HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 2:59 PM

^The cost v the benefit would not be worth it. Building that tall in LA doesn't make much sense especially for residental. While I would love more height added to the skyline 100 floor towers won't happen and probably shouldn't.

I think 40-50 stories is fair for that location, but even then it would make more sense to build several smaller buildings and connect downtown with the Arts District.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Is 60 or 70 stories too much to ask?
probably yes.

the segment that suggests the issues of the past will remain an issue in the future.....city national bank's expansion thankfully notwithstanding....is around 2:32......

Video Link

at least LA live's awkward looking light towers have been retrofitted with curved screens....

Video Link

when I see the sidewalks in dt during various hours of any day looking surprisingly very quiet, the city at those moments always seems to me like it must have a population similar to boise's or duluth's. Or everyone in LA prefers living, working, playing & text messaging on crowded fwys.

Packing more residents into dt....instead of so many them being flung all over So cal.....& thereby help reduce traffic & commuting times....is a work in progress.

anything connected to the idea of new devlpt in dtla being as tall as possible appears like it will remain dependent for yrs into the future on space mainly for apts & condos. so getting more ppl to move to & live in dt is going to determine the future.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 5:45 PM

I think some of you are really oblivious to how things work...more residents living in DTLA will definitely increase foot traffic, BUT, OMG the traffic will become insane! The rush hour traffic in DTLA is already pretty bad, its going to become worse as more residents are moving into DTLA. Some people on here complain, but no other city is building residents in their downtown like DTLA is doing now. It's incredible what's going on here. Keep in mind, LA has homes that can overlook the ocean, the mountains/canyons, cliffs, etc. These other major metropolises don't offer the things that LA proper offers. On anther note, the word is getting out. One of my eclectic friends in NYC said to me last week that he has to come visit DTLA. I was somewhat surprised that those was his exact words. He even said that he has a couple of friends that moved here over the summer because of the energy that have started to their knowledge a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post

I think some of you are really oblivious to how things work...more residents living in DTLA will definitely increase foot traffic, BUT, OMG the traffic will become insane! The rush hour traffic in DTLA is already pretty bad, its going to become worse as more residents are moving into DTLA. Some people on here complain, but no other city is building residents in their downtown like DTLA is doing now. It's incredible what's going on here. Keep in mind, LA has homes that can overlook the ocean, the mountains/canyons, cliffs, etc. These other major metropolises don't offer the things that LA proper offers. On anther note, the word is getting out. One of my eclectic friends in NYC said to me last week that he has to come visit DTLA. I was somewhat surprised that those was his exact words. He even said that he has a couple of friends that moved here over the summer because of the energy that have started to their knowledge a couple of years ago.
And your point is? I'm afraid that it is pretty much impossible to have human vibrancy in a location without some chance overcrowding. And, is this not the point at which you have success? Let the outcome decide its own fate (in other words, water will seek it's own level).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 9:59 PM

Someone a few pages back asked for a rendering of the future skyline, so here's what I've got. Even in its latest iteration I think im still missing a few things, and some of these projects may very well be dead (I just removed the so called Stationers Building for example). Blue = U/C Green = recently completed, Grey = Proposed.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 10:08 PM

That looks incredible! Great job regardless of missing a couple. You should add the two tower hotel proposal just south of Circa, and maybe a rough estimate of the 48-story proposed by Onni about a week ago?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
And your point is? I'm afraid that it is pretty much impossible to have human vibrancy in a location without some chance overcrowding. And, is this not the point at which you have success? Let the outcome decide its own fate (in other words, water will seek it's own level).
My point as far as traffic is concern is simply that traffic will be in DTLA too, which isn't a bad thing. The attraction the other areas of LA causes traffic, and Downtown will have that same attraction. So let's not gripe about "everyone in LA prefers living, working, playing & text messaging on crowded fwys" traffic will be in all of the cool vibrant areas.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 10:57 PM

Thank you for posting about City National, Citywatch. With Spantik's awesome skyline rendering I'm sure this will get passed over, but this is a big deal. Until vacancy tightens significantly Downtown, we won't see significant new office development outside of the Arts District. 300,000sf is a very large chunk to be taken down, and an additional 1,500 high-income workers is a bonus too!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
My point as far as traffic is concern is simply that traffic will be in DTLA too, which isn't a bad thing. The attraction the other areas of LA causes traffic, and Downtown will have that same attraction. So let's not gripe about "everyone in LA prefers living, working, playing & text messaging on crowded fwys" traffic will be in all of the cool vibrant areas.
Traffic has gotten pretty bad downtown and I think that's a good thing because when it's not busy there are too many people driving 10-20 mph over the speed limit. A big part of why it's gotten so bad is that so many lanes are closed for building construction and it looks like it'll be this way for at least the next several years. Hopefully we can figure a way to make this permanent. Streets like Flower, Olive, and Grand are so much more pedestrian friendly with a traffic lane removed.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 7:13 AM
life is good

There is constant pedestrian "traffic" dtla day and night. Where are ya'll walking???

Maybe near LA Live but that's kind of a dead zone because of all the construction and closed streets (due to construction). That will be changing shortly. There always a ton of people walking throughout the Historic Core. If anything there is a dearth of sidewalk space and some road diets and sidewalk widenings need to occur.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 7:47 AM

Thumbs up Good addition to Broadway!!

New Footaction and Kicks Lounge Open on Broadway in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2016/12/18/new...y-downtown-la/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball View Post
there is constant pedestrian "traffic" dtla day and night. Where are ya'll walking???

Maybe near la live but that's kind of a dead zone because of all the construction and closed streets (due to construction). That will be changing shortly. There always a ton of people walking throughout the historic core. If anything there is a dearth of sidewalk space and some road diets and sidewalk widenings need to occur.
Totally agreed!!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post

New Footaction and Kicks Lounge Open on Broadway in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2016/12/18/new...y-downtown-la/
This is a tremendous step. Now, if the adjacent building owner to the north would remove that horrible glass curtain and renovate his building that would be better.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 4:21 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
^The cost v the benefit would not be worth it. Building that tall in LA doesn't make much sense especially for residental. While I would love more height added to the skyline 100 floor towers won't happen and probably shouldn't.

I think 40-50 stories is fair for that location, but even then it would make more sense to build several smaller buildings and connect downtown with the Arts District.
I'd take five 30 story buildings over one 100 story building any day.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
There is constant pedestrian "traffic" dtla day and night. Where are ya'll walking???

Maybe near LA Live but that's kind of a dead zone because of all the construction and closed streets (due to construction). That will be changing shortly. There always a ton of people walking throughout the Historic Core. If anything there is a dearth of sidewalk space and some road diets and sidewalk widenings need to occur.
We all seem to be on the same page. Who are you disagreeing with?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Now, if the adjacent building owner to the north would remove that horrible glass curtain and renovate his building that would be better.
Just saw that - wooooow who ever thought that was a good idea?! I mean, they didn't even do the entire thing!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 11:49 PM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I'd take five 30 story buildings over one 100 story building any day.
Ditto.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parking Podiums View Post
Just saw that - wooooow who ever thought that was a good idea?! I mean, they didn't even do the entire thing!
I forgot to say that hopefully the new owner of the Merrit building will renovate with some thought and money and is not as big of a greedy slob as many of the other building owners on Broadway.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 6:32 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
We all seem to be on the same page. Who are you disagreeing with?
this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citywatch
when I see the sidewalks in dt during various hours of any day looking surprisingly very quiet,
I agree with you tho Easy everyone else seemed to be in agreement

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post

Well, L.A. city has about 1.5 million more people than Chicago, and land costs are as high, so why shouldn't L.A. have a 90 or 100 story tower? Chicago has several. Grand should be GRAND. "Make no little plans"..Burnham.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 20, 2016 at 11:25 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations