HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Chinese are buying in Vancouver just because it's on the west coast. In the east, in Montréal, the majority of international buyers of large single-family homes are from China, Syria, Mexico, Russia and the U.S. They typically are married with children. Work in finance, technology, law or are entrepreneurs.
If you say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
At that level, there is usually no line.
You're not going to get much of an argument out of me on that one.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
If you say so.

You're not going to get much of an argument out of me on that one.
the weather is better on the west coast too, but the proximity is why you will find more Chinese in San Fransisco than in Miami.

Quote:
One potential hurdle: Unlike gateway cities on the West Coast and New York, Miami has no direct flights to mainland China and no Chinese consulate.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/miami-co...ers-1418765925

there is still no direct flights to China from Montréal, but that will change in 2015.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Mar 11, 2015 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
ops - got that wrong. the original owner was Vancouver entrepreneur Don Mattrick, CEO of social gaming company Zynga and former Electronic Arts executive
Well he did found the studio that is EA Canada.

Majority of his wealth came from his wife, the daughter of some Quebec Energy executive.

While working for Microsoft Xbox division, he remained in Vancouver and worked out of his home.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Well he did found the studio that is EA Canada.

Majority of his wealth came from his wife, the daughter of some Quebec Energy executive.

While working for Microsoft Xbox division, he remained in Vancouver and worked out of his home.
The wife is Nanon de Gaspé Beaubien-Mattrick (extraordinary name, no?). I assume she's the granddaughter (?) of Philippe de Gaspé Beaubien, O.C.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 12:37 AM

here is BC's most expensive home by assessed value. Lululemon founder Chip wilson consolidated 3 lots in Kits and built a 30,000sq/ft house.

assessed value in 2014 was $57.6million. took 6 years to build and look, you get a little patch of grass!

Photo http://bc.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.2..._620/image.jpg

Photo http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/...ticleLarge.jpg

love to see others from other provinces!

Last edited by Delirium; Mar 12, 2015 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
New money doesn't understand why some old money houses are so large - they are to house the servants, clerks, hands and maids that were needed to administer the various enterprises that the owner have or, more usually, had.
I live in a North York nabe full of nouveau riche cluevoids in McMansions, and almost all have an in-home Filipino "nanny" who does everything from watching the kids to shopping, to cooking, to cleaning, to walking the dog. Needless to say, these yuppies don't care to soil their fingers with snow shovelling or lawn mowing either, so a couple of quick phone calls sends proles in pickups roaring up at all hours of the night and day for those tasks.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 12:54 AM

This house was discussed in the Vancouver section last year: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=207078

The original asking price was around 58M, so 51.8M sounds like a deal.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Excuse me? Are you implying that all Chinese people in Canada are like this? Because that's not true. There's over a million Chinese-Canadians who just as Canadian as you or I.
Not all, why would you assume that. There are plenty of Chinese families who struggle to make mortgage payments and work crappy jobs. But in Vancouver there is a large cadre of astronauts who dump their kids and sometimes wife here, while they continue to work and profit from an oppressive totalitarian regime. Apparently criticizing that group's large part in driving Vancouver home prices to obscene levels is racist, lol.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:44 AM

The Vancouver Sun recently had an article on the upswing in high end houses being sold to the Chinese due to the falling value of the CDN$ against the Yaun and because Chinese officials are clamping down on corrupt business/bureaucrats who are sending money overseas. The article totally admitted that the Chinese are coming to Vancouver due to their own corruption which is how they made their millions.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 9:30 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
love to see others from other provinces!
I'm not sure that information is public here, unless it's federally regulated?

I'd guess, though, that King Danny's place is probably up there. It's at the top left:

March 7, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

It's in Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, which is only a couple of minutes from the East End of town. Not far enough out for any sort of rural discount on the price.

As for price, I've never seen anything here for more than $5 million.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The Vancouver Sun recently had an article on the upswing in high end houses being sold to the Chinese due to the falling value of the CDN$ against the Yaun and because Chinese officials are clamping down on corrupt business/bureaucrats who are sending money overseas. The article totally admitted that the Chinese are coming to Vancouver due to their own corruption which is how they made their millions.
China is by no means the most corrupt. Its somewhere in the middle of the world according to a list i saw

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 11:32 PM

The most valuable home in Alberta seems to be Kettle Lake Ranch about 15 minutes outside of Calgary, once owned by the Fords. It was listed once a few years ago for nearly $40M. Although it seems to be going for a little less now.

CBC

Meanwhile, the most expensive home in Calgary, according to the city's property assessments, is 27 Pump Hill Close. Perhaps a better perspective is from Google Earth. The city's property assessment pegged it at $19.7M.

Last edited by VIce; Mar 17, 2015 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 1:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Own a piece of Ancaster for just $78 million

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/59...st-78-million/

Memo to the Brampton person who won Friday's $60 million Lotto Max draw: scrounge up another $18 million — which would now seem like pocket change to you, I'm sure — and you could be the proud owner of the most expensive piece of property up for sale in Hamilton.

The 69-hectare (171-acre) parcel, on Garner Road East between Highway 6 and Fiddlers Green Road in Ancaster, is on the market for $78 million.

And while the value of the land is connected to its potential for commercial and industrial development, you won't have to pitch a tent because there is a house on the property.

Not too shabby of a house either.

Built in 1995 by developer Frank Silvestri as his family home, the mansion was reported to be 31,000 square feet at the time of its construction, with 11 bathrooms, a 14-car garage and a master bedroom that measured 1,500 square feet on its own.

Silvestri told The Spectator back then that it might have been the largest single family home in the country.

The land is situated about four kilometres northwest of the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport and is owned by a company associated with the Silvestri family.

Barry Gray,The Hamilton Spectator

Barry Gray,The Hamilton Spectator

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:00 PM
video et taceo

Terrible proportions on these. The record-breaker looks like an (admittedly upmarket) ski resort in Bulgaria, the Alberta one is made out of a fireplace from 1972 and the Ancaster one can't decide whether to be a big house or a little one. Look at the dormers.

We once knew how to build mansions but then we forgot.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Terrible proportions on these.
Contemporary 'modest' sized housing has the same problem.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:06 PM

So, this isn't Canada's or even Vancouver's most expensive house, but the yearly property tax bill made my eyes water! Is that a record for an urban, SFH residential property?

Lot Size 90 ft x 254 ft (22927 ft²)
Property Age Built in 2000 (19 yrs old)
Gross Taxes for 2019 $125,859

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R24029...ch_type=search

Check out the interior shots tho

Last edited by whatnext; Oct 9, 2019 at 7:22 PM. Reason: added detail

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:18 PM
I am the law!

Not my taste at all.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I live in a North York nabe full of nouveau riche cluevoids in McMansions, and almost all have an in-home Filipino "nanny" who does everything from watching the kids to shopping, to cooking, to cleaning, to walking the dog. Needless to say, these yuppies don't care to soil their fingers with snow shovelling or lawn mowing either, so a couple of quick phone calls sends proles in pickups roaring up at all hours of the night and day for those tasks.
Our daughter lives in North Toronto and deals with those types of families daily in her job and you have certainly got them figured out. Not a lifestyle I would want to aspire to.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:27 PM

Yeah no thanks!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Not my taste at all.
How does Toronto's property taxes on SFH compare?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada