HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 1:44 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Article is behind a paywall, but essentially says that the developer is making a renewed push to get this thing built. I for one thought this was dead. It might die yet, but it's good to see they haven't quite given up on it at this point. Some modifications to it - by my count, they've reduced the height from 38 to 32 floors, for example.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...hose%20efforts.
I'll believe it when I see it-- note that this same developer has failed to build on this lot since 1988.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
FYI...Article said could be as high as 30 stories. This thing is no where near 500 ft. It would be nice to get something over 500ft but that's highly unlikely.
It depends on the floor to floor height. Comcast 1's floor to floor is about 17 feet. at 30 stories x 17 feet = 510'.
However, the original design called for 38 stories / 547 feet, which equates to a little over 14' floor to floor. 14' x 30 stories = 420'. So who knows.
14' is kind of low for an office building, though.

Last edited by thoughtcriminal; Jun 22, 2020 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
FYI...Article said could be as high as 30 stories. This thing is no where near 500 ft. It would be nice to get something over 500ft but that's highly unlikely.
30 stories can be anything from 350-500 feet depending on the floor size... and considering this is an office building it’s much more likely to be on the taller side of that spectrum...

This will top 400’ without a doubt.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 5:40 PM

^
And that is still ok with me! This is a pretty chunky tower, it'll bring a lot of mass to the east side of the city. Only unfortunate that it'll block City Hall from the Camden view, along with the renovated Jefferson Tower

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 6:59 PM

Yeah, this is an office building, which means high floor to ceiling height ratios. 30 floors would be roughly 420 feet, and 32 floors would be roughly 460 feet. I'm fine with either of those heights still.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
^
And that is still ok with me! This is a pretty chunky tower, it'll bring a lot of mass to the east side of the city. Only unfortunate that it'll block City Hall from the Camden view, along with the renovated Jefferson Tower
Jefferson Tower is East of this plot. IT will block THIS, not the other way around.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:35 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
^
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Jefferson Tower is East of this plot. IT will block THIS, not the other way around.
You mean Jefferson Center. Recall that they amended their signage application to change from Jefferson Tower to Jefferson Center; the latter is the name now appearing on their Market St and 11th St entrances.

https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...%20MARKET%20ST

Permit Number
Application Type
ZONING/USE PERMIT
Permit Type
SIGNAC
Date Issued
Wed Oct 09 2019

Work Description
FOR THE REPLACEMENT OF TWO (2) ACCESSORY, STATICALLY ILLUMINATED MARQUEE SIGNS (SIGN #2 ON PLANS; CHANGING COPY FROM "JEFFERSON TOWER" TO "JEFFERSON CENTER") ATOP THE MARQUEES OVER THE MARKET ST AND 11TH ST ENTRANCES TO AN EXISTING ATTACHED STRUCTURE, SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN ON PLAN/APPLICATION; NO CHANGES TO ALL OTHER PREVIOUSLY APPROVED AND EXISTING SIGNS FROM AP#980027. SIGNS ACCESSORY TO ALL USES WITHIN THE EXISTING ATTACHED STRUCTURE.
Status
COMPLETED

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:16 AM

Yes I know Jefferson is to the East of this site. And I did not know they changed the name, thank you for the info

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:35 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:48 PM
Future World Dictator

I like it! Somewhat shocked by this development tbh but seems like there's at least a realistic chance this happens.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 6:57 PM

delete, repost

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 7:04 PM

So I just did some very inexact "dead reckoning" to try to figure out the floor to floor height of this gem. Using the Mariott hotel next door, which has a 11.36' floor to floor height (250' height / 22 stories), I am estimating that 1301 Market comes in about 16.25' floor to floor, which comes out to 487.5' to the roof. Add in some additional height for the rooftop structure, and it might just come in somewhere close to 500'.
Again, this is just estimating, using a rendering instead of actual photos, and the rendering looks like it has squashed the images vertically, but the proportions might be more or less right.
Also consider that floors 1, 12, and 22 are taller than the others, so that will push it even closer to 500'.
Who knows.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
So I just did some very inexact "dead reckoning" to try to figure out the floor to floor height of this gem. Using the Mariott hotel next door, which has a 11.36' floor to floor height (250' height / 22 stories), I am estimating that 1301 Market comes in about 16.25' floor to floor, which comes out to 487.5' to the roof. Add in some additional height for the rooftop structure, and it might just come in somewhere close to 500'.
Again, this is just estimating, using a rendering instead of actual photos, and the rendering looks like it has squashed the images vertically, but the proportions might be more or less right.
Also consider that floors 1, 12, and 22 are taller than the others, so that will push it even closer to 500'.
Who knows.
Excellent work.

I agree that this thing will probably just barely scrape 500’.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Excellent work.

Unless Jefferson needs the additional space, I don't see this ever getting built. Demand is simply not there for it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Excellent work.

Until someone comes along and puts their name down for leasing a big hunk of floor space, we might as well be talking about what color glass is going to be used as the final height. Patience grasshopper.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Unless Jefferson needs the additional space, I don't see this ever getting built. Demand is simply not there for it.
Oh for God's sake. You were the first one to comment when this was first announced, saying you give it a 40% chance. That was like 4 years ago.
We *get* it.
Anything of substance to add, or are you just going to troll?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Until someone comes along and puts their name down for leasing a big hunk of floor space, we might as well be talking about what color glass is going to be used as the final height. Patience grasshopper.
I posted about this in another thread but might be worth mentioning here too-- could this snippet from the PBJ have anything to do with this construction?

Philadelphia positioned for continued growth, panel says, if government gets on board
Quote:
Drucker & Scaccetti CEO Jane Scaccetti disagreed with the sentiment that businesses don’t want to be located in Philadelphia. She said her e-commerce clients are interested in coming into the city. Most of their talent pool is coming from California, New York and Washington, and they like what they see with Comcast making a huge impact in addition to the education and life sciences sectors. That has created a desirable talent pool. She said she spoke with one large e-commerce company that is looking at moving into the city and could bring close to 10,000 new jobs to the region.
10000 jobs from an ecommerce company would be HUGE and certainly call for a ton of space. I'd love to know who she's talking about- it's an out of region entity that mentioned investing here big time, so its quite a rarity. Etsy? Shipt? Walmart.com? I know it's totally speculative but I haven't seen anyone post about this potential employer before.

Otherwise, doesn't CHOP occupy the Wanamaker across the street? Have they outgrown their digs there? They certainly have a track record for leasing new construction.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 11:09 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPassyunk1 View Post
Otherwise, doesn't CHOP occupy the Wanamaker across the street? Have they outgrown their digs there? They certainly have a track record for leasing new construction.
I don't know whether CHOP is in the Wanamaker office space, but I recall they were in Centre Square. Of course they also have their own multi-phase construction program underway on the eastern bank of the Schuylkill immediately south of the South St Bridge, across the river from their main campus.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 6:01 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
I could of sworn Philly is a big hub for science and Medical.....another step to making the city better/more populated would be projects like this.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I could of sworn Philly is a big hub for science and Medical.....another step to making the city better/more populated would be projects like this.
It's big and it was on a roll until COVID put the breaks on the world. This announcement is certainly positive, but always good to be cautiously optimistic I suppose. Besides, lots of those science based companies seem to need / like custom builds that are more suited for Navy Yard and West Philly.

Even though those districts have shockingly attracted out of town established companies, I can't see a 500 foot tower of science labs being built (especially on spec). Hoping more will be revealed-- lots of potential here!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals