HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 5:21 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique View Post
New York Times article today: (and it has nothing to do with MuRdEr-KaPiTal-oF-CaNaDa bullshit)

Defying Trend, Canada Lures More Migrants

Immigrant workers at the Palliser furniture factory in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The province tries to attract semi-skilled workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/13/wo...s/13immig.html
They just had to mention the weather

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 5:35 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
They just had to mention the weather
Interesting article. The weather is hereditary though.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Interesting article. The weather is hereditary though.
is it just me or is the weather getting warmer in Winnipeg?

I dont recall November being this warm growing up!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:49 PM
I am a typical

When I was little we would get snow in mid-October. That hasn't happened in years.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 9:00 PM

vid, why dont you just get it over with and move to Winnipeg

edit: that is unless your location is misleading ..

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 6:16 AM
BANNED

^ I second that, move Vid to Winnipeg, anyone have an empty storage shed on their property for him to live in?

from trailerparkboys.org

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 6:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i've been working on kidnaping him for seveal yrs now

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 6:19 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ I second that, move Vid to Winnipeg, anyone have an empty storage shed on their property for him to live in?
Can you claim rent for shed property rental? lol

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:47 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique View Post
New York Times article today: (and it has nothing to do with MuRdEr-KaPiTal-oF-CaNaDa bullshit)

Defying Trend, Canada Lures More Migrants

Immigrant workers at the Palliser furniture factory in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The province tries to attract semi-skilled workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/13/wo...s/13immig.html
companies such as palliser should be ashamed for not hiring locals who would try and try to get an interview yet they are disfavored by the race card which is complete bs.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
companies such as palliser should be ashamed for not hiring locals who would try and try to get an interview yet they are disfavored by the race card which is complete bs.
You're kidding, right?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:13 PM
I am a typical

Immigrants are locals. I know of people who sound like they're just off the boat but they've been here for 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i've been working on kidnaping him for seveal yrs now
Worst. Kidnapper. Ever.

Seriously, man. Get on with it!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:26 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
You're kidding, right?
I know lots people who can't afford college and university.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I know lots people who can't afford college and university.
That doesn't have anything to do with the post you made... Maybe you can explain why companies should be ashamed of hiring immigrants, and how they are playing the race card as you mentioned...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:38 PM
visionary

Quote:
That doesn't have anything to do with the post you made... Maybe you can explain why companies should be ashamed of hiring immigrants, and how they are playing the race card as you mentioned...
the government sponsors (business and government cheap labor agreement) therefore the locals are at a disadvantage. The only way a local would have a chance is if they know someone who works there.

and the locals that are poor can't afford post secondary education are the ones who fall in the cracks.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:10 PM

Quote:
the government sponsors (business and government cheap labor agreement) therefore the locals are at a disadvantage. The only way a local would have a chance is if they know someone who works there.

and the locals that are poor can't afford post secondary education are the ones who fall in the cracks.
First of all, once immigrants move here, they are also locals.
Second, I'm not sure what "cheap labour agreement" you are talking about - immigrants fall under the same minimum wage standards as natural born residents
Third, you really believe that immigration is so rampant (as if it's a bad thing) that the only way locals can find jobs is through some sort of inside connections? With Manitoba having one of the lowest unemployment rates in north america, I think your buddies need to start looking harder before blaming immigrants for their woes.
Fourth, in terms of "poor locals", I'm not sure what kind of post-secondary education you need to work at a furniture factory.
Lastly, you mentioned that Paliser and others were playing the "race card": What advantages do they reap by hiring immigrants over locals? Are all immigrants racial minorities?

I don't think you realize how most immigration works in Canada. We're not bringing in "cheap" labour from overseas - Rather, for the most part, we're brining in skilled labour, to fill specific voids in the economy. Most immigrants have some means when they get here, or its their family joining them once they're established. Unfortunately, foreign credentials are often not recognized: The government should work to expedite accreditation/upgrading programs so that immigrants skills can be optimized here in Winnipeg. That way, those darn immigrants won't keep "stealing" your buddies' manual labour jobs at "race-card playing" companies like Paliser, as you claim

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

from trailerparkboys.org

great one rrskylar

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Second, I'm not sure what "cheap labour agreement" you are talking about - immigrants fall under the same minimum wage standards as natural born residents
Third, you really believe that immigration is so rampant (as if it's a bad thing) that the only way locals can find jobs is through some sort of inside connections? With Manitoba having one of the lowest unemployment rates in north america, I think your buddies need to start looking harder before blaming immigrants for their woes.
Fourth, in terms of "poor locals", I'm not sure what kind of post-secondary education you need to work at a furniture factory.
Lastly, you mentioned that Paliser and others were playing the "race card": What advantages do they reap by hiring immigrants over locals? Are all immigrants racial minorities?

I don't think you realize how most immigration works in Canada. We're not bringing in "cheap" labour from overseas - Rather, for the most part, we're brining in skilled labour, to fill specific voids in the economy. Most immigrants have some means when they get here, or its their family joining them once they're established. Unfortunately, foreign credentials are often not recognized: The government should work to expedite accreditation/upgrading programs so that immigrants skills can be optimized here in Winnipeg. That way, those darn immigrants won't keep "stealing" your buddies' manual labour jobs at "race-card playing" companies like Paliser, as you claim
This might not be what you two are talking about, but I know of many people who have credentials in other countries that once they move here they cannot use simply because the Canadian gov't doesn't recognize it or puts them through some serious hurdles to "activate" said credentials.

I suppose this is both good and bad; good in the sense you screen out a lot of people whose credentials are "lackluster" (see Pharmaceutical controversy in Ontario regarding Egyptian trained pharmacists) but bad in the sense these immigrant families have a tougher time than your "typical" Canadian family

(the issue of being a minority doesn't quite play into this, as a Canadian raised family could be minorities too, theoretically)

Then again, I might have jumped into the completely wrong discussion here and you two were talking about something else

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 2:13 AM
visionary

Quote:

I am not racist I am merely stating facts, the government does sponsor new immigrants as they pay half of minimum wage for the employer to the immigrant.

What I mean by saying poor locals is they are the one who need the jobs the most and have no means to get a post secondary education.

I do find it pretty sad to hear many immigrant educational degree are not recognized here. Yet the stupid thing the government does not tell them before get here. So when they get here they are forced to work low paying jobs. When I hear that I think its intentional to get cheap labor here. Why else are they not told?

Why does it matter when you fill an application and it asks you if you are in the visible minority? Everyone should have the equal opportunity to get that job.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 2:34 AM

Quote:
I am not racist I am merely stating facts, the government does sponsor new immigrants as they pay half of minimum wage for the employer to the immigrant.

What I mean by saying poor locals is they are the one who need the jobs the most and have no means to get a post secondary education.

I do find it pretty sad to hear many immigrant educational degree are not recognized here. Yet the stupid thing the government does not tell them before get here. So when they get here they are forced to work low paying jobs. When I hear that I think its intentional to get cheap labor here. Why else are they not told?

Why does it matter when you fill an application and it asks you if you are in the visible minority? Everyone should have the equal opportunity to get that job.
I'm unaware of the program your talking about, where the government pays half of the wage. Please send me the link to that government policy...
I highly doubt that the government is intentionally misleading immigrants to bring in cheap labour - How is immigrant labour any cheaper than the other unemployed people already here? They have to make minimum wage regardless...

And finally, you say yourself that "everyone should have the equal opportunity to get that job". If that is your view, then why were you arguing in your first post that it was unfair that immigrants were being hired over locals? For those that argue that visible minorities somehow have everything handed to them, and that caucasians are suffering because of this, give your head a shake...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:31 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Ontario's welfare programme will pay for much the education of anyone who is a client of them, though there is a complex application programme and certain things they will or will not assist you with. With the recession, the province also started a massive retraining programme, which was free to anyone who needed it. Low income people have a lot of opportunities to get post-secondary educations, whether they're young or older and need to learn a new skill because their job is gone. People just don't know about this. The advertising budget for these programmes? $0. Compare that to the advertising for immigrants... My city has a website that was professionally translated into a dozen languages. The priorities are a bit mixed up. In our case we can barely employ ourselves. I'm not sure if getting unskilled immigrants is a good idea. But we have a doctor shortage, so as long as he speaks English, I have no problem with Dr. Singh.

Quote:
Yet the stupid thing the government does not tell them before get here. So when they get here they are forced to work low paying jobs. When I hear that I think its intentional to get cheap labor here. Why else are they not told?
It isn't the governments responsibility. The people in the old country helping them with their immigration don't make it clear, or perhaps the institution that granted them the degree misled them about where it was valid. It should be brought up when they apply to the Canadian government to immigrate but before that, it has no responsibility to inform everyone thinking of moving here about what is and is not recognized.

Quote:
I agree that ethnicity should be hidden from job applications. Even names (which can hint at ethnicity, or even mislead--my last name is Jewish, but I'm not) ages and genders should be hidden. They should focus purely on skills and past experiences to narrow it down at first. There are probably many employers in the private sector who would throw away applications from names or ethnicities they don't like, just as the government seems to ignore white males.

Although in the government's case, I do think it is good to make sure that the demographics of the employees are a close match to the demographics of the region it serves. But then where do you draw the line? Should we have a mandatory requirement of 10 Chinese-Canadian MPs?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan