start discussing those honestly, so they don't ever escalate to the level of frustration we see south of us.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:11 AM

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It took me a while to come back to see if there was feedback. I wasn't sure if the comments would've been positive. I've seen a lot of hateful comments the past few days.

Surprisingly, I actually experienced more racism living on the Ottawa side than the Gatineau side. I lived near the hospital in Gatineau and regularly had older people smile and say hi to me. It always threw me off. I'd look around to see if they were talking to me.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:18 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Wow. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It took me a while to come back to see if there was feedback. I wasn't sure if the comments would've been positive. I've seen a lot of hateful comments the past few days.

Surprisingly, I actually experienced more racism living on the Ottawa side than the Gatineau side. I lived near the hospital in Gatineau and regularly had older people smile and say hi to me. It always threw me off. I'd look around to see if they were talking to me.
That is reassuring though I am sure as you know it exists on this side of the river too.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I’m so sorry that you have to deal with that garbage. It seems like in the current environment, particularly south of the border, those types are emboldened. You see them peddling their despicable views more openly than in the past. All the more reason to speak up and make it clear those “opinions” have no place in our country.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

We must remember that the actions of those four police officers is what triggered this crisis. Firing the police officers and subsequently only charging one AFTER the protests started, with third degree murder to boot, is an insult.
Canadians really overestimate their understanding of the US. For many Americans the flag and anthem are sacred. It was the same when largely whites were protesting wars by burning or stepping on flags. Another group supports the police and rightly point out on further investigation many of the killings end up being justified and they have zero sympathy for criminals whatever happens to them. An interesting example is a white man was killed in almost the same manner as Floyd last year in Dallas and it barely got covered at all. And of course sure there are lots of racists who wanted Kaepernick fired as well. I thought it would have been great if the CFL brought him in. I guess he has transcended football at this point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion