HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
360 N Annex (Sunday)

I'm a little surprised how transparent that glass is. Think they'd maybe glaze/tint it after installing it?
Wow looks better than I expected. I don't think it needs any glaze/tint it's the only source of natural light and it's facing North West. This picture might be showing close to the most direct light it will get all year

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:34 AM

360 Aug 21

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:48 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-be-far-behind

Quote:
August 26, 2015
After sale of site off Mag Mile, could high-rise proposal be far behind?
By Alby Gallun

A new developer is poised to take a swing at a high-rise project just off the Magnificent Mile after another one with a plan to build a 45-story hotel tower on the site struck out last year.

A venture including Chicago-based developer Golub paid $22 million last month for the property at 740 N. Rush St., currently home to a Giordano's pizza parlor, according to Cook County property records. Golub has owned and developed office and residential buildings in downtown Chicago, with one apartment tower under construction in Streeterville and another one under way in the South Loop.

It's unclear what Golub has in mind at 740 N. Rush—company executives didn't return calls—but don't expect it to look like a development plan for the property that Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) shot down last year. A joint venture between River North landlord Albert Friedman and Merrillville, Ind.-based White Lodging Services proposed a 620-room hotel development there that would have included two hotels, a Hyatt Place and a Hyatt House, but Reilly opposed the plan, saying it would have generated too much traffic in an already congested neighborhood.

Reilly did not return a call.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:55 PM

Deja vu. Will they follow the proper aldermanic courtship ritual this time?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:09 PM
MPLSXCHI

Has anybody heard anything on the wabash lot?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:13 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
I read that Reilly is mulling over a run for US Congress. Perhaps we won't have to endure his antics for too much longer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:17 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Careful does it.....

The devil you know/the devil you don't

and all.........

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I think word on the street was that it's rectilinear. Once bitten, twice shy I guess.
More like twice bitten.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:16 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I read that Reilly is mulling over a run for US Congress. Perhaps we won't have to endure his antics for too much longer.

Oh no..

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
First the developer must present and entice the alderman with its spermatophylax, offering promises of both fertilization and continued campaign nutrition. If the alderman is displeased with the size of the offering it immediately seizes the head of its mate in it's jaws crushing it and consuming the body.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:24 PM

Quote:
The developers did last time. They don't just set up a neighborhood meeting. The go to the alderman first with their proposal. It was killed because the NIMBYs screamed about the lack of parking that the project had.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:35 PM

McCormick Place Speedbump

Heard some interesting news on the McHugh project the other day:

Apparently the data center that was signed on to this project dropped out of the deal less than a week before it was due to close. One source I know says it's back to the drawing board for the whole project. Another source says the hotel portion is still moving forward while the data center site searches for a new tenant.

Interesting none-the-less.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Apparently the data center that was signed on to this project dropped out of the deal less than a week before it was due to close. One source I know says it's back to the drawing board for the whole project. Another source says the hotel portion is still moving forward while the data center site searches for a new tenant.

Too bad about the setback, but selfishly pleased for the extra time to save up for my down payment on a Motor Row loft before it gets out of my price range.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvanderwright View Post
first the developer must present and entice the alderman with its spermatophylax, offering promises of both fertilization and continued campaign nutrition. If the alderman is displeased with the size of the offering it immediately seizes the head of its mate in it's jaws crushing it and consuming the body.
rofl

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Too bad about the setback, but selfishly pleased for the extra time to save up for my down payment on a Motor Row loft before it gets out of my price range.
The entirety of motor row south of Cermak is zoned DS which means no residential allowed because we need "downtown services", like the salons, gyms, and vacant space. The only reason I give DS zoning a pass on Motor Row is that nearly all of the buildings are built on incredibly deep lots and go lot line to lot line. Not exactly ideal for residential conversion, but could make excellent night clubs or entertainment spaces if only there was enough residential density to demand that.

There are a handful of existing buildings that were converted to residential before the zoning change, so if you are looking to buy, those are the only shots you will get.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:21 PM
you know where I'll be

McHugh Project

Interesting news on that.

I'm hoping LVDW's second-mentioned source is the one truly 'in the know' on this one......would be nice to get that one rolling concurrent with Marriott Marquis and arena........figure out the data center piece later, I say (or better yet, switch that to a residential building.....

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:27 PM

Quote:
The entirety of motor row south of Cermak is zoned DS which means no residential allowed because we need "downtown services", like the salons, gyms, and vacant space. The only reason I give DS zoning a pass on Motor Row is that nearly all of the buildings are built on incredibly deep lots and go lot line to lot line. Not exactly ideal for residential conversion, but could make excellent night clubs or entertainment spaces if only there was enough residential density to demand that.

There are a handful of existing buildings that were converted to residential before the zoning change, so if you are looking to buy, those are the only shots you will get.
Yeah, the handful of loft buildings that already exist is where I've been looking. I think that stretch has the potential to become Printers Row-like in the coming years. My parents bought into Printers Row in the mid-80s and it felt similar in a lot of ways.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Heard some interesting news on the McHugh project the other day:

I have been peripherally involved in the McCormick projects, but my understanding was that the data center behind the ABC building was on hold indefinitely, as the north face of the ABC building is now being designed/treated for long term visibility.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:54 PM

Man, I just saw Antunovich today at the British School ribbon cutting. I could have asked him about the hotel project thing.

I hope the data center client dropping out doesn't kill the whole thing. They're probably shopping it around to other providers in the area. "Pre-designed data warehouse facility! Just sign and pay!"

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I have been peripherally involved in the McCormick projects, but my understanding was that the data center behind the ABC building was on hold indefinitely, as the north face of the ABC building is now being designed/treated for long term visibility.
Must remove all traces of character.
Jan 10

July 19

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations